Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Euphorbia suzannae's pod are browning...

Posted by goddess9 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 18:32

I checked my E. suzannae just now (it's in isolation because I saw some clear 'spots' on it that were on the pods but didn't look like mealies nor scale) and some of the pods are turning brown. Does this mean I win all the cacti or am I doing something wrong?

I've never dealt with a plant that seeds so readily...help! If you need a pic, I can take them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Euphorbia suzannae's pod are browning...

As always a picture is worth 1000 plants. But brown pods on Euphorbia means you'd better get them covered or you're gonna have seeds everywhere!!!!!! Don't know about the white spots without a picture.

Howard

o

Hi Howard, thanks for the reply. :) I was hoping you'd chime in.

Oh good, I'm not killing it! I always equate brown with dying plants, so I was worried. I'll just keep on treating her the way I do. Will stockings work?

o

Any kind of material that you can wrap around. As I recall, you had several pods. It might be easier to place a wrap over the entire head. When Euphorbia die, they die quickly, like over night! They rapidly change color to dull green and get soft, yesterday! Sometimes pods don't mature on plants that have been bare rooted and sold. So as much as you/I hope that you'll have seed, this may not happen. As long as the mother plant is firm and a nice color green, you are OK.

o

Wait - are you saying this euphorbia is monocarpic?

Okay, I will try to wrap her up. I don't want to come back to explosions of seeds!

o

No, I'm not saying your plant is going to die. Since I can't recall if you purchased it all planted up or bare root, I can't say absolutely that the pods will mature and pop open. What I am saying is sometimes when bare rooted plants get re-established and have maturing seed pods, the pods don't actually mature and open with viable seed. The plant will be fine and will grow to flower again. I'm not sure if E. suzannae is monoecious or diaecious. If it is the former and self pollinating, you will have more seed pods that should mature and produce viable seed. If it is not self pollinating or the later, you won't have anything but some flowers that will die off. You could cross it with another of the same species or try E. bupleurifolia or something else from the Capetown area of S. Africa.

o

Howard,

the seeds weren't viable and the poor girl started turning mushy, almost immediately. I went to check her root ball and her head came off with a gentle touch. :( I hadn't been treating it any differently.

o

Lauren I'm so sorry to hear that. Kara Nursery (http://www.karacactus.com/index.html) has some but they are "très" expensive.

o

Is this gardener error or do they do this?

Thank you, I'm willing to try it again.

o

not sure I understand your question? What is the difference? Who are 'they'? How was the plant kept while in your care? Sounds like this plant got too wet at some point, or too cold or both... or get badly bruised.

o

They = Euphorbias.

The plant was kept in a west facing window until I saw some unidentified specks on it. It was moved to a north-facing window. I just brought it back to the west-facing window after a month of isolation.

I only watered when dry. It was fertilized 1/4-1/2 strength, depending on the day I was watering. I drenched and let dry.

o

Lauren, Euphorbia can turn to mush overnite. It is possible it had some root problems and when you soaked it, it just rotted out. Not to worry, keep trying.... I've knocked of several plants this way but I always keep trying

o

might want to water even less often, and my recommendation on fertilizing indoor Euphorbias is don't.... ever.. or at least less than once a year.

o

Howard, thank you for all of the advice. You are very helpful.

Lzrdrr, thank you as well. If I try again (I probably will), I will definitely be more neglectful of it. And lots less fertilizers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here