Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Euphorbia medusoid identification

Posted by swimeatsleep_repeat 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 23:22

I need help finding the name of this guy; it's been bothering me for quite some time. Getting a name would help me be able to nail a price on it. After an extensive search of the internets in an attempt to find similar plant structure/inflorescences, the best I could come up with was something like Euphorbia esculenta (See last pictures at bottom of this page: http://www.u4ba.nl/Section medusae/section_medusaeAE.htm ). However, the plant I have has richly-colored maroon leaves and infructescences (fruit), even when grown in different degrees of sunlight. Wondering if anyone has had experience with any of these or if I have a hybrid on my hands (not unlikely).
Additional info:
The picture is old, the specimen now has a 16-inch diameter (including its arms) and the caudex is probably about 4-6 inches in diameter.
Specimen was a volunteer in a pot (from a very well-respected garden of rarities), so I can't possibly know for sure if it isn't a hybrid.
It would also be helpful if you are able to give me a reasonable value.
Somewhat similar plant under esculenta name (with a price): http://www.fat-plants.com/euphorbia_esculenta36.html
I'll attach a couple more pics.
Thank you so much in advance!
Take it easy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Euphorbia medusoid identification

this is another view:

o

and this view shows the infructescence (maroon like the leaves):

o

I am not an expert on Euphorbia medusoid plant types although I do have four different types in my collection. When I first saw your plant I thought it might be a Euphorbia caput-medusae or a hybrid with caput-medusae. First the cyathia is whitish which the caput-medusae is as well. The length of the leaves look correct and it is not unusual for them to have a purplish cast. I found a photo of a caput-medusae that sure shows a lot of simularities. It is very hard to put an exact name to these plants because they seem to exibit a lot of minor differences on named plants. I wish I could help more but these are tough ones to nail down.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Euphorbia_caput-medusae_01.JPG

o

Thanks so much, denniso_z9_so_cal. Caput-medusae is one of my suspicions, but you're so right about the multitude of minor differences. So many variations and so much hybridization... May not know what it really is, but it's a pretty plant I guess! Thanks again.

o

Very nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here