Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many days before rooting cuttings

Posted by klyde 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 22:41

Hey all

I've got a few cuttings of rhipsalis, and I'm wondering how many days to wait before I root them up. I did it a few years ago, but can't remember how long I waited...what is the best length of time. I'd sure listen to some good advice on how to root them up too if you've got the time...

Kelly in Victoria

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many days before rooting cuttings

I've recently gotten some myself & potted them into a mix of 1/2 African violet mix & 1/2 perlite. Set the cuttings in damp mix, mist every couple of days.

I'd use small plastic pots, 2-3 cuttings per pot & I don't remember how long it takes, it's fast, but don't recall it in days, or like maybe weeks (I guess I didn't mark how long it took, sorry).

o

Hi PG

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't very clear about my question...I was wondering how long to let the cuttings dry before rooting them. I've always done that with succulents, and it works like a hot damn. Just not too sure if it's a few days or a couple of weeks. That kind of thing :)

Kelly in Victoria

o

Kelly,

A few days should suffice for almost any cutting (depending on the size). If you want to accelerate the process you can daub Rootone on the cut end.

o

Hey Kelly,

Wow, I had no idea that's what you meant.

You don't need to do that w/ these (IMO). They originate in jungle that is rain forest, so they're in a pretty humid environment. I believe they root where they fall & I doubt they get much time to dry out. When I take cuttings of my own, maybe I leave them out overnight, at most a day or 2 'cause they really don't need it.

o

Thanks cactusmcharris and pirate girl!

Kind regards
Kelly in Victoria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here