Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeepman69_gw

Thanks to the enabler!

jeepman69
12 years ago

Well after this "fix" I think I can make it two more weeks til the show. Thanks again Howard for being my enabler.

Sadly the blooms on this one had already passed before I got to taking pictures. It has beautiful bright orange flowers. Rebutia flavistyla�

{{gwi:536121}}

I have not had a chance to look the next few up yet. So any help IDing would be great.

{{gwi:536123}}

{{gwi:536125}}

{{gwi:536127}}

{{gwi:536129}}

{{gwi:536131}}

Echinocerus rectinatus rubrispinus�

{{gwi:536132}}

Mammillaria Stella-de-tacubaya�

{{gwi:536133}}

Mammillaria dewii

{{gwi:536134}}

Melocactus matanzanus

{{gwi:536135}}

Pachycereus pringlei�

{{gwi:536136}}

Euphorbia monstrose

{{gwi:536137}}

Comments (25)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

All of these are really nice - great score...did I read somwhere you could not resist? I wonder what you will get at the show?!
    I agree about Howard being enabler, posting photos of his collection...so are lots of other members here. Great group!
    Rina

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Now, now.... you did this all on your own! I don't want your significant other to be sending me poison pen letters....

I especially like the Melocactus and wish I could get one as mature as yours with the cap. As you know, they don't begin flowering until they grow their cap. The other one I like very much is the Echinocerus rectinatus rubrispinusi. Congrats on your purchases and may they bring you years of joy and happiness and some good growing.

If these weren't too costly, any chance you could email me? I'm not sure what the rules are about sharing vendor's names and prices on this forum publicly and I sure DON'T want to get anyone's nose disjointed!!!!!!

Howard

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Great photos! It always interests me how catus look so "clean" and spotless.

Howard, what is a cactus "cap?" Is this something they don't grow until they reach a certain age?

Penny

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Members of the genus Melocactus have the common name Turk's Cap cactus and refers specifically to Melocactus azureus. The one that's posted here is called Dwarf Turk's Cap. Until the "cap" is formed, it will not flower.

• jeepman69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! Howard I will send you an email. Any ideas on ID's for the few that I haven't been able to locate?

Glenn

• Kaegen Lau
    12 years ago

I feel these are likely to be the IDs you're looking for.

1. Mammillaria ignota
    2. Notocactus rudibuenekeri cv. Albissimo
    3. and 4. Mammillaria formosa
    5. Cephalocereus senilis

Beautiful collection!

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Thanks, Doc! So that little thingy on top is called the cap and those little red spots won't bloom until the cap matures. Makes sense to me.

Penny

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Penny, the "cap" on some cacti is called a cephalium. See link below for a description.

Hey Glenn...nice haul!! So you couldn't wait, eh?!?

My IDs (~with some spelling policing involved...you know, I can't help myself!):

2. Mammillaria -I had one like this, but never got an ID on it.
    3. Parodia (Notocactus?) scopa
    6. Cephalocereus senilis
    7. Echinocereus rigidissimus v. rubrispinus (was E. pectinatus v. rubrispinu)
    8. Mammillaria (if it was-spelling: stella-de-tacubaya), but it has no central spines. Perhaps it is M. lasiacantha?
    9. Mammillaria duwei

1. NICE Melocactus
    2. maybe Euphorbia flanaganii (not sure monstrose)

Have to run out the door! Have fun at the show! Be sure to take a CART for the "jumpers"!! =D

Here is a link that might be useful: cephalium / cap

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Penny,

Which is why, in less enlightened times, a mature Melocactus (one with a cephalium) was called a 'Turk's Cap' cactus, because of its resemblance to a fez, although I doubt it is as fuzzy.

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

Some cultural things nobody has mentioned yet: Melocactus are from warm, humid environments and will not tolerate any frost, or sustained temperatures in the 40F range. They are extremely rot prone. They will also sunburn easily. Your new plant will require special attention.

I found out these things the hard way, and don't even try to grow them anymore. Lovely plants, but they can't survive outside during the winter in my climate.

Brad

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Almost Penny. The young Melocactus doesn't have the cap until the plant matures. Once mature and grows the cephalium, it begins to flower. The pink spots on the cap are flowers that will be opening soon.

• jeepman69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosemarie

I think you are right about the M. lasiacantha. My camera phone does not pick up the pink hue this whole cactus has, but when I searched the net for pictures the spines and blooms match. On the Euphorbia flanaganii, I have one and it looks nothing like the plant in question. I will try to get a picture of the two next to each other tomorrow. But the one I am sure of looks like a head with limbs coming off of it. This plant pictured here is more erect and not horizontal in nature. I will say the stems are very similar otherwise. So now I am confused. : )

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Brad, thanks for some of the cultural aspects of this very nice genus. You are really wonderful to share your short-comings with us so we might just save a plant. Thanks

Howard

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

The 2nd one, as FerocactusLatispinus said (as 1.), seems like Mammillaria ignota is a match, but may go by Mammillaria albilanata ssp oaxacana now.
    As with #3 (FL has as 2.) name Notocactus/Parodia scopa (could be ssp rudibuenekeri) or name as he has given.

Not sure on the last, Euphorbia, could be a pugniformis if not flanaganii...maybe a young look for it. I'd like to see the 2 next to each other. Will be watching for your pix. Maybe side pic of this one...or what the bottom section of the plant looks like? How large is the plant (stems)?

• plantomaniac08
    12 years ago

Glenn,
    Thanks for sharing, you have very beautiful plants!

Perhaps it's the camera view, but is there a hole in the top of your Echinocereus rigidissimus v. rubrispinus? I was a little concerned when I noticed what looks like a hole, so I just wanted to ask. Post more photos when the cacti that are currently budding, bloom. I'd love to see your Rainbow Cactus (Echinocereus rigidissimus v. rubrispinus) blooming. I have one myself but so far, no buds, no blooms. >.Planto

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, thanks for the link to the cephalium. They sure come in amazing colors.

Jeff, I have no doubt that that is how it got it common name! Perhaps if they were found in Mexico they would have been called sombreros instead.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Planto...and Glenn, here's a little preview! IMHO, these are one of the most beautiful bloomers of the cactus world!!!

Click for larger:
    {{gwi:508656}} {{gwi:508657}}

• plantomaniac08
    12 years ago

Rosemarie,
    Thanks so much for sharing, those are spectacular photos. Is there a certain size (height) the Echinocereus rigidissimus v. rubrispinus has to reach before it blooms? Mine is only about four inches tall at the moment.

Planto

• jeepman69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here you Rosemarie.

{{gwi:536138}}

{{gwi:536139}}

{{gwi:536140}}

{{gwi:536141}}

We could not get this one ID the last time I posted it but it is starting to bloom so I thought we could it another try. They had already closed when I got home today.

{{gwi:536142}}

And this one just because it was blooming. : )
    {{gwi:536143}}

• jeepman69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Planto I cannot take credit for these buds as I just bought the plant. But last night while reading up on it, I came across one article that suggested it needed to be chilled in the winter to produce blooms.

Rosemarie do you find this to be true?

• plantomaniac08
    12 years ago

Glenn,
    Thanks for the information. We had an abnormally warm winter so none of my cacti are blooming right now (unless you want to count two newly purchased cacti, which like yourself, I won't take credit for those buds haha). I'm not sure if you saw my previous post, but I was wondering if the top of your Rainbow cactus has a hole in the top? I think it might just be the camera view but I wanted to be sure it was alright.

Planto

• jeepman69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Planto,

It is just the camera angle, not sure why it looks like it has a hole. I didn't even notice til you said something. I think it maybe just how the light is coming off the torns that are forming.

Glenn

• plantomaniac08
    12 years ago

Glenn,
    *wipes sweat from forehead* Glad to hear it was just the camera angle!

Planto

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Ok, I'll try an ID and see if Rosemarie agress... The last photo looks like Crassula "Springtime." The flowers have that lovely pink to them. Mine with buds.
    {{gwi:536144}}

Penny

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

I'm getting swamped here w/duties at the moment, so I'll have to come back. Just wanted you to know I'm working on it! =)

AFAIK, the Echinoc. does not need a chill to produce blooms. I rarely get frost or freeze here & mine have bloomed many times. Sometimes seemed like 2 months from the time buds started to when they finally opened! LONG wait!

Penny, YES, I'd say the same~ looks like C. 'Springtime' to me as well.

Euphorbia puzzle later!! And other possible IDs too...later!
    Have a fun day!