Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Repotting a Ric Rac Cactus

Posted by teisa 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 0:31

I bought 6 -1.5 ft rooted Ric Rac Cactus plants. I cut these in 1/2 and potted them all together. My question is how fast will Ric Rac Cactus root? I'm wondering if I need to bag it or will it root easily?

-Tess

This post was edited by teisa on Wed, May 15, 13 at 12:22

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Repotting a Ric Rac Cactus

Tess,

Don't put in wet soil, don't water, don't bag unrooted cuttings - to root they must have air movement, some sun (bright indirect light), warmth, and for water, mist them only (unless they have roots already, in which case you can water the rooted ones lightly until growth is evident). A picture would confirm, but you may have Selenicereus anthonyanus. Oh, wait a few days after repotting to apply any sort of water.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Wed, May 15, 13 at 9:29

o

I added the picture of the potted Ric Rac. I also have a picture of the singles before I cut them in half and put them in the pot all together. So Im gathering from your post Cactusmcharris that I will have to water LIGHTLY since it is cuttings and rooted plants together.

o

No, I'd mist the whole lot until you see growth on all pieces, unless you want to repot the rooted ones in one pot and the other, unrooted pieces in another. That would be how I would do it. Ric rac, crack a back, give a dog a bone...

o

Ok thanks alot for the info! I think I will take the unrooted ones out of the pot and pot them up by theirself. Then I can moniter their roots better and once they develop roots, put them together. The pieces were like 1.5 foot long!!! This older man had a small nursery where he grows cactus. I paid $1 a plant for 1.5 ft pieces!! Thought that was unbelievable!!! He had probably 75 of these.

Thank you for the fast response!!

o

You're welcome, and congrats on the good deal. I'm one of those older men, and we feel good when we give plants to budding succulentists...I don't know if that makes me a narcissist or a do-gooder.

o

A benevolent megalomaniac maybe?

Nahhhh...Jeff is not as old as he lets on either but he has some serious seniority here at C&S...sure it says he first registered in 09 but that's a newer id(wow Jeff..I can't even remember your previous handle now at all...what was that again?).

When he speaks...we listen! The man KNOWS his sux!!! :)

o

I believe that is a epiphyllum species. If it is it should have gorgeous flkower

o

Would be my guess too....then again I suck at sux! :D

o

Well cactusmcharris I am new to the cactus forum but not to GW. I mainly grow Hoyas and my next favorite is Epiphyllum and Crown of Thorns. You guys have been Very helpful and friendly. Is there a name your known by besides cactusmcharris? :).

I made a mistake on the size of the plant. When I measured my plant cuttings while repotting today. Each plant was 18-22"!!! So they were 3ft before I cut them!! Im pretty sure I have 1 that is getting ready to bloom!

o

Wow those are some impressive branches! This epi is next on my list to collect.....or trade for ;)

o

By the way...

Sure hope I didn't offend you up there Jeff.

Hope you KNOW that I don't really think you're a megalomaniac...I was just being playful and expected similar feedback but when you let this post slip on by it kinda made me wonder if I'd gone and stuck the ole foot in the mouth again.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. :)

o

asleep you are not the only person who says things you dont mean. i also misinterpet jokes. you know what i mean jeff😩

o

I used to have a ric rac cactus,took forever for it to bloom and once it did I found I didn't like it that much.Eventually I got rid of it.

I like epiphyliums(sp),and COT'S, echinopsis,and epidendrums,among other things.
kathi

o

Asleep and teen I have been known to open mouth and insert foot. Even at my ripe old age it still happens.
I recently acquired a few ric rac cuttings so this thread has helped me.
So I'm hoping for the best. Thank you for the information.

o

Thank you Entero,that's very kind of you. :)
...and my apologies to Tess as well for any ill perceived behavior on my part...

Now back to your regularly scheduled cactus. :D

o

AITG, there certainly is not any ill perceived behavior. I find you guys very friendly and helpful. I'm enjoying our gardening experiences together! I am also glad I wandered over this way....

o

I am humbled by your kindness.
Thank you. :)

....Glad you wandered over as well! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here