Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goddess9_gw

Euphorbia suzannae's pod are browning...

goddess9
11 years ago

I checked my E. suzannae just now (it's in isolation because I saw some clear 'spots' on it that were on the pods but didn't look like mealies nor scale) and some of the pods are turning brown. Does this mean I win all the cacti or am I doing something wrong?

I've never dealt with a plant that seeds so readily...help! If you need a pic, I can take them.

Comments (13)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

As always a picture is worth 1000 plants. But brown pods on Euphorbia means you'd better get them covered or you're gonna have seeds everywhere!!!!!! Don't know about the white spots without a picture.

Howard

• goddess9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Howard, thanks for the reply. :) I was hoping you'd chime in.

Oh good, I'm not killing it! I always equate brown with dying plants, so I was worried. I'll just keep on treating her the way I do. Will stockings work?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Any kind of material that you can wrap around. As I recall, you had several pods. It might be easier to place a wrap over the entire head. When Euphorbia die, they die quickly, like over night! They rapidly change color to dull green and get soft, yesterday! Sometimes pods don't mature on plants that have been bare rooted and sold. So as much as you/I hope that you'll have seed, this may not happen. As long as the mother plant is firm and a nice color green, you are OK.

• goddess9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wait - are you saying this euphorbia is monocarpic?

Okay, I will try to wrap her up. I don't want to come back to explosions of seeds!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

No, I'm not saying your plant is going to die. Since I can't recall if you purchased it all planted up or bare root, I can't say absolutely that the pods will mature and pop open. What I am saying is sometimes when bare rooted plants get re-established and have maturing seed pods, the pods don't actually mature and open with viable seed. The plant will be fine and will grow to flower again. I'm not sure if E. suzannae is monoecious or diaecious. If it is the former and self pollinating, you will have more seed pods that should mature and produce viable seed. If it is not self pollinating or the later, you won't have anything but some flowers that will die off. You could cross it with another of the same species or try E. bupleurifolia or something else from the Capetown area of S. Africa.

• goddess9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Howard,

the seeds weren't viable and the poor girl started turning mushy, almost immediately. I went to check her root ball and her head came off with a gentle touch. :( I hadn't been treating it any differently.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Lauren I'm so sorry to hear that. Kara Nursery (http://www.karacactus.com/index.html) has some but they are "très" expensive.

• goddess9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is this gardener error or do they do this?

Thank you, I'm willing to try it again.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

not sure I understand your question? What is the difference? Who are 'they'? How was the plant kept while in your care? Sounds like this plant got too wet at some point, or too cold or both... or get badly bruised.

• goddess9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They = Euphorbias.

The plant was kept in a west facing window until I saw some unidentified specks on it. It was moved to a north-facing window. I just brought it back to the west-facing window after a month of isolation.

I only watered when dry. It was fertilized 1/4-1/2 strength, depending on the day I was watering. I drenched and let dry.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Lauren, Euphorbia can turn to mush overnite. It is possible it had some root problems and when you soaked it, it just rotted out. Not to worry, keep trying.... I've knocked of several plants this way but I always keep trying

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

might want to water even less often, and my recommendation on fertilizing indoor Euphorbias is don't.... ever.. or at least less than once a year.

• goddess9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Howard, thank you for all of the advice. You are very helpful.

Lzrdrr, thank you as well. If I try again (I probably will), I will definitely be more neglectful of it. And lots less fertilizers.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?