Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milly35

Contemplating trying out a new style of gardening...

milly35
9 years ago

Hello all! First off let me say to all those who have posted pictures of your beautiful specimens"Thank You"! You've all inspired me to try the cacti and succulents species; i no longer look at cacti the same way. That being said does anyone have any suggestions for a first timer? Granted I'm currently researching before i make my first purchase but open to any suggestions?

This post was edited by milly35 on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 20:33

Comments (15)

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Well, there are 2 questions that need to be asked:

Do you want to grow them as houseplants or in an outdoor garden?
    What state do you live in?

Zone 6 on the east coast has different conditions than zone 6 in the midwest or the west coast (ie. amount of rain), so a little more info is needed! :)

• milly35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Brody, zone 6 in PA & Id like to grow indoors, looking for anything that blooms.

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

You could go with Easter/Thanksgiving/Christmas cacti or any of the Sansevierias. These plants (cacti and succulents) don't typically make very good houseplants, but these are two that you might have success with. Others should chime in soon....

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

I disagree about succulents not being good house plants. I have several in my southeastern Iowa apartment and they are doing just fine. They reach to the window in the winter but I recently purchased a grow light that I hope will help that. I will post pictures later. I'm on my iPad right now and I don't have the option to upload them on here.

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

They're stretching for light because there is not enough strong light for them indoors. If you live in a house, you can plant them outdoors and they will survive our winters.

Here is a link that might be useful: All about semps

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

Thanks brodyjames, I knew they were stretching for light, that is why I bought a grow light, to try and help with that. I moved here from Georgia 2 years ago and will be leaving the midwest in 2-3 years (i'm in grad school). I live in an apartment without any outdoor space, so the window is the best I have, and they are still doing just fine. milly35, I am posting some pics for you to see my little window garden. I have herbs as well.

Sorry the photo is sideways, its not that way on my computer and I don't know how to fix it on here... or load multiple pics on one post

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

here is another one... I love this one, but its a bit sensitive. the leaves break off easily. I just put the leaves back in the pot and grow lil ones :-)

• milly35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deva33 thanks for the lovely posts! This has def increased my curiosity...I've uploaded a pic of my first purchase of what I know will be my next addiction lol. There's 3 dif kinds smooshed together into alil ceramic planter...I know one is an aloe not sure what the other two are. Wondering if I should seperate them? Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance for your anticpated responses

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Get a cactus and Succulent mix at the store and mix 50-50 of cactus mix and perlite, you can actually get some grittier stuff to put in there aswell like volcanic rock and pebbles (but I'd stick with something simple first) make sure the pot you use has holes in the bottom for drainage. You only wanna water your plants when the soil is dry to the touch, poke your finger into the soil as far as you can if it is moist don't water if it is dry water. The plants you have need direct sunlight to keep there rosettes formed that way,if they don't get enough Sun they well stretch out of there shape looking for light. Don't worry if you make a few mistakes, its bound to happen at sometime. Just have fun and don't go over board...it's hard NOT to sometimes but the simpler the collection the better the plants look.

Goodluck

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

The one on the right is an Aeonium, the exact one I'm not sure, that will give you a little start on searching it's care. I am not sure what it needs.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

The purple one in front may be a Graptoveria, I'm learning all over again myself, so hopefully others will chime in.
    Good luck with your new plants. :-) They are addicting!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Aeonium cv. âÂÂKiwiâÂÂ

• milly35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input everyone...very much appreciated! KittyKat I do believe I have a weekend project thank you so much for the info! And Jojosplants thanks for the ID this will def. help with the TLC they're gonna receive!

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

I seconds KittieKAT's suggestions. A good tip for beginners is to use wooden skewers to tell when the soil is dry and ready for some water.

Beautiful little collection you have there! Enjoy!

p.s. my favorite part is when i spot new growth on my plants. I check them daily and sometimes a little bud just appears overnight! Its so fun!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Your welcome!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz