Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas cactus

Posted by Suzy11 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 19:10

My Christmas cactus has dull green leaves, not shiny. What does that mean? Is it ok?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas cactus

Hi, Suzy, post a pic :-)

Josh

o

Hi josh! Here you go.

o

I can kind of see what you're talking about, but it's very difficult with a pic that is both unclear/out of focus (can't tell if the leaves are dehydrated), as well as upside down. I can also see that this is a Thanksgiving Cactus, rather than a Christmas Cactus.

How much sun, fertilizer, and water is it receiving?

Josh

o

It looks fine to me. Is it getting bright, indirect Sun? Are you feeding it?

o

Not sure why you think these leaves are supposed to be shiny, I don't think they are. Mine aren't & they're fine.

Just in case, I Googled it & the loads of pix shown there weren't shiny either.

Your plant looks fine from here, even if upside down.

o

Looks to be a little to wet or perching ( after editing pic) Might benifit from a new "less peat in the mix" soil. Maybe a slightly bigger new pot as well.

o

I didn't turn the picture upside down I know why I it looks like that. I water until water comes out the bottom every week fertilize ever other week. Don't use peat based soil. Will transplant into taracota. Sound okay?

o

Should I spritz it at all?

o

No, spritzing does no good.

What type of mix is it planted in? 5-1-1? Bark-based? Orchid mix?

Josh

o

It is in organic mechanic potting soil. When I repot it I am going to use O.M. Container soil. That is what my citrus trees are in, it has.more drainage then the potting mix.

o

Mixed choices using terra cotta VS plastic pots for yours Some like plastic cauce it hangs.TC pots breath better, more pros than cons for either.

Ensure drainage holes are visual nothing blocking like a built in/ snap on drip catch tray if plastic.

Reconcider a small chunk size orchid bark mix ?

This post was edited by nomen_nudum on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 8:34

o

Okay I will think about the soil. OM does have bark. Can I use a coffee liner to cover the hole or how does the soil stay in the pot? Do these cactuses have shallow roots?

o

They have extensive roots :-)
Is "OM" orchid mix?

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here