Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltran54

Crown of Thorns plants

Marie Tran
11 years ago

Hello friends in this forum. I post mostly my DR in adenium forum, but today I want to share some of my crown of thorns plants with you. I take all these pictures today, many more pots, but they are not in full bloom, so I leave them alone for now.

Some of them are not blooming yet, but most of them are showing their beauty since February and will slow down from July to Sep. (because it is too hot) the blooms will be back around October through the winter.
Although, some will bloom all year round, especially the small flowers.

The flowers will last around 2 months, so it is worth to own some COT.

{{gwi:538104}}

{{gwi:538107}}

{{gwi:538109}}

{{gwi:538111}}

{{gwi:538113}}

{{gwi:538115}}

{{gwi:538116}}

{{gwi:538117}}

{{gwi:538118}}

{{gwi:538120}}

{{gwi:538121}}

{{gwi:538122}}

{{gwi:538125}}

{{gwi:538127}}

{{gwi:538128}}

{{gwi:538130}}

{{gwi:538131}}

{{gwi:538133}}

{{gwi:538136}}

{{gwi:538138}}

{{gwi:538140}}

{{gwi:538144}}

{{gwi:538145}}

{{gwi:538146}}

{{gwi:538150}}

{{gwi:538152}}

{{gwi:538155}}

{{gwi:538156}}

{{gwi:538158}}

{{gwi:538160}}

{{gwi:538162}}

{{gwi:538163}}

{{gwi:538164}}

{{gwi:538165}}

{{gwi:538166}}

{{gwi:538167}}

Comments (19)

• Microthrix
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful plants! I've killed too many in my day, so I've given up on them ( ._.)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Georgeous plants, Marie.
    So many colors, varieties...
    Do you prune them at all?

Rina

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

Great job on those!

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Microthrix, Rina, and Greta.
    Rina, I do prune them and trade for different colors. I am not good at cuttings, most of them rot in my care.
    Marie

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

Holy cow! Impressive!

Tom

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Impressive as always I hsve one like the third picture down. It was mostly killed by some 25F weather this winter. I was surprised considering what was brought up in the last thread about hardiness. One section lives to grow on. What is your dirt like?

• auron22
    11 years ago

Love, love, LOVE them! I just recently purchased a rooted cutting because it was so strange and I never saw one before, I had no idea they could look so shapely. Mine are just three cuttings with no branches in a small pot. Yours look like thorny mini hydrangea trees....or something...Tropical roses? You get my point.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wantonamara, COT is easy to care for. It grows in any dirt, needs full sun to bloom. The bigger the pot, the faster it grows. The blooms last a very long time, so it is pretty plant.
    I move them under my patio in the winter and some continue to bloom during winter time. By Februrary I move them out and they start to grow.

Auron, your cuttings will soon branches out and become full plant. Good luck to you.

Marie

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Those are beauties.I only have 2 of these so far,but they thrive on neglect for me.Both of mine are in bloom now as well,and here in S.Calif they have never lost all their blooms,have a few flowers year round.
    Kathi

• Danielle Rose
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I've never seen such an awesome collection of different kinds all in one place! They're just lovely.

A friend of mine has the cutest little Crown of Thorns, which she neglects like crazy. And still, it rewards her with little red flowers all year round! That was the first time I'd seen that plant. I've found a seller on eBay who has both of the kinds I've been looking for: one with tiny red flowers, and one with larger creamy yellow flowers. I'm traveling a bit over the next month, but once I'm home for good, they're MINE. :)

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

You are most welcome, Marie!

• auron22
    11 years ago

Question itran54,
    What kind of soil do you use? I recently thought about potting mine up and using just cactus soil mix in a bag.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Auron, COT doesn't need good drainage soil, I use my husband garden soil that he buys 1 yard at the time. Mix with perlite (no special ratio). Once in the blue moon I give it super bloom liquid mix.

I didn't know about them until 3 years ago. Now I collect different colors. I have more but not ready to show off yet. Marie

This post was edited by ltran54 on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 8:33

• auron22
    11 years ago

Thanks Itran54 :)

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Your crown of thorns are lively and the plant shapes are even. Looks like you learned a plant spell

• averil
    11 years ago

Hi Marie, I'm just lurking around and what do I see ....... More of your stunning plants! You are a master at your art!, I didn't realise you grew these as well as adeniums. I had one of these beautiful plants many years ago and being young and careless never looked after it. Sadly I don't see them around these days. Thanks again for sharing your beautiful plants
    Regards
    Averil Uk

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Teen, and Averil.....
    Averil, I have other plants, but only one or 2 of each kind. Adenium and crown of thorns are my collection.
    You see me most on adenium forum.

Marie

• Verine Blucher
    8 years ago

Such beautiful crown of thorns

The flowers are just spectacular. I have over twenty different varieties and still want more :)