Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Everyone show me your Cactus area!

Posted by Grantgarden2 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 20:25

Well i think that the tittle pretty explains everything.
This is my set up! Let me know if you have any questions.
Cactus area photo DSC_0881_zpsa3e8617f.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Everyone show me your Cactus area!

you asked, so you`re getting it. im giving you 95% of my garden. in pics of coarse. the other 5% isnt attractivve enouhg to appear on the internet. These are cellphone pics and are really bad, so bare with me.
 photo IMG_20130401_175603_607_zps17f904f0.jpg
 photo IMG_20130401_175613_784_zpsbd375626.jpg
 photo IMG_20130401_175619_425_zps9f7268ac.jpg
 photo IMG_20130401_175636_973_zps637ea026.jpg
 photo IMG_20130401_175653_690_zps3a424696.jpg
Callendula going crazy
 photo IMG_20130401_175706_504_zpsbde955ed.jpg
 photo IMG_20130401_175727_223_zps9166eeed.jpg
 photo IMG_20130401_175748_392_zps9fe972b3.jpg
 photo IMG_20130401_175805_842_zps06f51ad8.jpg
theres a 2 foot saguaro somewhere under that opuntia.
 photo IMG_20130401_175829_725_zps2aea1724.jpg
 photo IMG_20130401_175837_634_zpsbff8808c.jpg
 photo IMG_20130401_175847_570_zps089a6af4.jpg
 photo IMG_20130401_175918_029_zpsc9caef63.jpg
 photo IMG_20130401_175923_785_zpsd5ca6877.jpg
 photo IMG_20130401_175942_529_zpse9065d50.jpg

o

Zeck, I hate to be a pest, but if you were to know the answer off hand.. In your second photo, immediately to the left of the community cacti pot in dead center is a small pot of what looks like two deep red rosettes (one an offset), and I'd love to know what plant that is. The rosettes look so large and beautiful, and I'm not sure what it is I'm admiring. Awesome collection.

This post was edited by teatree on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 22:56

o

Wow Microthrix what a beautiful cactus area, makes mine look puny! LOL are you a teenager gardener? Because somehow the pics remind me of a forum and i think you mentioned that you were a teenager or something? I am myself a teenager gardener my self!

o

@tea tree, its not being a pest! I love answering questions about.succulents :P that little plant is a Sempervivum 'Mahogany' I love its nice red colouring. I admire it all the time.
grantgarden, yeah, I'm a teenage gardener. 14 To be exact. Whenever i tell friends about my hobby (obsession if you will...) they just give me a weird look. Its quite funny. Teachers are also quite surprised by it.

o

Oh, thank you! It is a Semp then. I first thought so, but then second-guessed because I thought the rosettes were perhaps too large to be one.

o

Micro,
I don't think that "weird look" goes away when you get older. I'm almost 27 and I get weird looks from people when I tell them that one of my hobbies is plants (C&S, Houseplants, gardening, etc). ;)

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 11:09

o

Hi all....
Grantgardener2 your area is very bright and warm looking I would guess your plants love it, because they sure look great....
Mirco.....how in the world did you get so many plants, so fast??? and great growing they all look great, good job....
I would have more but hard to find something new up here in MN.....but here are pics of mine.....this is in my downstairs familyroom.....linda

o

sorry about 2 post but I don't know how to put more then one picture in a post....
this is my kitchen window......

o

For the non-cold-hardys

Winter they're in like this

photo DSC09367.jpg

Summer they're (mostly) growing on this

photo DSC07974.jpg

We're on a roll and a dog

photo Cats082712005.jpg

photo DSC02837_zpsd524ef79.jpg

o

Yeah, the looks from people don't go away in your twenties. I'd midway through that decade, and the expressions and laughs haven't gone. :)

o

Wow everyone There are some beautiful cactus! Lovely cats and dogs Cactusm, I love pets a lot! I have 2 cats and 3 dogs.

o

They all look so nice and healthy. Mine are spread all over the place, both inside and out, so I don't really have a cactus area.

Jeff, that is a very cute dog pic. It looks like they are great buddies.

o

Can I show my jades? No cactus for me right now. My DH built me a light stand when we were first married. This is one half of the lower shelf. I am impatiently waiting to move a few to the back porch when the weather warms up.
Lennie in Michigan

o

And here's my entire setup, in a spare bedroom with the windows giving a northern exposure.

o

It's really amazing to see the love and dedication you guys put into growing succulents inside and or in green houses...

A++ in degree of difficulty, attention and effort !!

Microthrix, if I may echo emarald1951... cool to see someone your age into plants... your 'PIG's, plant in ground, being in zone 9, did you have access to some biggies and plunk them in the ground - or were those established and you've added on [potted plants] from there?

What's up though - cactus only, not into succulents ? You're young, getting stabbed by cactus hurts less at your age :-) ;-)

o

most of the ones in the ground are from small pots, maybe 2-4 inches. mostly from lowes/homedepot. i think maybe 15% of the ones in the ground were bought large. alot of the ones in the last 3 photos were bought large. looking at this and realizing how large everything grew in such a short period of time makes me feel like a really good cactus parent :,)

o

Wow, you all have such great collections! I have my cacti outdoors mixed in throughout the landscaping. Here is the main dry garden in the spring:

And here's that same area in the summer. (That Aloe Ferox had a major bud rot problem, so as you may notice, the rosette is quite deformed in this photo.)

o

I have mey pots of tender cactus and my pots of Agave that I am trying to get large enough to put out where they won't be butted to death by the deer. And then there are the pots that are waiting for fill dirt. So things are a mess and things are still reccoupping from a horrid freeze 2 years back.. Nothing as lush as the Californian Gardens. I am still building my house while living in it and tthings are a mess.

There is the famous bridge of pain. Do not run out here on a dark night.

DSC_0024

Which leads to this unfinished abode.

DSC_0006

DSC_0013

DSC_0019

DSC_0032

DSC_0033

DSC_0035

DSC_0027
We just had a 4" of rain and big winds so things really are a mess
DSC_0004

DSC_0012

o

Wow everybody has awsome gardens going good job guys your plants look great and @Microthrix where did u get all those cacti lol and I know how u feel I'm 23 when I was your age and ven now I still get the funny faces and "you do what?" But I don't care there the ones missing out lol

o

The Echinopsis & Trichocereus will be going out soon

Summer location photo IMG_0742_zps6a092ade.jpg

As you can see, my sunroom doesn't have anymore space in it.

Winter Location photo IMG_0741_zpsc6da2cf9.jpg

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 0:05

Wonderful collections, all of them. Enjoyed the photos very much, thank you all.

I have succulents, not many cacti, do they count?
 photo wist3067_zps62a94108.jpg

o

Hoovb, great colors!

o

Wow - that is gorgeous Hoovb! Is that pink flower Calandrinia? The other gardens and set-ups are wonderful too and I've gone back to look at them more than once. :-)
Here is a little cactus area that I moved out of the unheated greenhouse the other day. The weedy sedum needs to be removed.

o

Here's a fisheye view of some of my cactus, succulents, jades, & desert roses.

o

Oh this is fun! Loved the tours of your collections. They are all so unique and wonderful!

Thanks for sharing!
FF

This post was edited by FrugalFanny on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 23:55

o

Some of mine, still inside, under shop lights.

Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here