Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crown of Thorns plants

Posted by ltran54 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 23:12

Hello friends in this forum. I post mostly my DR in adenium forum, but today I want to share some of my crown of thorns plants with you. I take all these pictures today, many more pots, but they are not in full bloom, so I leave them alone for now.

Some of them are not blooming yet, but most of them are showing their beauty since February and will slow down from July to Sep. (because it is too hot) the blooms will be back around October through the winter.
Although, some will bloom all year round, especially the small flowers.

The flowers will last around 2 months, so it is worth to own some COT.

photo IMG_0287.jpg

photo IMG_0286.jpg

photo IMG_0285.jpg

photo IMG_0284.jpg

photo IMG_0282.jpg

photo IMG_0281.jpg

photo IMG_0278.jpg

photo IMG_0277.jpg

photo IMG_0275.jpg

photo IMG_0274.jpg

photo IMG_0273.jpg

photo IMG_0272.jpg

photo IMG_0271.jpg

photo IMG_0270.jpg

photo IMG_0268.jpg

photo IMG_0267.jpg

photo IMG_0266.jpg

photo IMG_0265.jpg

photo IMG_0264.jpg

photo IMG_0263.jpg

photo IMG_0262.jpg

photo IMG_0261.jpg

photo IMG_0260.jpg

photo IMG_0253.jpg

photo IMG_0251.jpg

photo IMG_0246.jpg

photo IMG_0245.jpg

photo IMG_0240.jpg

photo IMG_0234.jpg

photo IMG_0232.jpg

photo IMG_0231.jpg

photo IMG_0230.jpg

photo IMG_0201.jpg

photo IMG_0200.jpg

photo IMG_0199.jpg

photo IMG_6981-1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crown of Thorns plants

Just few more.
 photo IMG_0007-1.jpg

photo IMG_0165.jpg

photo IMG_0151.jpg

photo IMG_0154.jpg

o

Beautiful plants! I've killed too many in my day, so I've given up on them ( ._.)

o

Georgeous plants, Marie.
So many colors, varieties...
Do you prune them at all?

Rina

o

Great job on those!

o

Thank you Microthrix, Rina, and Greta.
Rina, I do prune them and trade for different colors. I am not good at cuttings, most of them rot in my care.
Marie

o

Holy cow! Impressive!

Tom

o

Impressive as always I hsve one like the third picture down. It was mostly killed by some 25F weather this winter. I was surprised considering what was brought up in the last thread about hardiness. One section lives to grow on. What is your dirt like?

o

Love, love, LOVE them! I just recently purchased a rooted cutting because it was so strange and I never saw one before, I had no idea they could look so shapely. Mine are just three cuttings with no branches in a small pot. Yours look like thorny mini hydrangea trees....or something...Tropical roses? You get my point.

o

Wantonamara, COT is easy to care for. It grows in any dirt, needs full sun to bloom. The bigger the pot, the faster it grows. The blooms last a very long time, so it is pretty plant.
I move them under my patio in the winter and some continue to bloom during winter time. By Februrary I move them out and they start to grow.

Auron, your cuttings will soon branches out and become full plant. Good luck to you.

Marie

o

Those are beauties.I only have 2 of these so far,but they thrive on neglect for me.Both of mine are in bloom now as well,and here in S.Calif they have never lost all their blooms,have a few flowers year round.
Kathi

o

Gorgeous! I've never seen such an awesome collection of different kinds all in one place! They're just lovely.

A friend of mine has the cutest little Crown of Thorns, which she neglects like crazy. And still, it rewards her with little red flowers all year round! That was the first time I'd seen that plant. I've found a seller on eBay who has both of the kinds I've been looking for: one with tiny red flowers, and one with larger creamy yellow flowers. I'm traveling a bit over the next month, but once I'm home for good, they're MINE. :)

o

You are most welcome, Marie!

o

Question itran54,
What kind of soil do you use? I recently thought about potting mine up and using just cactus soil mix in a bag.

o

Auron, COT doesn't need good drainage soil, I use my husband garden soil that he buys 1 yard at the time. Mix with perlite (no special ratio). Once in the blue moon I give it super bloom liquid mix.

I didn't know about them until 3 years ago. Now I collect different colors. I have more but not ready to show off yet. Marie

This post was edited by ltran54 on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 8:33

o

Thanks Itran54 :)

o

Your crown of thorns are lively and the plant shapes are even. Looks like you learned a plant spell

o

Hi Marie, I'm just lurking around and what do I see ....... More of your stunning plants! You are a master at your art!, I didn't realise you grew these as well as adeniums. I had one of these beautiful plants many years ago and being young and careless never looked after it. Sadly I don't see them around these days. Thanks again for sharing your beautiful plants
Regards
Averil Uk

o

Thank you Teen, and Averil.....
Averil, I have other plants, but only one or 2 of each kind. Adenium and crown of thorns are my collection.
You see me most on adenium forum.

Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here