Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Cyphostemma juttae arrived,.... now what?

Posted by BronxFigs Zone-7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 19:06

Just delivered about 1 hour ago, was the specimen of Cyphostemma juttae that I ordered. It was shipped bare root, and the caudex is about the size of a cantaloupe melon. The plant is dormant,but the caudex is very hard, with no soft spots, and is very heavy for the size. Below the caudex are a few bent, twisted, roots about 3/8" - 1/2" thick, also hard, and stiff. I would say that there are very few hairy-looking "feeder" roots.

Tomorrow, I would like to get this plant into a 5 gallon pot full of a quick-draining mix.

QUESTION;

Do I water the plant after potting, or do I let the plant just sit there until it shows signs of breaking dormancy first, before I water sparingly. After potting, can I put it in full sun, dry? The plant came from California.

If I must cut/trim some broken roots, should I dust them with cinnamon powder, and wait for them to form a callus before potting?

Having never grown this plant, what kind of root system do these plants develop? Thick, sparse roots, or will fine feeder-roots also grow. Can roots be trimmed every few years to revive the root system?

Any help with this plant will be greatly appreciated. I would hate to lose this plant because of lousy culture on my part. I have grown Adeniums...can I treat the Cypho. the same way?

Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Cyphostemma juttae arrived,.... now what?

Frank,

Don't water after repotting until after a few days, and then just a little water.

It should start breaking dormancy in the next week or two, particularly if you give it warmth and full sun. Mine have a few leaves on two and just breaking dormancy on the stump. The more leaves, the more weekly waterings....

You don't have to dust, but it would be OK to do so, certainly, if you trim the roots as needed.

It develops thick roots (which we know, love and raise) as well as feeder roots.

Yes, your Adenium culture is the same as the Cypho, more or less.

Where did you get this size of plant - The Great Petaluma Desert?

Happy growing

o

cactusmcharris...

By shear luck, I called nurseries selling succulents, etc...and I called "Exotic Gardens" in San Diego. Ask for Carl Dykema. I happen to know that the have a large Cypho. juttae for sale that's twice the size of the one I just bought. The photos that I was e-mailed showed an "instant" specimen plant! It filled a 5 gallon pot.

I also have another Cypho. coming from "Bonsai Collectables" out in California. They also have a great selection of "fat-plants"...and some great Fockea edulis.

Also, Ted's Exotic Cacti, and Succulents has some really nice Cyphos.

What causes this plant to break dormancy? Moisture, heat, light levels....all three? I guess I'll take my growing cues by observing the plant. Will a new, finer root system regenerate/re-grow each season?

If a branch gets damaged,or, if I make a pruning cut, will the damage heal over eventually?

Finally...If all goes well, and I provide correct culture, will I be able to see some growth, other than leaves, by the end of the season? I know they are slow growers, but I'd like to see some changes.

Thanks for the help.

Frank

o

I was in Ted's last week. He does have awesome stuff.
Mike

o

Frank,

I know Carl and have got plants from him before when I lived in San Diego. I shall have to give him a call. And I lived in the neighborhood near his shop - don't I wish I could stroll over now for some 400 lb. Neobuxbaumia for the salon!

Folks, Carl's a good guy - give him your business. He also has Sedum multiceps (which he waters in the summer, I'll have you know - I always killed mine when I did that!).

This is one of the easiest pachycaul plants to grow - it tells you when it wants to grow and when it doesn't.

Give it lots of warmth and it will have growth each year.

What causes it to break dormancy - probably the same thing that causes my Hawthorns to break into bud and your redbud trees to do the same - spring, with all of its attendant joys.

Yes, it will heal over, but if it's a severe cut / prune, you'll want to daub it with cinnamon.

I know the intensity that you have for your first plants, but don't overthink it. Although I would say it's an easy plant to grow (and therefore good on you for getting it as your first large specimen ), it's still incredibly rewarding. Give it as much sun and warmth as you can, the summer rains of New York should do it right (it is a grape, after all) - you'll just want to make sure you don't overwater it, but that's dependent on the soil you have it in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Succulents for sale in Central San Diego

o

Mine are breaking dormancy now. They have been outside all winter. I just ripped 4 out of the ground for a trade and there were no fat roots, just feeders and no need to dust with anything.

When potting make sure medium is moist and not water again till you see new growth. Once established (a couple months) they can handle quite a bit of water. Sounds like you your using a deep pot which is good, this will keep the base of the plant from being overly wet.

o

cactus/caudex1:

After plant goes into dormancy this Fall, can I un-pot and store the plant dry, cool, then repot in fresh mix each Spring?

caudex1...

When you "ripped out" your plants, did you mean that you took no great care in trying to get out every last root...or do you really mean that the plant could be handled without worrying too much about the root systems? The photos that I have seen of your giant, heavy Cypho. shows basically just a caudex, and hardly any roots. Do these plants re-grow a new root system each season?

Frank

o

>>>After plant goes into dormancy this Fall, can I un-pot and store the plant dry, cool, then repot in fresh mix each Spring?<<<

Yes. The friend I know in Nebraska does this because he can store more on the shelves in his dark cool basement.

>>>When you "ripped out" your plants, did you mean that you took no great care in trying to get out every last root...or do you really mean that the plant could be handled without worrying too much about the root systems? The photos that I have seen of your giant, heavy Cypho. shows basically just a caudex, and hardly any roots. Do these plants re-grow a new root system each season?<<<

No prep work, I just grabbed the trunk and pulled it out of the ground. Since there are no tuberous roots I treat them this way. It's surprising how little roots are under such large plants. They regrow if the have been cut, but if left alone the roots continue to flourish. They do not dry up during dormancy like Pachypodiums.

o

caudex1...

Thank-you for providing the additional information. I wanted to make sure I understood exactly what you were telling me. Very interesting. I'm glad I asked.

Equally interesting to learn roots will regrow, but remain alive throughout dormancy period. I thought the fine roots would wither away, and re-grow when plants break dormancy. I learned again from you and the other posters.

Thanks for the help.

Frank

o

It does not rain enough in NY to worry about overwatering during the warm months. My juttae has been outside for weeks already, ever since it started to sprout leaves. Don't water any more than Mother Nature until new leaves are well under way, and then treat them like a tomato plant - lots of sun, heat and water. When the leaves start looking tired in the fall, no supplemental watering is needed. By the time you can snap the yellow leaves off and the nights are consistently chilly, you can reposition your plant to a drier location.

Cypho juttae seems immune to the combo of cold and wet. Cypho currori and uter on the other hand are more finicky.

Mine started leafing out weeks ago, but it's not warm enough yet to see quick growth.

Every time a set of new leaves unfurl, the stem gains some vertical height. In good conditions, you can get multiple spurts of growth per season.

x

o

xerophyte nyc....

So good of you and others to help me gain the knowledge that I will need to keep this plant alive and well. So far, the culture strategy that I would have guessed has been counter-intuitive, especially regarding watering schedules while actively growing, and dormancy temps.

You, and others, who so patiently answered my questions, have helped me more than you could know.

You guys got my head straight. Thank-you.

Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here