Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Pruned a few Jades....

Couldn't take it any longer....
a couple Jades (Crassula ovata obliqua and Crassula arborescens) had really gotten out of hand.
So I stumped the obliqua back to nothin', and literally cut the arborescens in half. I've been wanting
to whack these for a while, and I feel better already... there's a lot more room on the window-sill now!
The Crassula ovata 'Crosby's Compact' just needed some tips trimmed.

Before:
{{gwi:536434}}

After:
{{gwi:536435}}

And then I had to address this Crassula ovata 'Gollum' that I've been grooming for a bonsai
presentation. Started as a small cutting from Joscience, which I rooted in the garden.

Before:
{{gwi:536436}}

{{gwi:536437}}

And after. Perfect height, trunk, and branch origination.

{{gwi:536439}}

{{gwi:536441}}

Thanks for lookin'!

Josh

Comments (24)

• gmaculata
    11 years ago

LOVE IT!!!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Sparing is daring
    Josh your cuts
    Are debonairing

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gracias, Gents! Glen and Jeff, I knew I could count on you ;-)
    I know those first Jades are still too tall for Jeff's taste...but I figured that last one, coming in at just under 5 inches, would make the grade. I also did some snippin' on my Portulacaria afra...but that ain't a Jade!

Josh

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to document the process.

tj

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Looks great Josh!! It will look even better in a few months. Great job!!

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

They came through the winter happy and healthy!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, tj and Nancy!
    A few months hence we'll re-visit these plants and see how they've developed.

Josh

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, Laura, I missed your post!
    They tolerated the Winter quite well, other than a bit of stretchy growth on that obliqua...it's one of the fastest growing Jades I've met. The 'Silver Dollar' Jade is remarkable in that it grows in such a small pot and requires very little water - must be those thick leaves. I water it less than any other Jade, and it's in a coarse mix of nothing more than red and grey lava rock (Scoria).

Josh

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Beautiful 'Silver Dollar.' Still need to find one of those because I really admire the color.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Mine got a cut last month, too. It's really kind of surprising they grow so much in winter here.

{{gwi:536443}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Whoa, is that Stumpy?!

Josh

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

Timber! They all look great!

T

• hijole
    11 years ago

Josh, nice looking jades and your pots look mighty nice too, I have some I'll try to post tomorrow.

Cactusmcharris , Boy yours looks like the Hawaii high five sign lol once the leafs show up I'm sure it'll look even more interesting .

Greg

• hijole
    11 years ago

Josh here it is, I actually placed this in a pot this morning before I left for work, dedication huh?

Greg

• americangolden
    11 years ago

Looking great greenman!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, American!

Greg, a very fine-fingered Jade, indeed! 'Gollum' or 'Skinny Fingers,' close enough. Yours is showing great color.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey Josh! You are very daring and I admire you for that. I can't remember the last time I cut mine way back and in fact I have been a bit afraid to do so.

Do you think if I post mine you can guide me since all yours always look super?

Good to see you and the beauties you show here:-)

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, Mike, welcome back, buddy ;-)
    The longer I stare at a gaunt or imbalanced Jade, the more I want to chop it! Post a pic please, and I'm sure we can suggest some possible cuts. Can't hurt to brainstorm...

Josh

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I debated whether I should post these updates, as I certainly don't want my posting to appear antagonistic. That said, I took the pics to be shared, so that's what I'll do. I'm most excited that the obliqua is showing signs of new growth...sure, I believed it would, but taking a Jade back to nothing always presents a risk.

{{gwi:536446}} {{gwi:536448}}

The small-leaf Jade (most likely 'Crosby's Compact') that I tip-pruned.

{{gwi:536450}}

And lastly the 'Gollum' that was pruned.

{{gwi:536452}}

Josh

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Antagonistic ? You ?
    Not to disbelieve you but I'd say your more confident that antagonistic.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Wes ;-)
    Look at those...a leggy pruned Jade, and a 'Legolas'!
    Is that top Jade a 'Tricolor'? I can just barely make out some of those pink-tinged new leaves. I like the kink in the stem.

Josh

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

The former leggy growth of the tri color is is one of those things I inherited last year and has seen worse leggy days thinking it's Crassula Argentea or C. Lemon Lime.

Why I have a soft spot for the not so well grown plants I inherit is yet to be explained.

Just wanted to sneak the 'Legolas' in for you, I'm exited to receive the cutting as gift from a common variegated plant fan friend who has a firm no leggy plants allowed policy.

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

Hi josh I have seen this thread before, but I gotta say I love your jades they are so great looking.....
    i like the jade thread with lots of pictures thanks....linda