Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grantgarden22

Everyone show me your Cactus area!

Well i think that the tittle pretty explains everything.
This is my set up! Let me know if you have any questions.
{{gwi:535577}}

Comments (32)

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Zeck, I hate to be a pest, but if you were to know the answer off hand.. In your second photo, immediately to the left of the community cacti pot in dead center is a small pot of what looks like two deep red rosettes (one an offset), and I'd love to know what plant that is. The rosettes look so large and beautiful, and I'm not sure what it is I'm admiring. Awesome collection.

This post was edited by teatree on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 22:56

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow Microthrix what a beautiful cactus area, makes mine look puny! LOL are you a teenager gardener? Because somehow the pics remind me of a forum and i think you mentioned that you were a teenager or something? I am myself a teenager gardener my self!

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

@tea tree, its not being a pest! I love answering questions about.succulents :P that little plant is a Sempervivum 'Mahogany' I love its nice red colouring. I admire it all the time.
    grantgarden, yeah, I'm a teenage gardener. 14 To be exact. Whenever i tell friends about my hobby (obsession if you will...) they just give me a weird look. Its quite funny. Teachers are also quite surprised by it.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Oh, thank you! It is a Semp then. I first thought so, but then second-guessed because I thought the rosettes were perhaps too large to be one.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Micro,
    I don't think that "weird look" goes away when you get older. I'm almost 27 and I get weird looks from people when I tell them that one of my hobbies is plants (C&S, Houseplants, gardening, etc). ;)

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 11:09

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

Hi all....
    Grantgardener2 your area is very bright and warm looking I would guess your plants love it, because they sure look great....
    Mirco.....how in the world did you get so many plants, so fast??? and great growing they all look great, good job....
    I would have more but hard to find something new up here in MN.....but here are pics of mine.....this is in my downstairs familyroom.....linda

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

sorry about 2 post but I don't know how to put more then one picture in a post....
    this is my kitchen window......

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

For the non-cold-hardys

Winter they're in like this

{{gwi:524785}}

Summer they're (mostly) growing on this

{{gwi:535617}}

We're on a roll and a dog

{{gwi:535619}}

{{gwi:485922}}

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Yeah, the looks from people don't go away in your twenties. I'd midway through that decade, and the expressions and laughs haven't gone. :)

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow everyone There are some beautiful cactus! Lovely cats and dogs Cactusm, I love pets a lot! I have 2 cats and 3 dogs.

• linda_denman_island
    10 years ago

They all look so nice and healthy. Mine are spread all over the place, both inside and out, so I don't really have a cactus area.

Jeff, that is a very cute dog pic. It looks like they are great buddies.

• lme5573
    10 years ago

Can I show my jades? No cactus for me right now. My DH built me a light stand when we were first married. This is one half of the lower shelf. I am impatiently waiting to move a few to the back porch when the weather warms up.
    Lennie in Michigan

• lme5573
    10 years ago

And here's my entire setup, in a spare bedroom with the windows giving a northern exposure.

• growforit
    10 years ago

It's really amazing to see the love and dedication you guys put into growing succulents inside and or in green houses...

A++ in degree of difficulty, attention and effort !!

Microthrix, if I may echo emarald1951... cool to see someone your age into plants... your 'PIG's, plant in ground, being in zone 9, did you have access to some biggies and plunk them in the ground - or were those established and you've added on [potted plants] from there?

What's up though - cactus only, not into succulents ? You're young, getting stabbed by cactus hurts less at your age :-) ;-)

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

most of the ones in the ground are from small pots, maybe 2-4 inches. mostly from lowes/homedepot. i think maybe 15% of the ones in the ground were bought large. alot of the ones in the last 3 photos were bought large. looking at this and realizing how large everything grew in such a short period of time makes me feel like a really good cactus parent :,)

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

Wow, you all have such great collections! I have my cacti outdoors mixed in throughout the landscaping. Here is the main dry garden in the spring:

{{gwi:535624}}

And here's that same area in the summer. (That Aloe Ferox had a major bud rot problem, so as you may notice, the rosette is quite deformed in this photo.)

{{gwi:535626}}

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I have mey pots of tender cactus and my pots of Agave that I am trying to get large enough to put out where they won't be butted to death by the deer. And then there are the pots that are waiting for fill dirt. So things are a mess and things are still reccoupping from a horrid freeze 2 years back.. Nothing as lush as the Californian Gardens. I am still building my house while living in it and tthings are a mess.

There is the famous bridge of pain. Do not run out here on a dark night.

{{gwi:535628}}

Which leads to this unfinished abode.

{{gwi:535629}}

{{gwi:535632}}

{{gwi:535634}}

{{gwi:535635}}

{{gwi:535636}}

{{gwi:535637}}

{{gwi:535638}}
    We just had a 4" of rain and big winds so things really are a mess
    {{gwi:535639}}

{{gwi:530816}}

• wweidele
    10 years ago

Wow everybody has awsome gardens going good job guys your plants look great and @Microthrix where did u get all those cacti lol and I know how u feel I'm 23 when I was your age and ven now I still get the funny faces and "you do what?" But I don't care there the ones missing out lol

• notolover
    10 years ago

The Echinopsis & Trichocereus will be going out soon

{{gwi:535641}}

As you can see, my sunroom doesn't have anymore space in it.

{{gwi:535642}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Wonderful collections, all of them. Enjoyed the photos very much, thank you all.

I have succulents, not many cacti, do they count?
    {{gwi:535643}}

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Hoovb, great colors!

• linda_denman_island
    10 years ago

Wow - that is gorgeous Hoovb! Is that pink flower Calandrinia? The other gardens and set-ups are wonderful too and I've gone back to look at them more than once. :-)
    Here is a little cactus area that I moved out of the unheated greenhouse the other day. The weedy sedum needs to be removed.

• Allan870
    10 years ago

Here's a fisheye view of some of my cactus, succulents, jades, & desert roses.

• FrugalFanny
    10 years ago

Oh this is fun! Loved the tours of your collections. They are all so unique and wonderful!

Thanks for sharing!
    FF

This post was edited by FrugalFanny on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 23:55

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Some of mine, still inside, under shop lights.

Rina

• jllewell84
    8 years ago

I know this is a real late, late comment, but you guys rock! I am just starting a cacti and succulent garden, here in Adelaide, South Australia. We are lucky enough to have the perfect climate and soils for all cacti and succulents.

You all gotta come live in Australia... everyone thinks gardening is really cool, and you are the ultimate if you specialize. Our garden centres are always packed out on weekends and holidays...no-one thinks it's strange for kids to be gardening. Everyone actively encourages their kids to do it, and they're really thankful if they like it... (tasty home veggies!) Our versions of the garden and hardware stores sell heaps of gardening tools and stuff sized for toddlers! You've never seen cute until you've seen a hoe, spade, pitchfork and wheelbarrow for four year olds. Do you guys get stuff like that?

We have a sort of 'cult of the backyard' thing happening. Teenagers get a kick out of making it look like Bali or whatever, and generally take an interest. Unless they are Barbie and Ken dolls, who watch Kardashians and don't take an interest in anything except fake tans... but shhh! We don't like to talk about them, and generally take pains to keep it quiet! LOL

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    8 years ago

I think the "weird looks" are people wondering why their kids/grandkids don't have such an interesting hobby that's not electronic and gets them outside some of the time. Min

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    8 years ago

Wonton:

you are always good for a laugh- your Bridge of Pain just cracks me up! Min

• asclepiad_fan
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Mine has to cope with shade in summer and leaf litter from neighboring yards in winter.

I have set two areas on the balcony and two at the garden (one for shade plants, one for sun-lovers). I kept separate places for growing and for garden display. This approach payed-off. Here is a link to the photos I posted just two days ago in the cactus gallery.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3432175/the-advantage-of-a-mixed-pot-soil-garden?n=1

• tcstoehr
    8 years ago

"Oh, thank you! It is a Semp then. I first thought so, but then second-guessed because I thought the rosettes were perhaps too large to be one."

Yes, ctreeteac, that is indeed a Sempervivum, something that we can grow in zone 8 in rain-spewing Oregon. We don't need any silly cacti. These zone 9-ers and 10-ers ... they're so smug with their Echeverias and their Jade plants and their Agaves ... it never ends. I really can't stand them and it has nothing to do with extreme jealousy as I have so often been told.

Honestly, if it weren't for Sempervivums I would absolutely have to move to a warmer climate. I visited a hybridizer last weekend and he is breeding ever larger rosettes, I saw one at least a foot across. He also showed me a few that looked distinctly like Echeverias and Aeoniums.

It's not exactly a cactus area but it's the closest thing that I have and I might as well contribute something. All Sempervivums. It's just getting started, in a year or two it will be wall-to-wall succulents.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    8 years ago

tcstoe- i suffer from extreme jealousy when i visit my daughter in portland and see the amazing range of flowers, shrubs and trees that grow there. know th e feeling. :) min

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living