Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I stake it? If so, how?

Posted by Sharpchick 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 20:36

Last May, I bought this interesting aloe at Lowe's - it was in a 3 inch pot and was already 5.5" tall.

I got it home and got to looking and found out it was a. ciliaris (and I think it's a. ciliaris var. tidmarshii, because the teeth go all the way to the base of the leaf).

And that it would grow and grow, rapidly.

It's 15.5 inches tall now (measuring from the gravel to the tip of the topmost leaf). It kind of sways when I rotate it to keep it growing evenly.

I know in the wild this plant uses other plants for support. I'm thinking I probably should stake it - soon - and wonder what you would suggest to use.

I have some 1/4 inch dowels and a roll of velcro stripping that I use on my climbing and rambler roses.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I stake it? If so, how?

Wow - your Aloe ciliaris IS growing fast, or maybe mine is slow. Mine is almost 2 years old, but only about a foot tall. We are in different zones, and mine stays outside in full sun all year. And I'll admit that I don't fertilize as I should.

I have not staked mine, but I did transplant is next to a large "boulder" of coral that I have on a raised island out front. Sorry I don't have a picture of it there. I am hoping it will lean and climb the coral as I have no other plants for it to climb on.

Here's mine, still in the pot -

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here