Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why the pebbles or bark on top?

Posted by QSis none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 21:56

I'm looking at all the incredible photos of forum members here, and am wondering why people put pebbles or bark around the tops of their plants.

Functional or just decorative?

Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why the pebbles or bark on top?

The rock / gravel AKA top dressing is both, Lee, aesthetically pleasing, keeping down weeds and evaporation, sometimes supporting plants and one more thing to obsess about in the staging of a plant(s).

photo Plants082712032.jpg

A few of the plants below were supported by the extra-chunky top dressing, obviously chosen for function over form.

photo DSC05324.jpg

o

A lot of times the soil mix has a lot of perlite in it and it will float to the top when watered. The soil can be very light. The pebbles on top help weight the soil down. It also can protect the soil from heat and top up evaporation. I like the look of the big chinks , especially when the plants get bigger.

I frown in bark chunks on top but bark in the mix is OK.

o

• Posted by QSis none (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 10:27

Ah!

Thank you for the replies!

I am beginning to understand the obsession myself!

:-)

Lee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here