Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arvin_arbolado

succulent leaf cuttings drying up or turning black/purple

arvin_arbolado
10 years ago

Hi,
I'm a newbie in growing succulents as well as in this forum so forgive me for my questions. I recently tried to propagate leaf cuttings using what i learned from the internet.
1. Let leaf cut dry for a day or two
2. Put them on a 1:1 mix of potting soil/peat and perlite/pumice
3. Wait till they either root or sprout new plant.

My problem is that instead of what its supposed to do, they dry up or turn black/purple. At fist i placed them in the house, when that did not work i placed them outside under the sun. I sometimes mist them. What am i doing wrong? The succulents I'm working on now are echeverias and pachyphytums.

BTW, I live in the Philippines and it starting summer now.

Any help will do. Thank you in advance.

Comments (29)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Arvin,

You're doing the first part right, but you might be needing to mist them more often, every other day or every day is recommended. Keep them in only partial sun until you see them rooting, then you can pot them up and treat them as plants.

• arvin_arbolado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,
    By partial sun, will it work if i just put them indoor where the sunlight somehow comes in? Base on my observatio, when i mist them often that is the time that some parts of the leaf turn black or purple. When the leaf turns black, should i discard them already or is there still a chance of life? Should i just mist the potting instead of the leaf or both?
    Btw, based on your experience how does it take them to root?

sorry for so many questions.

thank you

10 years ago

Discard the leaves and start with fresh ones.

It will take about two weeks if ambient temps are warm (20C or better).

• arvin_arbolado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much. Will follow your instructions and provide updates. Good luck to me

• arvin_arbolado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much. Will follow your instructions and provide updates. Good luck to me

• arvin_arbolado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Arvin, Since I don't know what you are using for your "leaf cuttings" I might add the following and please understand I say this only for clarity. It is important to use good leaves. The top set aren't the best and I don't expect much while you can see the difference on the set below. These are the SAME plant, Echeveria funkii. You will also note, I use coir as a top dressing for some cuttings and a very course mix for others like Haworthia.

{{gwi:536075}}
    {{gwi:536076}}

When you remove the leaves from the stem, they must be removed cleanly and look like this example. This holds true whether it is a jade or Echeveria or whatever, IMHO.

{{gwi:536077}}

I do the same for just about any leaf division. Here are some Haworthia leaves I removed from a plant that had lost its roots. They were put up about two weeks ago and I have new growth.

{{gwi:536078}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I would place them in bright shade, not in any direct sun.

Being so close to the equator you likely live in a very humid-summer area (is that right?) and may not need to mist at all.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

I must agree with Gail. Humidity is all you may need with heat. Many of us have seen things root just lying around their greenhouses. I know when I clean up the greenhouse, I always find leaves that have fallen off and rooted.

• arvin_arbolado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bikerdoc5968: i got the bottom leaves of the echeveria as leaf cutting. My mistake was to put those leaves in a place outside where i thought the sun will not reach.

Thank you

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Arvin, not to be obtuse, but when you say "leaf cuttings" I imagine they were "cut" from the stem and therefore may not have the vegetive tissue necessary to propagate roots. Also, not all rooted Echeveria leaves will grow new plants.

• arvin_arbolado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi bikerdoc5968,
    The leaf cutting I mentioned is the same as the pictures you posted. The method of acquiring the leaf is also the same as you described it.

Thanks

• arvin_arbolado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,
    they are coming out now, thanks to bikerdoc5968

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I've been having the same problem with my leaf cuttings, during the drying process they start to dry out and get mushy and brown. First i thought maybe I'm misting to much and that i should just let them sit on the dry soil or should i mist the soil NOT the actual cuttings??

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Perhaps stop misting them as they simply do not need it.

Succulents hold water in their fat, fleshy tissues, so the leaf (if a healthy one) has the water it needs to propagate w/out being misted. Misting can be contibuting to the rotting issues, they'd probably do much better if you stop misting them.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

It's been a while since i did that, i even started a new batch And still not having any luck

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Glad to see you're having success Arvin. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts to get it going.

Sometime it happens & one doesn't even know it. Like BikerDoc said about cleaning up his greenhouse.

This is a window sill in NYC, western exposure, leaf fell next to its small pot of mixed Kalanchoes.

{{gwi:536079}}

Small but cute.

{{gwi:536080}}

Another leaf I'd pushed down into mix of its small mother pot.

{{gwi:536081}}

• arvin_arbolado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,

kittieKat, they used to be inside the house. When i placed them outside in a shaded area away from direct sunlight they started to sprout. Btw, i also used rooting hormone - hormex. I placed very very small drops onto the calloused part. Maybe this will help

thanks

• arvin_arbolado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,

kittieKat, they used to be inside the house. When i placed them outside in a shaded area away from direct sunlight they started to sprout. Btw, i also used rooting hormone - hormex. I placed very very small drops onto the calloused part. Maybe this will help

thanks

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

ill have to look for some rooting hormone cause unless its an accident of a leaf falling out and landing in the same pot with its mother (which to my surprise when picking up the leave) started to sprout a baby! - but when trying from fresh leaves in there own soil after a few days (i've even tried just putting them into the dirt without waiting) i've had absolutely no luck just a bunch of shriveled leaves :( ... some of my plants I have saved from being mistreated at small stores where they are never watered and all ripped apart and stretching for sun I've specifically bought and brought home so when they are nursed back to health I can try prop-ing with but have had no luck and now some of my plants are looking a little skanky with not many leaves on them, and I'm super worried to start pulling more until they kinda recover... but its not too attractive to have leaveless plants with long stems left sitting on the windowsill lol! but what can I say - I seem to have more luck by accident then by actually trying!

• arvin_arbolado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi kittieKat,

Don't fret, it took more than two weeks for them sprout. Good luck and keep us posted :-)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

KK

"some of my plants I have saved from being mistreated at small stores where they are never watered and all ripped apart and stretching for sun I've specifically bought and brought home so when they are nursed back to health I can try prop-ing with but have had no luck"

Quoting you above

Perhaps starting w/ healthier materials, like those that are NOT at death's door would yield better results.

9 years ago

And not to disagree with Karen, but the misting every several days / when you think about it is not exactly essential, but certainly goes a long way to helping Crassulaceae leaves / cuttings root. If you're in a less-humid environment this misting stimulates the leaves, along with some sun and warmth, to root. This has been proven both south and north of the 49th parallel, so it must be true.

Disclaimer - I haven't grown succulent in humid places, but I imagine the misting might be a bit too much for those with high humidity levels.

{{gwi:528681}}

{{gwi:528680}}

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I'm not trying to prop from the unhealthy plants, atleast not until there healthy enough to thrive for themselves

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I have another accidental baby, but none ive purposely tried to prop :(

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I see a pink spot forming on one of my prop leaves while the others have just shriveled up ans died, is that a sign of a babies growing or am i outta luck again?

• tskn (Sunset 24, USDA Zone 10a)
    9 years ago

I have been planting my cuttings in paper egg cartons with the cut right at the bottom and then laying soil medium on top. They've rooted nicely (I check them), but are not producing new plants yet. Are they too deep? Some of the rooted leaves are starting to dry. Any suggestions on depth or how to get them to grow into new plants?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

I don't know what it is about some Echeveria leaves. I have found, however, some just don't produce new growth. I started the leaves in this picture over a month ago and they are all rooted. In fact, I have tried to remove them and the entire unit comes up with a mass of roots but not one has produced new growth!

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 20:48

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

No photos...It may be a good idea to start your own thread rather than using almost 2yr old one.