Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
0nametaken0

My new babies

0nametaken0
11 years ago

So I bought 30 succulents from ebay. This is the first batch. Really excited. Im new to succulents though and I still need help with my sempervivum, thats another thread, hope someone replies there.

Since all of these are succulents, Im hoping to put all of them outside for the summer. Temps. will hit 40c in my balcony, Im not sure if they all can take the heat. I will also be watering them every 2 days during the hot summer days. They will be planted in succulent soil mix. Does that sound about right? Any tips? I would really like it if someone does as Im trying to grow plants for the first time. Ive grown aquatic plants for a few years so Im an expert in them, but not in non drowned plants :)

What you see in the pic are (badly worded description from ebay):

green snowman is senecio articulatus or candle plant,
the purple one next to it is either Fred Ives or Pearl Von Nuremburg.

Others are Darley Sunshine
Jet Beads
Crassula Calico Kitten
Donkey's Tail
String of Pearls
Pork and Beans
String of Buttons
Baby Necklace
Hobbit
Gollum
Compact Jade
Sedum Praeltum 'Cristata"
2 variegated Elephant Bush
String of Bannanas
Red flower Zygocactus

The following will hopefully ship tomorrow to my place:

Euphorbia tirucalli, Pencil Cactus, Stick on Fire
Aeonium arboreum 'Atropurpureum' (Purple Aeonium)
Aeonium percarneum cv. 'Kiwi' (Kiwi Aeonium, tricolor)
Senecio mandraliscae, (Blue Chalk Sticks)
crassula tetragona (mini pine tree)
Faucaria tigrina, (TigerâÂÂs jaw)
Graptoveria 'Titubans'
Graptoveria gilva
Sedum rubrotinctum (Jelly Bean, Pork and Beans)
Kalanchoe 'Houghtonii'
Echeveria 'Haageana'

Thanks

This post was edited by NameTaken on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 17:49

Comments (24)

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Updates with pic. I still dont know how to post more than one.

So I really hope I dont kill any of these.

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

Quite the haul you've got there, NameTaken! With the combo of common names & some Latin, you're going to have fun sorting them out. I don't see some of those you mentioned & some seem to be misidentified...but hard to tell with SO many cuttings in the pix. Thanks for sharing your new treasures with us!

Note: If you're uploading directing to GW forum from your computer, then you can only do one at a time. If using an online photo-hosting site, then you'd be capable of more than one pic in your posts.

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply, if you could post the names of what you dont see, perhaps I could take a look. They are at my bros place atm, so I dont have access to them. Im hoping to be there next weekend, where I can better inspect and take pics.

Once again, thanks for the reply :)

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

If you can find cactus soil at a garden center (or similar) & add something to it to help with drainage (perlite, pumice, dry stall, chicken grit, etc.) you would probably have what you need to pot up all & place on your balcony.

As these have no roots, I'd use just moist soil at first, not watering until you know they have roots (a little tug). After established, water when dry.

green snowman is senecio articulatus or candle plant, ~ Yes, Senecio articulatus
    the purple one next to it is either Fred Ives or Pearl Von Nuremburg. ~perhaps XGraptoveria 'Fred Ives' (I doubt Echeveria 'Perle von Nurnberg')

Others are Darley Sunshine ~if they mean xGraptosedum 'Darley Sunshine', that may or may not be it
    Jet Beads ~ xSedeveria 'Jet Beads'...maybe the one shown, with dark leaves spaced out on stem
    Crassula Calico Kitten ~ Crassula pellucida 'Variegata' ~ looks like 2 stems of this, but hard to tell if it has the look of stitching on the leaf edges
    Donkey's Tail ~ don't see Sedum morganianum, but do see Sedum burrito
    String of Pearls ~ Senecio rowleyanus
    Pork and Beans ~ Sedum rubrotinctum
    String of Buttons ~wonder if they are calling the Crassula perforata, large form, this
    Baby Necklace ~ don't see this
    Hobbit ~ Crassula 'Hobbit', yes
    Gollum ~ Crassula 'Gollum', yes
    Compact Jade ~ Crassula 'Crosby's Compact'
    Sedum Praeltum 'Cristata" ~ hard to tell if it is cristated, but yes, looks like Sedum praeltum
    2 variegated Elephant Bush ~ don't see this in the 1st photo, but maybe a non-variegated one in the 2nd pic, Portulacaria afra
    String of Bannanas ~ Senecio radicans (String of Bananas)
    Red flower Zygocactus ~ Schlumbergera truncata

2nd photo:
    Euphorbia tirucalli, Pencil Cactus, Stick on Fire ~that would be Euphorbia 'Sticks on Fire'
    Aeonium arboreum 'Atropurpureum' (Purple Aeonium) ~ yes
    Aeonium percarneum cv. 'Kiwi' (Kiwi Aeonium, tricolor) ~can go by just Aeonium 'Kiwi'
    Senecio mandraliscae, (Blue Chalk Sticks) ~yes, seems likely
    crassula tetragona (mini pine tree) ~ yes, with a capital C
    Faucaria tigrina, (TigerâÂÂs jaw) ~ yes
    Graptoveria 'Titubans' ~ may or may not be...doesn't seem chunky enough to be xGraptoveria 'Tibutans'
    Graptoveria gilva ~ if you had it, would be Echeveria 'Gilva', but I don't see it
    Sedum rubrotinctum (Jelly Bean, Pork and Beans) ~ yes
    Kalanchoe 'Houghtonii' ~ Kalanchoe x houghtonii
    Echeveria 'Haageana' ~don't see it

*There are 2 in the pic that look like they may be Senecio, but hard to say without a closer look.
    If you are unsure of certain ones & want to photograph them individually, then repost for ID.

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow, thanks rose. I will for sure take a better, more detailed pics when I get the chance. I will repost and keep this updated. Thank you very much. If there are that many non matching names, then Ill complain to the seller.

• notolover
    11 years ago

Good luck with all of those! Great way to build a collection and I hope they all do well for you.

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I hope they do well as well :)

New pics, taken from cell.

{{gwi:533284}}

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey guys, update, I will post new pics this weekend. I just wanted to know if its safe enough to put these guys outside. My overnight temps are reaching 10c and high is btw 14 to 19c. I think its still too chilly? Im going to throw my semps outside, I know they can survive up to -40c. I just didnt want to give them a shock by moving from 24c (in my room for 3 months) to cold weather.

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

If your overnight lows are 10C (50F), I think it would be safe to put them out. Maybe others who live in Canada can help out~if they know other factors I don't! =) Maybe if you put them near a wall (some protection) & gradually move them out further?

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Ill wait a bit so it gets a bit warmer before I put them outside. I still have to buy containers for them.

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So Ive moved some of my semps outside. My succulents are still inside as day time temps hit 24c and overnight 10c.

One of my succulent flowered :)

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/9bkigy.jpg[/IMG]

http://tinypic.com/r/9bkigy/5

http://i42.tinypic.com/9bkigy.jpg

{{gwi:533288}}

This post was edited by NameTaken on Sat, May 11, 13 at 11:54

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DArn attachments...

• notolover
    10 years ago

Awww--it's soooo cute!

• aztcqn
    10 years ago

Nice little collection. I'm sure once settled, they will start to branch out and fill up your space. ;]

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys :)

Yes I finally got a new container, now the search starts for a proper soil mix.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Nice little bloom! :) Just saw your (similar) post on the Cactiguide forum, Samee. :P

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks :) that forum is kinda inactive. I wanted a forum that was very active, as I joined because I wanted to learn more about what I have.

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If pics dont work, please visit this thread:
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3497714#post3497714

Ok big blog post. I just finished a huge post over at my aquarium journal thread, please check it out and comment, link in my sig.

So when I was in US, I bought Lava rock and pea gravel. Big bags. I also bought a bag of cacti and suc soil. Since all succulent soil on the market suck, it was up to me to make a good mix. Ive used the cacti and succulent soil before and it becomes a piece of foam thats rock hard. Its terrible. I know because I transferred my plants here and there today.

Ok so the lava rock was too big. I wanted to make it the size of pea gravel but it was just too much work. The reason you need all material of the same size is because water tends to make a layer over the odd sized stuff. So water would drain around the gravel but pond up over the big lava rock. Atleast thats what I think I read elsewhere. So I spent about 2 hours or so hammering lava rock. Made a mess of the balcony. I coundnt hammer hard enough or else my neighbours would knock at my door.

The plastic container is huge but even then I couldnt condense my other hens and chicks. I wanted to reduce the pot/container use but couldnt. I also made the same soil mix for my Sago Palm. I love that plant. Bought it for $1.50 because it was "damaged". The leaves are yellow as you can see. Im assuming it was over watered. Dont worry baby you're in the right hands now :)

So it begins
    [IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2w6ylvb.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2n3ke9.jpg[/IMG]

The mess
    [IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2v2axro.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/9qhfk8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2qxqh4k.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2r5yyp5.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/5ww1ex.jpg[/IMG]

Final
    [IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/1zzgluf.jpg[/IMG]

I couldnt set the top layer becuase there are too man small succulents everywhere. So setting it would be hard. Not to mention I ran out of the soil bag. So maybe next week I might get more and top it up. I still have to move around a few soil pots.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

{{gwi:533290}}
    {{gwi:533292}}

The mess
    {{gwi:533294}}
    {{gwi:533296}}

{{gwi:533298}}
    {{gwi:533300}}
    {{gwi:533302}}

Final
    {{gwi:533303}}

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

purpleinopp - how are you breaking up the lava rock? Just whomping it with the hammer? I've done that - a little tedious, and I have pieces flying around, but it works. Do the 2x4's play a part, or just happen to be in the picture? I would love to know a quicker way. Hubby suggested running over it with the car! LOL

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Crenda, purpleinopp was kind enough to post the images correctly so they would appear on the forum. If you check the post above, it has various img links that do not show up.

This thread was bumped because recently I posted the aftermath of my work.

Yes I spent a good hour or two hammering the lava rocks. Then I threw them in a bucket and rolled the bucket around so the sharp edges would smooth out. Im not sure if that worked, but from what I saw, the succulents loved it. The 2x4s were used as a seat, in the cramped balcony :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Yes, I wanted to see your pics mentioned in the other post - and there happens to be a pic of the hole(s) I asked about. Helpful to see. The holes in the plastic thing look small enough to easily become clogged by particles from the soil, or roots of plants.

When you spread things out in a thin layer like this, the amount of 'bottom soil' that takes the longest to dry out is maximized (even though it can dry more quickly from the surface.) Counter-intuitive. Had this container been clay, or wood, it might have been more successful.

Had you put a larger hole in one corner, so you could tilt after watering to remove a lot more excess water, it might be more successful. If you've never tilted a pot after watering, you'd be shocked at how much more water comes out even after it seems to have finished dripping - no matter what kind of 'soil' is used.

I'm not good at all at looking at pics of 'dirt' and knowing if it's 'good' or not, but this doesn't look like what I would use, just from the pic. The pic and my eyes might not be interpreting the reality correctly, but it looks like there are a lot of tiny particles. These clog/fill all available spaces so there's no air in the soil (and possibly clogging the drain holes.) Roots must have oxygen and moisture at the same time to function, so this is why tiny particles of peat, sand, silt, clay are not good for growing in a pot, especially succulents, which are especially sensitive to having only moisture but no oxygen (which leads to rot.)

This winter has been especially hard on a lot of plants brought inside to escape cold because of soooo many extra cloudy days in most places.

I've not used the photo hosting site you did for these pics, but most offer several options to copy/paste. In the future, use HTML option to display images here. It should look like this w/o spaces:

If you can see your pics when you click preview, they will be there when you submit.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Thanks - I thought maybe you placed the lava rock between the boards and then hammered away. I wondered if that worked better. I put mine in a box with a hard surface and tried to contain the dust. Then the bottom of the box broke and the dust went everywhere! It was worse than if I had just hammered on the floor.

Your plants are coming along nicely! I'm sure you will make each other happy.

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Crenda, unfortunately majority died. It was the darn mealies that I did not know off. You can check out updated pics in this thread:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0217204118636.html?11

Purp. I see your concern, but I dont see it as a problem. The holes are small but it will take many years to get clogged. The process refers to settling. The only thing that can block the holes is the pea gravel. Since I water once a week during summer and once every two months during winter, it will take a very long time. The depth is about 5 inches of soil. I mixed roughly 60 lava/gravel to 40 succulent soil. So far Ive never had a succculent die on me due to over watering.

I have tropical plants and I do tilt the pots after a good watering, but the amount of water to the succulents is not enough to warrant a tilt. I take my tropical plants to the washroom and give them a shower over my tub. I then let the water seep out for a while before tilting and taking them back. The succulents are outside in the sun and heat so theres never been a time where the soils remained wet for a long time. When inside during winter I water them lightly.