Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Jade, jades, jades, anyone?

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

I would LOVE to see you Jades and see how they are doing! Once I get pics together I will be back.

How did your jades do all winter?

:-)

Comments (128)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hi, Patty!
    If you pinch off the top, it probably will backbud and put out leaves or branches lower down the trunk.
    Prune it down to the point where you'd like it to begin branching, and two new tips should emerge.
    Any chance you could post a picture?

Josh

• mi_co
    12 years ago

Hi, This is my latest acquisition. It came from California. 24 inches tall and the base is a little over 4 inches wide. Weighs 7 pounds. I've been letting it dry to callous well and it's just about ready to go in soil for rooting. I'm planning on cutting more off the top so that I have just two branches about four inches long where it forms a Y.
    {{gwi:534526}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

That's a sweet trunk!
    Happy rooting,

Josh

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

Wow. That is awesome! I'd love to see how that one starts growing.

• ggarner
    12 years ago

I have what is probably a stupid question, but am very curious. What is it exactly that people find so attractive about Jade plants?

I ask because here in San Diego they grow like a weed, and I personally have a strong dislike for them. So I am curious what it is about them that people tend to like so much?

On a side note, I think I just made an interesting connection after reading through this thread. My family purchased a 4-5 acre piece of property in the early 80's that was owned by the "Hummel's". I had always heard the name and never made any sort of connection, but the property had nearly an acre of jade growing on it, so I can only assume that this was the Hummel's of "Hummel's sunset" jade.

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Because for the rest of us, they 'don't' grow like weeds, therefore, we find them interesting.

Around here prickly pear are "weeds" I get tired of, but I'm sure many out there would find them interesting.

JoJo

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Garner, Ditto, on Jojo's reply.

Also, Jades have beautiful colors and when mature and cared for properly, bloom.

Maybe someone in this great, big planet, people are seeking Dandilions..They're welcome to all that grow here in Il. lol.

It's amazing your property was owned by the Hummels..Toni

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

LOL! I just planted Dandelion seeds. :-)

There's always going to be something that is common to one and desired by another.

JoJo

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

My love for jade plants started with the one my teacher gave to me in elementary school. Unfortunately after a move, my mother put it on the front porch where it got blasted with full sun and it completely fell apart. Before the move, it used to sit on this counter over the stove and only got partial morning light through one of the nearby windows.

I didn't think of jade plants again until years later when I saw one in the Wal-Mart garden section and bought it. It's grown into a 'Jade Brigade' since.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hey Jojo and Toni!!

I do agree that we tend to love plants that aren't common where we live...finding Jade plants growing in a yard in Florida is very rare at best(I've yet to see any). I also love them because its very attractive to me...they have many different shapes and colors and can be grown in pots and even bonsai. I have many reasons for liking them...but I'm sure you don't want to read a novel.

I think its very cool also that you now owned some property that belonged to the "Hummels"! I would absolutely love to see all those beautiful Jades in my backyard.

I guess that's what's so interesting about plants...we all have our favorites and our "dislikes" as well...

"Variety is the spice of life"

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes! I am with Nancy on this one!

Hello Jojo and Toni!

I would glady send Dandelions your way Jojo..lolol
    Around here, some eat them, but the maority kill them off.

Mike

• amanzed
    12 years ago

I think plants are like music: if you're exposed to a song too many times, it can lose its charm. Even a great song can be ruined by over-exposure.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your right Amanzed!

That is why many here are not satisfied with an ordinary green Jade, although some here are still perfectly content:-)

I hope everyone's Jades, some green, and some of many different colors are doing well this summer. I am not sure with all the different types of weather we are all getting here.

Mike

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Up-close and personal-like:
    {{gwi:534528}}

In a whacking tone:

{{gwi:534530}}

Unconnected KICK* item, purchased for $1 (C) at a swap meet yesterday, with La Yoko:

{{gwi:534532}}

*Korea In Canada Knickknack

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeff

What kind of Jade is that? I love it and the Knicknack too. Very nice!

Mike

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Well, hasn't the weather sure been problematic. It's beginning to shape up (we are not having the horrific heat wave, thank God). I myself don't adore jades to the extent that many others do, but I find that the liking is gradually growing. My Crassula ovata tricolor and Crassula pubescens radicans are currently in a whacked stage due to an injury from a baby squirrel shoving them off the deck railing last week, but the one that was spared doesn't look half bad...

{{gwi:534534}}

'Gollum' toppled off the deck in a squirrel afterthought, but he's little and brave and kept his limbs. :)

{{gwi:534536}}

• ffbste
    12 years ago

Hi everyone, Im new to this forum, stumbled upon it the other night looking for a sunset jade, and now spending any spare time reading through the forums for info. I live in Hull in England and unfortunatley cannot seem to find a hummel's sunset anywhere. Fist saw one in Barcelona 10 years ago and have been looking ever since. Fortunaley, a very knid man on here has offerd to send me some cuttings. Very exited about them :) Just wanted to say what lovely jades you all have and I look forward to seeing more pics of them soon :) Steve.

• Pat z6 MI
    12 years ago

Mike, on all the jade you brought up from the basement in the Spring, what kind of light did you have them under down there, please.
    Pat

• chicagardens
    12 years ago

Xuan- cool seamonster. on my want list. that is one cool looking succulent. thx for sharing.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Click! You can't help but fall in love with jades.

Pat! Here is a link I will provide at the bottom that will tell you exactly what light I use. Hope this helps.

Teetree: I love your jade. It reflects the light well too. Very nice

Mike:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops. Here you go Pat. Here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: lights

• Pat z6 MI
    12 years ago

Mike, I asked because it sounded like you might not have kept them under any light at all, like we do with amaryllis in the winter. Thank you very much for the link.
    Pat

• mari66
    12 years ago

Hello everyone !

What wonderful pictures of the most interesting and healthy JADES I have ever seen--I am a total beginner and need all the help I can get--
    Two years ago my bother passed away and I don't know why but as we were leaving CA I grabbed a knife and took cuttings of his huge Jades-- just small cuts to sneak in our luggage--never had a jade before and these are so precious to me--yet I do not know all the ways to care for them---My son also took cuttings and his wife has hers growing so much better than mine--they have better lighting than I do --
    So my questions are
    1. are smaller pots better/ I see u all use shallow ones
    2. what soil--I see u have white pebbles ??? I bought Miracle Grow cactus--which is very twiggy
    3. I use a moisture meter -but how long do u keep them dry ?
    In NE its cold and house is dry with heat on yet we
    turn it down to 62 at night--
    4. I have been using a grow light rotating plants as I do
    not have a lot of light here plus those new windows
    with the gas give a greenish tint--blocking the light
    Is this a good idea in switching them to 2 or 3 times
    a week.
    Sorry to ramble on I really need Jades 101 huh ?
    is there a way to put pictures on here-- I do take lots of pictures but not like yours
    Thank you Mari

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

I am drooling over all the pics... {sadface}, too bad this thread is so old, I'd love a jade cutting or two!!! I am in love with them...

• breathnez
    8 years ago

Yeah, I agree Bethany...it'd be nice to have a 'where are they now' follow-up, yeah?

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Yes it would! At least I could drool some more... :)

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Look what a dear friend of mine just brought me!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

Congratulations, it looks like you got your jade and othersome.

• toomuchsoup
    7 years ago

Look at this big ol' boy

I just bought this for $25

baaargain

• Marie Tran
    7 years ago

Toomuchsoup, you got a deal.

Great buy.

Marie

• toomuchsoup
    7 years ago

So many I've noticed that it's actually a few seperate plants.

would it be a good idea to seperate them and re-pot on their own? and if so should I wait til summer? (It's winter in australia)

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    7 years ago

Congratulations, toomuchsoup, on your purchase. Was it at a sale? I love hearing these stories. I always divide multiple plants, but firstly, be careful that it's not just one plant with the soil above the joints, if you follow me. Then if the plants have been together a long time, you will have to separate them very carefully. I wouldn't worry about it being winter over there as long as it's not very damp. I think that's still often warmer than summer in Ireland. It does explain why you have flowers on your jade, though. Very best of luck with it.

• toomuchsoup
    7 years ago

Thanks Marguerite! I found it in a classified. Gotta be crazy to get rid of one that old

• breathnez
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The thing is, there are so many ways you could go with it. Even if you chopped some of the trunks, you could plant those and they would take root. Do you have an inkling of what you want to do with it? My sister has one like that- she had me repot it higher up in a wider pot and remove lower branches, so as to show off the thick trunks. It now looks like a small grove of trees.

If you repot, whether as a whole or as several separate plants, what sort of soil might you use?

ez

• socks
    7 years ago

I read a previous post of a Californian questioning people's interest in jades because they are not a highly respected landscape plant here. As a fellow Californian, I've wondered the same. I now know there are different varieties which are interesting, and they are forgiving and easy to grow, easy to start cuttings. Jade must be one of the easiest succulents to grow.

Here in CA, they look quite pretty when they bloom in late winter/spring. They can cover an ugly wall or other places where people don't want to invest much in purchasing plants or watering often. Very, very easy care. Do I have one in my yard? Well, I have a gollum/hobbit, but that's it.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    7 years ago

I'm not sure exactly what a 'landscape plant' is, nor why jades would not be 'respected'. Maybe what people mean is that they are too 'common'? There used to be a lot of snobbery about so-called cottage garden plants in Britain and Ireland, but now they are among the most sought-after types of plant, mostly old heirlooms at this stage. There is a constant hunt for old varieties that used to grow like weeds in the humble cottager's garden, old primroses, pinks, double wallflowers and the like. Perhaps (but hopefully not) if some pest arrived which devoured jades overnight, they would seem more desirable to Californians.

• socks
    7 years ago

LOL absolutely right, Marguerite! Then they would be rare and in demand! Yes, they are too common, that's a better way to put it.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

toomuch...

Many trunks are connected below soil - I am not saying yours is, just don't be surprised if couple or few are. Only way to find out is to take it out of it's pot.

It is blooming now, if my plant I would wait until after blooming - may be spring by then in Australia :)

It would be personal choice to either grow it as is, or separate all or few. I would definitely pot it higher in the pot ('sinking' plants don't look their best IMO), and clean off any little sprouts around. Breathnez asked very good questions...

• Lyle Fresia
    7 years ago

Just bought this off kijiji classifieds for 85 bucks.

It is legendary.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    7 years ago

What is it, Lyle? I can't see anything.

• jalcon
    7 years ago

Here are a few of mine, outside for the summer....They both took a bit of a hit in April. I left them outside night when it dropped to around 30 unexpectingly.....they lost a ton of leaves at the time.

• Lyle Fresia
    7 years ago

Love the thick trunks on those jalcron

I'm having trouble uploading a photo,

When I select one nothing happens!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Lyle

Did you click in 'Photo' icon first, then on photo you want to post (is it on your PC/laptop)?

• Lyle Fresia
    7 years ago

I got it, this is what I bought for 85 bucks.

lyle_fresia's ideas · More Info

and here a the ones that I had

• David Glyn
    7 years ago

Nice! Once you get home and can do so, it would be nice to see internal pictures of the branche structure and trunk(s).

• Lyle Fresia
    7 years ago

Jadesss · More Info

Will do
    Jadesss · More Info

Jadesss · More Info

Jadesss · More Info

Jadesss · More Info

Jadesss · More Info

Jadesss · More Info

Jadesss · More Info

Jadesss · More Info

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    7 years ago

A lovely plant. I wonder how old it is.

• Lyle Fresia
    7 years ago

The previous owner said it was only 12 years old

It was in a bright Bay window and the dirt in the pot is really black.

Also when I scooped a bit of the soil out there was a tiny earthworm in it.

Makes you wonder if all this talk about gritty mix is the way to go...

She didn't even care about the damn thing, it was blocking to much of her window and she wasn't having it!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    7 years ago

Oh, poor thing. Well, it has come home now. The best of luck with it.

• breathnez
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the pictures. Are you satisfied as-is or do you have plans for pruning/directing growth? I'm not saying it needs change, it is beautifully shaped as-is. Just wondering what your plans are.

It would be brash indeed to insist this go into a gritty mix since it has done so well in its current soil. Caution is definitely worth repeating however. If a person waters appropriately the plant can thrive in a water-retentive soil. The problem comes in when someone waters frequently, waters some more as the answer to all plant problems, and waters still some more to fulfill some nurturing tendency(that'd be me). The soil then tends to stay soggy, and the plant spends a lot of energy repairing and replacing waterlogged roots instead of growing. If this continues the plant is at risk to be overwhelmed with root rot and death. At that point there are not enough roots to use the water, and the soil is destined to stay soggy until the haggard plant is rescued, or it simply gives up the ghost.

With an appropriate gritty mix, the waterlogged condition never occurs, thus it is safer for the novice/casual grower, though under watering can slow plant growth too. (With a quicker wet-dry cycle in a gritty mix, faster root growth can occur and subsequently faster plant growth. Another advantage.)

I was trying to talk water, but in the process got very long-WINDED. Stopping now.

ez

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!