Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pachycormus discolor question

Posted by tom_termine z5b MA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 21:31

Hi -

The base on my small P. discolor has really been thickening up recently.

The plant seems perfectly fine...but it has developed a small fissure along the line of some bark that is peeling.

It did this last year, as well. At that time, it was outdoors, so I thought it had been attacked by a bird or some other varmint. So, I dusted with a little cinnamon and it did not miss a beat after that.

This time, it is indoors so no varmints could be involved. The base is very firm, but there is a little stickiness around the split.

Anybody every see this on theirs?

Thanks!

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pachycormus discolor question

Yes, mine split this winter too! It worried me at first because it would bleed sap, which later dried into milky looking teardrops. Doesn't seem to have hurt it any. Maybe I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

o

It's from increased girth of the base, won't hurt it. It adds character.

o

It's not often that oozing fissures are a reason to run riot with happiness, so take advantage of it.

I got a baby P. d. from Miles recently. Does anyone know if I should water it infrequently in the summer, rather than let it go bone dry, since it's so little? I guess on one hand they're drought plants for much of the year, but it's such a wee one, I thought a little water would help it to September, but it could also be the source of future rot if I guess wrong.

o

In my climate, I pull back significantly in the hottest part of our summers. Otherwise, mine seem to like to grow...so I water them. They usually tell me when they want to be watered, and when they don't. I agree with your instinct to water a smaller one more frequently, but what do other folks here think about it?

o

Well here's mine. Looking at it now, I can see that it has healed some. The split used to be fairly deep and worrisome, but now it doesn't look too bad.

Pachycormus discolor

o

i would be alarmed if this happend to mine! lol, glad you posted this tom.

in regards to the watering seedlings question,im working on the theory that they must have to put up with the same amount of rain fall in the wild as there parents so ive let my seedlings grow solid for just over a full year now to get them to a size were they look like they can handle themselves.ill probably stop watering in june let them go dorment and bake in the sun.

ill let you all know how many survive lol

ben

o

The front of my base (first pic in my first posting) had a similar split last summer. You can see that it is completely healed over.

T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here