Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fly_girl_756_gw

My succulent plant is tall, skinny, and about to fall over. Tips?

fly_girl_756
11 years ago

I have some sort of tall and skinny succulent (I think a Jade variety) that only grows straight up. I currently have a stick propping it up, but I'm not sure what the best method is for getting it to bulk up? I tried pinching off a leaf a long time ago, but this just stunted its growth and eventually grew around this broken off part (it's hard to see in this picture). Is there any hope to rescue this plant? I've had it for 6 years and don't want it to snap in half!

{{gwi:533948}}

Comments (11)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Yes, it is a jade. I would cut it just below the bottom leave and cut the the top into two pieces and then you will have three jades. Allow each to callous before planting.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I had a Jade do this, up up up, and then it finally snaked over. I just pruned it back to a point of new growth on the stem. Now it will grow sturdier. I agree with Biker...prune and root the cutting.

Josh

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

And you have it overpotted - that plant would be happier in a pot half that size and the soil amended with something that will help it drain - cut the soil with perlite by 50% or so.

• fly_girl_756
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the helpful comments/insight! (Especially the photo with detailed instructions noting where exactly I should cut; It is much appreciated given I am a complete novice at these sorts of things.) This will be my first time pruning and repotting (thanks for letting me know my pot is too large!) my Jade plant; any helpful general comments? Will a pair of scissors work to chop it? Any ways to bulk up the stem and make it more 'woody'? When reseeding a leaf is there anything to it besides sticking it some soil?

• lme5573
    11 years ago

From my experience, a leaf will send out roots if you just lay it on top of the soil and give it some light. Do not water until you see the plantlet start to grow.
    I haven't seen it mentioned, so I will add that you need to let your cuttings callous. Let them hang out for a day or two at least before you stick them in your gritty mix. Do not water the unrooted cuttings. Wait until you see new growth starting.
    If you water, and there are no roots, the cutting or plant will rot.
    I hope this helps! Lennie in Michigan

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

flygirl,

That's a matter of maturity, but it can go a little faster if you give it full sun and some warmth, particularly in spring and fall (their main growth periods - as long as it's in a range of growing conditions, which you'll learn about if you read any of the threads here with lots of posts about jade / Crassula ovata, it will be growing). Personally, I'd have it on a high-energy diet, a very loose soil (so it can be watered often, but not too much), lots of air circulation, temps in the 80s during the day and 60s at night, bottom heat (which you can achieve if you wrap a cat around it), and quarterly fertilizings. Don't repot often, but if you see lots of leaf growth, prune (this will make the trunk at least appear to be thicker than it is, and eventually it actually will become so). Oh, and don't fuss over it - they like that phrase common to these plants - benign neglect. There's also an FAQ to read (check the link).

Lennie and flygirl,

That process of the leaf becoming a plant will be expedited if you mist the leaves a few times a week (possibly even every day, but I myself am much too lazy for that). Now's the time for them to grow until the hot weather.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jaded Not Faded

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 9:49

11 years ago

This was a cutting from my sister, and this is what happened when it finally became too tall. For a moment there, I considered making this 'Crosby's [not so] Compact' ;-) into a cascading Jade, but I don't have the room or the patience.

11 years ago

I have far too many Jades as is, and several duplicates of this variety, so I opted for just a single trunk-cut and I discarded the cutting. The trunk immediately "sprang up" when the weight was removed. Once the plant has grown some leaves, I'll re-evaluate and very likely take it down further.

• fly_girl_756
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate everyone taking the time to offer comments/suggestions. Thanks :) I'll trim, let the cuttings callous and replant. *crosses fingers*

This post was edited by fly_girl_756 on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 15:29

• vuquyty
    10 years ago

Can I ask why this plant is growing up so quick and tall ? I have the same plant to fly_girl_756, and it was broken into half after a storm. I really just want to make the plant's or trunk thicker, it doesn't need to be so tall and thin like it is now.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County