Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
0nametaken0

ID for my new cactus

0nametaken0
9 years ago

Something might be happening to my cactus. You know where the group of thorns come out off? That areas has gone black. I lost one big thrown last week and another looks like it will drop soon. Is it because some form of physical stress was put onto the thorns? Too much water? I water them once a week only, they get good light and sun as well. The cactus has also come out of the soils abit. I just checked my pot and its dry. Also I moved it to a terracota planter a month ago.

This post was edited by NameTaken on Thu, May 15, 14 at 10:17

Comments (14)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Oreocereus celsianus, I think.

• 100mphtortoise
    9 years ago

Cactusmcharris is correct that's an old man of the andes.

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cool, thanks.

One more question, is this hardy to zone 5?

This post was edited by NameTaken on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 23:03

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

NO, it is not. I think it is hardy to 10F if very dry , and still might get scared by the cold.

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok got it :) I was researching on the plant and I kept seeing it being hardy to various zones. Then I saw a site saying upto zone 5 and went ok....seems odd. So thought to ask.

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Something might be happening to my cactus. You know where the group of thorns come out off? That areas has gone black. I lost one big thrown last week and another looks like it will drop soon. Is it because some form of physical stress was put onto the thorns? Too much water? I water them once a week only, they get good light and sun as well. The cactus has also come out of the soils abit. I just checked my pot and its dry.

This post was edited by NameTaken on Thu, May 15, 14 at 10:15

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would like to bump this because I have a new question. I updated my last post as well as the OP.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I have a few of these, it's a type of old man cactus, very fun! I luv the hair on them it reminded mny bf of his friend jays dads messy scraggly hair so i named one "jays dad" LOL it was one of my first cacti

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

It sounds like rot is happening. What is the soil that you have it in and your watering practices. I would cut the black out with a CLEAN ( with alcohol between cuts) till you have a clear non-discolored flesh) and then dust with cinnamon. I would back off on your watering.

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kittie theres a reason its called old man cactus :)

wanto maybe thats whats happening. Im thinking of repotting it again in a deeper pot. The pot is 3.5" deep and the plant is 4" tall. The soil is cacti and succulent with lots of perlite. There is one drainage hole in the middle of the pot. I will slow it down to one watering per 2 weeks. I will be moving this outside in a few days.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

It might be getting sunburned, was it inside of a store with minimal light? I would try to gradually increase light instead of just hurling it into the strong Sun. Goodluck

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I didn't water mine hardly all winter. I think I am talking one a monthâ¦or less. Now it is our in the sun, I just transplanted it (18" tall , I think). It is a bigger pot and plant. And I don't normally talk to people who live in Z 5 about growing cactus because I am in 8B and it is A LOT different down here. They have a bit of cold hardiness if THEY ARE DRY. I water in the summer , once every week if I am bumping 100F but otherwise I keep it outside in the sun and I water once in two weeks. If I get too much rain , I move the pot under the porch roof. That is my winter spot. The low winter sun hits it but the water does not. I only moved it in Once when it got close to 16F out their. I think there is some frost scarring under the hair but all in all it is an attractive plant. I don't pull my hair out over the details. here are some pictures of it from a couple of years ago. I have no recent pictures.

{{gwi:535787}}

{{gwi:535788}}

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I love the bow! LOL!

I found out the hard way that the hole in the middle of a pot isn't always a good thing. Sometimes the center of the pot is raised a little, so it still ends up holding a ring of water. :-/

I put water in all of mine to make sure before planting in them. I've had to add holes at the edge on many of my pots.

JoJo

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wonto - WOW amazing pics and plants!! I think Im going to transplant it in a bigger pot. Ill pull it out and see whats going on down there. I just got this plant a month or two ago. Its finally warm enough to throw it outside. For the winter it was inside and since its so dry, it does not take long to dry out.