Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone help identify these cacti

Posted by rilakkuma none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 20:05

Went to a new nursery yesterday and none of their plants were labeled. Does anyone know what these 3 are called?

Thanks so much
 photo photo2-13.jpg

photo photo3-11.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone help identify these cacti

#3 Euphorbia lactea cristata, AKA 'Elkhorn.' Often found grafted to another Euphorbia (E. neriifolia).

Is the second one wrinkled on one side? Just curious, if it is wrinkled, it looks concerning to me.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 21:27

o

#1 is a Hoodia (not a cactus, but a succulent).

#2 looks like a Gymnocalycium.

o

Here are two pictures of cactus #2. Could it be due to more sunlight on one side?

smooth green side
 photo photo11-4.jpg

bumpy redish-orange side
 photo photo21-6.jpg

o

1.) Hoodia Gordonii
2.) Ferocactus? Looks to be variegated to me.
3.) E. Lactea Cristata

o

I apologize as I don't know if that one side is exhibiting something bad thing or not. It concerns me as it's a different color than the other side and it's wrinkled. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I would keep an eye on it just to be sure.

Planto

o

Number 3 is a Gymno. Round spines without transverse ridges. These are prone to discoloration, and if they recover it can take years. Enjoy the color it is, as long as it is not soft, it doesn't seem to affect the plant. I had a similar one turn red, candy apple red because of the cold and it remains that way. Still blooms, etc. and even has offsets.

This is a Noto with a similar problem, though not as discolored as your plant.
 photo DSCF5442.jpg

Here's a Gymno with a rouge problem from the cold. It is this color all the time now. Offsets taken before the cold episode maintain the green color.
 photo DSCF4923-1.jpg

The same plant can be seen in the back center as a greenish plant a year or 2 ago. I has a bloom sticking up, just to the right of the one with yellow flowers.
 photo DSCF4061.jpg

o

Oh my, I thought I was looking at a cactus nursery for a second. ;) Let me just wipe my computer screen, I think I drooled on it.

Planto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here