Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleylovesgreen

My aloe Vera plant needs some help. Looking for advice.

Ashleylovesgreen
10 years ago

Hi! I received an aloe Vera plant last May as a gift. The friend who gave it to me told me I could separate the mother plant and the babies into their own pots eventually. This February I decided to do this because the plant was getting bigger. I realize now, I probably should have waited until warmer weather as I live in Ohio. I separated them as gently as I possibly could and put them in draining pots with a regular potting mix because that's what looked like was already in the pot. The mother plant has done fine but looks a little dull a limp. Same with the babies. The babies suffered from some root rot because I over watered them. I took them out removed the rotting leaves and repotted them without watering them for a couple weeks and just recently added a small amount of water. Maybe I am just over thinking things but I just feel like the plants don't look as healthy and I feel terrible. I am posting a picture of the plant before I separated the mother and the babies and then a few pictures of after. My questions are, should I put them in the brightest light possible? Move them outside if it is warm and sunny? Should I start watering them more as it has been two months since I have repotted them? Should I mist them? Any other suggestions please suggest away!! Thank you.

This post was edited by Ashleylovesgreen on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 21:34

Comments (15)

• Ashleylovesgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After

• Ashleylovesgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Babies

• Ashleylovesgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mother

• Ashleylovesgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mother

{{!gwi}}

• gardenper
    10 years ago

Misting them would be fine, but it looks like their soils retain a lot of water. You might consider a potting mix designed for cactus or succulents, or mix some sand with your current potting soil with about 1:1 ratio. There are other formulas adding other things too, but the main thing is that potting mix meant for other kinds of plants retain too much water for aloes.

Their color looks good but they do look a little bit leggy, so if you have a way to give them more light, go ahead. Put the light close to them, since even though we see it as a bright light, but they see it as a weak light source that they are trying to reach up to.

If your temps warm up then they can go outside too, but I would not risk too much cool temps. It's better for them to be leggy just a few more weeks and still survive than to get some frost bite with cold temps.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Pls. don't use sand, it's asking for trouble, will likely compact & help suffocate the roots. We here at GW, tend to recommend against using sand, it often makes more problems.

Get some perlite or pumice if you can, add at least 30-40% to help make the mix faster draining.

• Ashleylovesgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your help. I wish I could give them more sun but our weather just will not let up. Very sunny days have been rare. I will change their potting mix, although I am afraid to because I have already put the plants through some trauma.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

I understand your being hesitant to repot the plants again so soon after the first repot. I was in the same situation. Folks here told me that I could leave my plant in the less than optimum soil and hope for the best or get them into soil where it will thrive asap. I went for the second repot and my plant is doing great.

I'm currently in SW Florida, zone 10A, but I grew up in zone 6 in Portsmouth, OH. While regular potting soil works so-so in Ohio, and my mother still uses it, I think you may do better with at least a cactus and succulent soil. You still need to mix at least 50/50 perlite or pumice with the soil. Every succulent that I used potting soil on when I lived in Toledo died from rot. I didn't think I was overwatering, but the plants did. I think the soil was a big factor.

Hopefully the sun will be shining for you soon! It will lift your spirits and help your plants thrive.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Repotting them into proper mix will be fine - just don't water a plant with roots for several days afterwards.

• Ashleylovesgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the encouragement and advice, all.

• Ashleylovesgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know it's probably hard to tell from pictures, but here are a pictures of the aloe Vera before I repotted them in their new potting mix. Are my plants goners?

• Ashleylovesgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roots of the pups

• Ashleylovesgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roots of the pups

{{!gwi}}

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

They really don't look too bad to me... they just need to settle. Here in zone 9B Texas I grow my Aloes in what I would call "full bright shade" which means they get licked by strong indirect morning light but are in shade the rest of the day. So far I haven't had any issues with etiolattion but the sun here is also a little more intense than it is there. They can take a fair bit of sun though- I just prefer to not have to move them around constantly as I have probably 30-40 pots of various aloes to mess with.

If you decide to repot, I would personally use whatever decent soil you can find, but add a bunch of small pea pebble type rock into the mix. Like more than half.

• heloe
    9 years ago

This plant is 10 year old & 2 ft. high from soil to top. The stem is twisted & cannot support the plant (note the garden wire pulling it up) Should I cut off all the bottom leaves (which are bent & drooping) or lop off the top 1 ft which looks healthy? I know now I should have smaller pot. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County