Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will it survive?

Posted by Wendy1986 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 20:10

I know next to nothing about succulents, but when I was poking around the ratty backyard (I've been slowly improving it one section at a time) of our rented house, I found a plastic pot with some succulents in it. Everything was dead except a few of them because they were mostly in the shade shoved behind a bunch of crap. Well, I repotted them and watered them lightly, but they didn't look like they had very much in the way of roots. Are succulents shallow rooted? They are now sitting in a sunny spot, but will they live, do you think? Also, I have no clue what type they are, they have pointy ends (leaves?), green on top and green and white horizontal stripes on the bottom. They are little, between four and six inches across and the biggest maybe four inches high. Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will it survive?

Yes, there is a chance it will survive. :) I sounds like you have Haworthia attenuata (common name Zebra plant). (See the link below. Does it look like your plant?)

Some succulents have shallow roots. I'm not sure about this one. The fact it has any is a good sign, as long as they're not mushy. Don't put them in full sun right away. Start with a partially shady spot (if still in a pot) & move them into sunnier position gradually.

Use well draining soil & water when dry.

Yes, things with pointy ends are leaves, :)
Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Haworthia attenuata

o

succulents are fairly resilient and some are easily propagated by breaking a piece of it off and sticking it in well draining mix. there's a good chance yours will develop roots.

o

Thanks! I didn't think anyone had replied because the site didn't e-mail them to me! I really appreciate the info! :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here