Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breton2

Pleiospilos nelii repotting

breton2
10 years ago

Hi everyone
In the last little while I have picked up two P. nelii, one green and one"Royal Flush". They are still potted in peaty crappy soil, as it has been a busy few months here. Also, I have been unable to find the C& S soil mix I usually use anywhere. I usually mix it at least 50/50 with perlite/grit for most suxx, but am wondering what to use for these Pleiospilos. I found some supposed C&S soil at the nursery, butr of course it is peat-based....sigh. I've never been able to find non-peat based soil in Nova Scotia. I am tempted to start sterilizing garden soil, if I can find some sandy loamy soil.

Anyway, I am open to suggestions of what to plant these in, in terms of both soil mix and pot type. I am in coastal NS, plants overwinter outdoors but don't get there until early June usually. Back indoors in late September. The Pleiospilos I have are in 2 inch plastic round pots, I am debating putting them in 2 inch plastic squares or larger round clay pots. What do people recommend? I tend to be an under-waterer... When outdoors my suxx are generally protected form rain due to my roof overhang...

Looking forward to seeing people's opinions!

Cheers,
Breton

Comments (5)