Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for an ID

Posted by marcia_pa5 PA5_FL9b S.SarasotaC (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 18:49

Hi,
I'm looking to ID this plant. I thought it was a succulent, but seeing those little 'hairs' makes me wonder if it's a cactus of some kind.

Thanks for your help.
Marcia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for an ID, photo2

A closer look.

o
RE: looking for an ID, last photo

Some new growth.

o
RE: looking for an ID

Looks like a rhipsalis to me.

o

Marcia,

It's I think as lorrr said, a Rhipsalis, an epiphytic jungle cactus. There are more specialized name(s) for it, too, but you can confirm an ID with the flowers. New growth is typically much more colourful than mature growth on succulent plants.

o

Thank you both for the heads up on an ID. I can look for growing recommendations and go from there.
Marcia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here