Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Echeveria ID?

I got this division of an unknown Echeveria. I think with some good treatment and some sun, it just may get some nice color. Any help with an ID?

{{gwi:537231}}

Comments (15)

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Looks like Echeveria subrigida, Howard! Lucky you!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Looks like"..... Well, is it or not? Rosemarie we place a lot of responsibility on your shoulders and we have come to expect more than, "Looks like" LOL Thanks for your expert assistance. I'm going to try to get some more of them. They haven't been care for very well and there are others in a couple of large 14" pots along with another Echeveria, also unidentified, that are in need of some serious attention.... MINE!!!!!!!

This is the other Echeveria.

{{gwi:537232}}

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

It's Echeveria subrigida. I have been looking to buy this plant for a while now, but haven't found it locally. Gives me a reason to drive around CA and visit other nurseries. I have E. Afterglow which looks a lot like it except it is more blue/pink.

{{gwi:537233}}

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

It looks like Rosemarie may just be right...

this time ;-)

All those other times she got a name right were probably just freaky accidents. She just reaches into her magic hat and pulls out a name. It's just dumb luck that she gets the right one 99.9% of the time. Anyone could do it.

Except me :-(

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Hee hee, Howard...I try to leave room for error. It is possible you know, that I don't get it right every time. Ha! From what I can see, it seems to be E. subrigida. It is not likely anything else. LOL~Is that better? As Penny says, it looks like E. 'Afterglow', but coloring is different. E. subrigida is one of 'Afterglow's parents.

The other Echeveria you posted, I saw in another of your threads. I started on the hunt, but got sidetracked & forgot where I was to go back! LOL It looks a little like some Echeveria cultivars, but not a match to any I've seen. I believe it is a hybrid, but of what? It's a mystery to me! There is one named 'Blondie' which has a similar wide shape, but the crinkles on the edges are more wavy & do not have the red edge. At different times of the year it looks even more crinkled, like another plant altogether. It is a hybrid of E. pallida, so maybe your plant has that in it? Another that looks close is 'Candy Wright' (hybrid by Dick Wright), but again, the edge isn't colored as yours & I couldn't say, not knowing what yours (or these) looks like at different times of the year. Gather a collection of pix of this mystery -and blooms- to take a look at down the road. If your plant's leaf edges get more crinkly, it may be 'Crinoline'. Am I making the waters muddy for ya, Howard?? :P

I've been putting this response together too long! Just saw your comments, Brad...and I'm chuckling. Hee hee hee! Too funny! We all know you have quite the collection & are just as likely to name all these guys, Brad!!

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Okay, after all that, I found a pic of a young 'Crinoline' & yours looks most similar to it. Like I said, watch it as it grows, see if the edges get more crinkles in it & keeps the pink/red edge. You may never know it's real name...but can always call it "Beautiful"!!!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone... Yes, for now it will be Echeveria 'Beautiful'

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I found one that is close... Echeveria 'Capri'. It was on a website, www.echeveriasinoz.com.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Maybe I'm just whining here, but one thing about Australia is that they seem to have a ton of Echeverias there that we don't have here. I have a book printed there and it has gorgeous Echeverias photos that really showcase these plants, just like the link Doc gave us. Please, someone, tell me that we really do have this wide variety of Echeverias available here in the USA and that I just need to do a little more hunting for them!

Penny

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Penny, I don't think it's "whining". Part of it is sometimes there are people who have been doing this longer than either of us and have their "go-to" vendors. It's like the amazing Japanese hybrid Haworthia I recently saw. I've never seen anything like them on any vendor's site in the USA. So we just have to ask the right questions and hope some of the wonderful people that frequent this site will provide some sources for that special plant.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

That one ('Capri') you found at Bev's site in Australia is somewhat like yours, Howard, but I don't think that's it. Do you see the notches in the middle of the leaf end on some of them? I think that might be how it got its name, looking like (what I know) the side hem of capri pant legs (maybe?). Echeveria hybrids are some of the hardest to name, unless they have very distinctive characteristics. Many change so much through the year, you have to do a series of pix, tracking them...and even then, it's difficult to ID!

Yes, Penny, they do have many named Echeveria in Australia that we don't have, but we do have plenty hybrids here! Now, whether or not you can find them being sold is another thing. C&S shows are your best bet. I'm still kicking myself for not snatching up the 'Raindrops' I saw this last time! You'll just HAVE to come down to S.D. in June for the show/sale! If you come, I'll take you to The Plant Man's shop in Old Town! Here's what I saw when I visited last:
    {{gwi:537234}} {{gwi:537235}} {{gwi:537236}}

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You guys in the Southwest/West US sure do benefit from location. Rarely do I see any kind of selection of cactus or succulents nor have available vendors.... does this mean I have to move.... Oh, when can I.... hope it's soon. The winters are taking their toll on me!!!!!

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

If moving is an option, Howard, then ~YES! I know I could not tolerate the winters you & others endure. I need year round sunshine for my mental health!

Just so you know, the selection shown above is not the normal fare of plants one would find here. If you visit nurseries that specialize in succulents, then these types can be found. Sometimes we have to travel a bit to get to them. Otherwise, we count on hitting the big box stores around the time of new shipments & keep our fingers crossed! =) For me, I'm looking for something I don't already have! These days, not much new stuff being stocked, but once in a while I get lucky.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, I do the same thing with the Big Box stores. The difference is this kind of thing is more popular in your neck of the woods so we get VERY so-so stuff. At least the "Blue" Big Box store doesn't get anything in with straw flowers....LOL! The other side of this is when they do get some nice things in, most people haven't a clue what they are and they sit all season and I attack comes the fall when they can't wait to get rid of the stuff usually picking up some nice things at bargain prices.... but you've been there and done that.

• culibra
    12 years ago

Hi All,
    Letting you all know that 95% of the Echeverias in Australia depicted on www.echeveriasinoz.com originally came from U.S in early '80's

Bev in Oz

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor