Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffyclou

What's this insect?

FluffyClou
9 years ago

{{gwi:533165}}

This part of the plant is probably dead - but what is the name of that insect there? Is that harmful?

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

I don't know the green insect, but what's harmful there is the white fuzzy, cottony stuff. That is known as mealy bug & is highly contagious.

I'd isolate that plant PRONTO in another room from other plants then read up here on treating w/ alcohol on q-tips if you want to TRY to save it or just TOSS IT.

Sorry, but sometimes that's the best & cheapest option.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Pretty sure the insect(the one that isn't mealy)is a katydid nymph.

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

By the way, can I say that it's the mealy bug's fault that's why my plant became like this? :p

I'd look it up and see if I can actually save it. There's a green sprout at the bottom of this plant.

Thanks again :)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

I can't say that AT ALL, nor would I w/out seeing the rest of the plant.

Pls. show a pic of the whole plant. I can't tell from so little of it what kind of plant it is enough to say if alcohol treatment will damage it or not.

Asleep in the ... - can you?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I would also like to see a full picture of this plant. I am not convinced it has mealy bug. Anacampseros (a type of succulent) develop white hair between their leaves.

Only a "big" picture will say one way or the other.

Planto

Here is a link that might be useful:

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

One way to tell if it's mealy,is to get at it with the aforementioned q-tip with alcohol. When touched by it you will see the little orange colored bodies under the white fuzz as it comes off.

Karen,I'm really not that good at I'Ding sux(more of a tropical guy),but some kind of crassula maybe?

Neat pic Beth!..err ...Planto!

Sharp catch! :)

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a few pics...

{{gwi:533168}}

{{gwi:533171}}

Here's how it looked like before...
    {{gwi:533173}}

Regarding the leaves, it's most likely due to rot after much rain - not sure.

Thanks again!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Asleep,
    Hehe, you can call me Beth or Planto.

FluffyClou,
    That is indeed a species of Anacampseros and the white hair is natural to them. That being said, I'm not convinced you have mealy bug, but if you want to be sure, just use the alcohol as Asleep advised.

I don't know what happened to it, but I will say in your "what it used to look like" picture, it looked a bit "etoliated" (too little light, it was stretching). I think the baby insects (katydid as asleep stated) are trying to make a snack of your plant.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 13:51

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Anacampseros ARE susceptible to mealy(just looked it up),so Q-tipping with the alcohol is probably a good idea.

Thanks Beth!
    My mom was an Elizabeth so it's easy for me to remember. :)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Asleep,
    May I ask your name? Maybe you've said before.. I am forgetful!

Haha, that's interesting (about your Mom).

I agree, no harm done in treating if she's concerned about mealy.

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

You may call me Jon if you like. :)

I'm just curious to get an update and hear whether or not it IS mealy.

My gut tells me that Karen has the right of it,but confirmation would be pretty cool.

Did you try the Q-tip yet,Fluffy?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Okay, Jon it is. And hey, thanks for having little faith in Beth! Jk! :)

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Heh....yeahhhhhh that,..

There's no doubt that you know better than I when it comes to succulents...'cuz I know very little. Honestly never even HEARD of an anacampseros til you mentioned it.

You don't think that mealy is a possibility?
    I wouldn't mind being wrong at all about this...in fact,I'm pretty sure such news would be a godsend to Fluffy.

I promise to put more faith in Beth in the future. ;)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Jon,
    No, no, you're fine! I am not always right and it may very well have mealy bug (in addition to hair). I click on her picture (of what it looks like now) and it brings me to Flickr, where I can sorta increase the size of the picture (it zooms in a bit) and it just looks like hair to me. But, I have been wrong before! I am just waiting for the OP to let us know her findings.

Frankly, I'm hoping I'm right for the simple fact (as you stated) that she wouldn't have mealy in that case.

Planto

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Nice thread you have going. Jumping in the party late (usual these days). My 2 cents: It is Anacampseros & the fuzz/hair is normal for this plant. No mealy bugs, in my opinion! =)

I have lots of Anacampseros. It has been my experience that Mealy bugs bother lots of other plants, but never these.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

That's refreshing news!

I'd typed in the word anacampseros and the word mealy,and the results that came back included a site that was saying there was a susceptibility there so I've been hedging my bets there.

But then again,as I said before,sux ain't my strong suit. :)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz