Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahrich

Aloe Plant

dahrich
10 years ago

Hello:
I recently trimmed a plant of the aloe variety. Don't know which one. Because I read Aloe has healing powers I brushed a part of my arm with the end of the cut off branch.

It immediately stung and now the area is red and hurts a little, itching.

What did I do wrong?

Is there any treatment now for this red area. It's been a week or so since I applied the plant gel.

Thank you

Richard

Comments (15)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Richard,

Not all Aloes have prophylactic properties, and your sensitivity to same may be different than others' - there are a number of variables. Show us a picture of the plant and we'll be able to help you more. There are a number of Aloes which have varying degrees of ethnobotanical use - let's hope you have a beneficial one. Self-doctoring does have its hazards, if I may point it out.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 22:04

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Interesting timing... I just met someone last week who had a large Aloe arborescens plant in her yard and used it as you did (she did not know what species she had, but I saw the plant)... she reacted as you did, with a burning sensation and it caused a pretty significant rash. Aloe vera is a stemless, blue-green-grey plant and you can find lots of photos of it on line.. if you do not have that species of aloe, I would not use it on your skin (some aloes are rather toxic). And even aloe vera causes some people to break out.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I heard that A. arborescens had medicinal powers even stronger than Aloe vera.

• dahrich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cactusmcharris:
    For the benefit of others who may be prompted to apply "aloe" here is a photo of the plant.

I will post a photo of my arm next.

Richard

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Richard,
    That's not an Aloe, but an Agave. I wouldn't rub that on my arm again if I were you...

Planto

• bgp_123
    10 years ago

Richard,
    Think you have an Agave there and not an Aloe!

Bobby

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Hehe, one second faster than Bobby it looks like. :)

Planto

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Oh - that looks like an Agave americana var. medio-picta. Some of these do indeed have caustic sap. It's a beautiful plant - one that I covet!

You probably have what is called contact dermatitis. (I get that from a lot of plants, even those that are not caustic to others.) I have used benadryl gel to stop the reaction and itching immediately after washing the area. If I've waited too long, or it didi't work, then I use a otc cortico-steroid cream. Good luck!

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Know your plants before self medicating.

Christopher

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Yes, let's hope this doesn't progress to gnawing on stop signs if you have toothache.

• dahrich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's obvious I don't have a green thumb

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

A friend called me to say that a neighbor of hers had dug up some nice aloe plants and they were at the curb for the horticulture recycle pickup. They were about 1 foot across and would I like a couple? Well, I always have room for another aloe, so I said sure.

She showed up with the entire back of her SUV filled with ONE plant. It was waaay over a foot in size, and probably a full 4 foot ball with roots attached. And it was an Agave angustifolia marginata. I don't have room for that plant - and we couldn't get it out of her car. Poor thing even ended up with snakes in her car.

So don't feel bad, dahrich! You're not alone. At least you learned something, right? Hope your rash heals soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:536210}}

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Don't beat yourself up too much, everyone has made at least one novice mistake. Having a green thumb has little, if anything to do with making mistakes. Even the most greenest of green thumbs still make mistakes. No one is perfect. :)

Planto

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Yes, Agave sap causes dermatitis.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

The thorns can pack a alkaloid wallop too if a small tip breaks off into your body.