Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lithops, Hawthoria, Fenestraria, and Pleiospilos

Posted by BoulderGrower none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 17:47

I rode over to Home Depot and bought these four plants for $3.48 each...always wanted to try them as house plants. They were growing in the typical peat moss/perlite mix that was dry as a bone. I just put them in the Miracle Gro Cactus, Palm and Citrus potting soil I had on hand and will see how they grow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lithops, Hawthoria, Fenestraria, and Pleiospilos

I don't want to burst your bubble (I love your collection), but Lithops require watering at specific times of the year and can die if watered at the wrong times. I am not sure if this will be an issue for you, I just thought you might like to know.

Planto

o

I have this in my Houseplant folder:
"Lithops Culture
Gradually place in full sun - protect from rain - in summer mist - but do not water (approximately June-September) In September when weather turns cooler, begin to water once every 2-3 weeks. Fill to brim. Plants will not begin to blossom. Continue watering until blossoms are fading then stop watering (approximately December-January).
Plants are cold hardy. After flowering, the leaves will split and new ones from inside will grow. Old leaves will shrivel completely. During this period NO WATER (approximately January to March).
When new leaves are grown and old leaves completely shriveled, begin to water again. Continue watering from March until June." but it sounds like it is for plants grown outside.

If It doesn't survive I am only out $3.48.

o

The information is the same for indoors as well. Watering indoors or outdoors at the wrong time of year will kill them (rot). At least you are not out of much money if they don't make it.

Even some experts on this forum have killed a few trying to get their watering schedule just right.

I hope they survive for you though, they are interesting little plants.

Planto

o

These plant tags are interesting.

o

They are... I wouldn't water a Lithops every time it dried out unless I wanted to kill it. ;)

Certain Haworthia species go dormant in the summer and their roots can rot if watered during the summer's hottest time of the year (they go dormant when it gets too hot and watering them while they're "asleep," well, they don't absorb any of that water and their roots end up rotting). They're better known to be winter growers. That being said, I don't know about your specific Haworthia, I believe most are summer dormant, but that would be something someone else would have to chime in on and tell you for sure if that specific one you have is a summer dormant/winter grower.

I will agree about the 'Baby Toes,' they hate wet feet (no pun intended lol). They can look nice and plump one day and collapse on you the next. I gave up on those, I don't need something so... "special." :P I'm more of a water when dry kinda gal.

Planto

o

Here's my prediction:

Fenestraria will be the first to go, and it will likely etiolate noticeably. +/- 12 months.

Lithops will probably be the next, but since it is a leslei variant it may tolerate poor conditions longer than other species. +/- 18 months

Pleiospilos will hang on for dear life and slowly wither away. Needs a deep pot. +/- 18 months

Haworthia stands the best chance since it is the only plant there not requiring good light, and can tolerate year-round watering...but it too will rot "unexpectedly" +/- 24 months because it needs a deep pot too.

FYI - Lithops, Fenestraria and Pleiospilos are absolutely NOT houseplants. They will not do well long term. Home Depot could be sued for false advertising. These plants will tolerate crappy conditions indoors for a while and if that's OK with you then by all means enjoy them.

If you want an objective way to determine if your plants are doing well, then see if they will bloom for you. Your Lithops should bloom in August/ September. The Fenestraria later in the fall along with the Pleiospilos (these can bloom late summer too). If you can get them to flower then the conditions are adequate.

x

o

Definitely pot them separately because they all have different requirements. I disagree with the above assessment as say the baby toes will be your best bet as they are the easiest to grow since they give the same signs of needing eater that haworthia, echeveria and crassula do. Once they,are wrinkly... Water. Start with wetting the aoil, wait a day... If they need more, hit again. The others are harder to understand. I kinda get lithops now but pleiospilos I have given up on completely. If I can manage to get then to do well, stupid birds like to eat them anyway and will remove massive chunks when I'm not looking.

o

Last night I dug up the Lithops, cleaned off as much wet potting soil as I could, and replaced it in the 2.5 inch pot it came in with dry potting mix. It had a small, fine root system. With the rim of the little pot trimmed off, it is now back in the big pot so it can be removed if the other plants need watering and it doesn't.

As far as Home Depot is concerned, I suspect 90 percent of their "houseplants" from orchids to cacti last a year or less in the homes of their customers. Maintaining healthy house plants outside a greenhouse is a chore. They are cheap and easy to replace.

o

Will agree that the Haworthia as being most forgiven I think it will be in it's own pot and the only plant left after all others have been counted as a waste of YOUR money.

Now that you have a make shift idea or ability to remove the lithop from the pot to water the others it's safe to think your Lithops will now be the first.

o

If you want to be technical, there are no such things as 'houseplants,' are there? So does that mean we should not grow what pleases us in our houses or apartments?

If you have a sunny window at least, read up on the plant you want to grow, give it the best environment you are able to, and if the plant pleases you, that is all that matters.

Christopher

o

Here is my HOUSEPLANT Haworthia, by the way.

Christopher

o

I am growing all my succulents indoors this year in a South window. The cacti will be outdoors on the South side patio.

In the right window, with the right soil, and the right watering, I believe it's possible to have a happy succulents indoors. In the end, I would like to hope the advice of people on here is meant to help ensure the successful growing of Cacti & Succulents. Not everyone has the luxury of growing outdoors. That being said, some cacti & succulents are more difficult to grow than others.

I just was warning the OP of watering Lithops at the wrong time of year as I wanted to help him/her ensure that they won't water it at the wrong time and end up with a dead plant. :)

Planto

o

My Pleiospilos spends 8 months of the year inside as a houseplant and the only thing that "withers away" are the old leaves as they are absorbed. ;-)

tj

o

Anybody can enjoy any plant inside the place called home and enjoy them year round as well.

Myself I enjoy cool air blasting from the AC during the heat of summer many (every) of the not really house plants called succulents inside during six -seven months of bone chiling winter wont like what I like during summer.

o

My lithops houseplant flowered last fall. It was very pretty. I keep it in a south window and try to forget about it. Good luck with your plants :) they look nice now. I was in Home Depot today and saw some terrible plants.

o

This interesting little pleiospilos nelii flower opens late afternoon.

The old lithops leaves are gone so I guess there is no reason not to water everything once the potting mix is dry.

o

These have been growing outside and get half a day of full, intense Colorado sun at 5000 ft elev. I worried about over watering and lost one lithop because of that. Now I drench the pot once a month.

o

Hey, most of your plants are still doing well! I think in this case that you leave all these plants together, just make sure you follow the "when in doubt, don't" motto and give them minimal watering. Sad that you lost a lithops, hopefully the other one can survive. Nice flowers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here