Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Haworthia Who?

Posted by bikerdoc5968 6 SE MI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 21:44

I received this in trade as H mutica but me thinks it is something else. The ends of the leaves are not blunt and slightly rounded as H. mutica. Maybe H. retusa????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Haworthia Who?

Posssible H. mutica Stormvlei

o

While it could be a variety of H. mutica, none of the pictures I've seen have teeth on the leaf margins as mine has.

o

Does it have offsets? Seems like similar types that offset easily are common and sold under many names, including retusa. Looking at lists of species, I can't figure them out. And the naming is hardly clear cut either, with old names and different opinions of clumping versus splitting of species.

Could some of these in the trade be hybrids? The easy offset of pups makes some very easy to propagate.

o

Could be Turgida.

o

Is mine the same plant? If so, it is Haworthia pygmaea f. crystallina.

Christopher

o

Thanks Chris but I know it is not H. pygmaea

o

emelyae v. major ????

o

H. emelyae major has rough textured leaves. These are smooth with leaf margin spines.

o

Got yourself a not as easy to find Haworitha. Good news is you and others know what it's not. If your using some form of a detailed plant ID guide may I ask which one ?

o

Looks like one of the common ones that cluster to me, like the first one I bought. I asked for an ID and got a bunch of different answers that didn't seem to match either.

This post was edited by noki on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 0:43

o

I now believe this is Haworthia mirabilis mundula.

o

Very close if not your exact, if exact IMO yours is better looking than those I have seen via image searching.

o

• Posted by hablu z8 Netherlands (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 15:28

I think it is H. mutica and that that lable was correct.
Compare to mine in the picture. (Hm, when :I see my picture the teeth are not very well to see, but they are there :)

greets Harry

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 17:20

Howard

This is one I bought as H.mirabilis mundula. It seems the teeth are same as yours, but leaves are dark green and don't seem to be as "juicy" looking as yours or Harry's. And the windows on yours look more see-thru to me too. But mine probably doesn't get as much light as yours, so coloring may be different?
Unless label on mine was wrong...or I am wrong (wouldn't be first time).

Rina

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 17:31

Here they are side-by-side (my photo is not as good as other two!)

Rina

o

Rina, your photo is just fine. Don't beat yourself up... this isn't a photo contest...LoL!!!

I think yours looks somewhat less "plump" is because you may be growing yours harder; less water, more light, etc.

Harry, I do see the similarities. You may be correct. But when I look at both of ours, I see more blunting of the tips of the leaves on yours while mine are more of a sharp triangular shape.

Bottom line, this is so confusing but I thank all of you very much for your honest participation...I enjoy this conversation!

Howard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here