Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

May blooms

Again, I don't have anything exiting blooming, please post any that are blooming for you.

Kalanchoe 'Pearl bells' - have 3 pots, so there is always one blooming.

Rina

Comments (46)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not sure (again...) about correct ID (pachyveria exotica?)

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sat, May 4, 13 at 1:18

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Very pretty bells, Rina! Thanks for starting the May bloomer thread. Sorry it took me so long to get back to it. I got sidetracked. I never got blooms on my xPachyveria exotica, but yours are great!

Here's a whole slew of plants with buds or blooms (except one-you find it!). May bore you with these, but they make me happy when they're doing their thing!

No time to name them just yet, but if you need to know one, please say which row & then 1, 2 or 3.
    Row 1 {{gwi:539982}} {{gwi:539984}} {{gwi:539986}}

Row 2 {{gwi:539988}} {{gwi:539990}} {{gwi:539992}}

Row 3 {{gwi:539994}} {{gwi:539996}} {{gwi:539998}}

Row 4 {{gwi:540001}} {{gwi:540003}} {{gwi:540004}}

Row 5 {{gwi:540005}} {{gwi:540006}} {{gwi:540007}}

Row 6 {{gwi:540008}} {{gwi:540009}} {{gwi:540010}}

Row 7 {{gwi:540011}} {{gwi:540012}} {{gwi:540013}}

Row 8 {{gwi:540014}} {{gwi:540015}} {{gwi:540016}}

Row 9 {{gwi:540017}} {{gwi:540018}} {{gwi:540019}}

Row 10 {{gwi:540021}} {{gwi:540023}} {{gwi:540025}}

Row 11 {{gwi:540027}} {{gwi:540029}} {{gwi:540031}}

Row 12 {{gwi:540033}} {{gwi:540035}} {{gwi:540037}}

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Roro, your aeoniums are so amazing. I can not get your Photobucket files to "embiggen" when I click on them. It might have somethng to do with that I am not a photo bucket member. I thought you might want to know. It has always been an issue I have with photo bucket files, not just these. Once you did a slide show and that worked, Strange.

My Astrophytum ornatum bloomed and as usual, I am never satisfied with one picture. Deciding is so hard. On my flicker page there are many more but I will not bore you THAT much.If you click on the image, they will embiggen and go to my flicker page

{{gwi:540039}}
    {{gwi:540041}}

{{gwi:540043}}

{{gwi:540045}}

Here is a Echinocactus texensis in my rock garden that I found right before a storm hit.

{{gwi:525637}}

A mammillaria mystax
    {{gwi:525642}}

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Beautiful Astrophytum, Mara! I, too, cannot decide on just one pic & in the past, posted many of each plant. Now, posting so many diff plants, I try to limit. Love the pink AND the setting of your E. texensis. Nice pink halo on that last one! =)

Thanks for letting me know about trouble w/my pix. I'm fairly certain you do not need to be a PB user to see them. I hovered over each pic & the links to go to PB photo is there, so seems like it should work. (Is anyone else having this problem?)

In the past, I had some trouble while PB was making changes w/layout on their site & it took a while before figuring out how to get clickable thumbnails. So, you're telling me when you click on pic ~ nothing happens? Or does it go to PB site at all? I didn't load very large pix, but you should be able to see something larger than the thumbnail.

I have an issue w/GW about imbedding larger than thumbnail pix in the posts. Maybe now that we can edit posts, this isn't such a big deal. Will have go to the test forum to experiment.

New development on my Yucca's first time...BLOOMing now (or starting, anyway): 'Bright Edge'

(hoping you just) click for larger view

{{gwi:540048}}

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I love Yuccas. The deer love to eat mine. I have literally hundreds of Yuca rupicolas that grow wild on my land and are sending stalks up right now and every night they dissapear one by one. Frustrating. Last year I had not one bloom.

I click the image , it takes me to your PB page but the image that is shown is the same size as the thumbnail of the image above, and then there does not seem to be a way to get to or click my way to a larger image. I am on Safari, I wonder if it is a problem with that. Computers , I do not understand AT ALL. I have a friend and she see the pictures I post on here elongated and when she switches from firefox to something else it works fine. She clicks to the Flicker page and it is fine. Too many variables. I will get out my magnifying glas and look at your pictures.

• notolover
    10 years ago

Lovely flowers for Mother's Day--Thanks everyone!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

What a shame the deer eat your Yucca blooms before you can enjoy them! I have a hard enough time with our dogs running race tracks over & through all of my plants. Nothing is safe! I hoped this one would make it before they mow it down. =) So, for today...it is spared!

I forgot to say thanks for your Aeonium compliment. Much appreciated!

I only use Safari browser on my cell phone & it DOES mess with pix (some, not all). So I save photo viewing till I get on my laptop. I just now tried clicking on one of my thumbnails on my cell phone & it switches to a new page & shows larger pic. Don't know what to say...unless ALL who try to view here have the same prob. Maybe someone will chime in & let me know.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I woke up and looked out my window and saw a young buck looking at me and I went outside and 5 more stalks have been mowed down last night.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

I think Mara's not being able to embiggen your photos, Rosemarie, is probably related to her not being a Photobucket member. I can view them just fine, but the thumbnails do link to a larger view of of the images within the Photobucket Web site--rather than linking to the image only. If they linked to just the images, I think it might work for everyone?

As a test, I think this link might be viewable to everyone: {{gwi:539973}} And this one, within the PB site, I am anticipating is a no for a larger image...maybe...it'd be what a thumbnail code would link to. This.

What I hate about PB now is that when you're viewing an image through the site, like you are when you click one of Rosemarie's thumbnails, it doesn't give you the full-sized image. It's larger, but you have to click again to view a yet-larger version (and it'll be a slightly blurry pop-up of the picture), and then again for it to show you the full-sized original image. I feel it should give you the full image to begin with.

This post was edited by teatree on Sun, May 12, 13 at 12:18

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

My first reaction was "Oh, Yay!" (to see a deer-exciting to me)...then I realized it should be "Oh, NOoo!" So sorry they made a smorgasbord out of your plants, Mara. :'(

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Teatree , thanks for your efforts. Both links go to a image that measures 2 3/16ths X 1 5/8ths. Roro's measures the same. I guess the easiest thing would be to sign up but I don't like to sign up with things willy nilly. I guess they do embiggen a little , from 1 9/16th to 2 3/16ths.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Sun, May 12, 13 at 12:46

• paul_
    10 years ago

Some beautiful pix! Particularly liked middle row6 and middle row12 and the first & last of Mara's.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Oh, okay! Well, that effort sure flopped, haha. I guess both direct links and links within Photobucket don't work for non-PB users...but yet imbedding a directly linked PB image here works out (because that's what I always do when I post images). Well. Shoot. I understand not wanting to sign up to sites you won't use. However, the majority of people here do use PB, so it wouldn't be a totally illogical choice. If you don't do thumbnails, there's not really a problem, I guess.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Colleen, when I click on your links, they both go to large pix. Still, do not believe that one has to belong to PB to see the larger pix. I do know that they have one set size to view at first. Mine would not get much larger clicking on them, I don't think.

Because I post so many pix at once, I don't want to put larger ones within the post. Also, some folks are still on dial-up & it takes forever to load (though maybe less on dial-up now as in the past?).

Thanks, Paul! =)

It would be helpful if someone else who does NOT have a Photobucket account to chime in here, letting us know if you have a problem seeing larger pix once you click my thumbnails.

This post was edited by rosemariero on Mon, May 13, 13 at 11:24

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Going to test something here, to see if I can change the url given for thumbnails, so it will just show a photo--not taking you to my PB page. **Okay, it didn't work. :(

{{gwi:540050}}
    thumbnail...

should go to this sized pic:
    {{gwi:540052}}

Forgot to answer/mention, Colleen, that the old way of PB, they would link to just a photo & not the website. New way, image is within the PB page. Still, thought I had the clickable thumbnail thing worked out once I "linked back to album". Sigh! Thanks for trying...thanks for your help!

This post was edited by rosemariero on Sun, May 12, 13 at 15:13

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

"the old way of PB, they would link to just a photo & not the website. New way, image is within the PB page." Yes, and I fight that tooth and nail! Irks me. :)

I definitely understand why the thumbnails are necessary, why you do them. It's a great idea. Just would be nice if PB wasn't quirky with its newer updates. Just like I had to change the new PB settings so that my images wouldn't be randomized within the library...why would I want them not in order? Bizarre.

• plantman71
    10 years ago

rosemariero, I don't belong to pocketbook. I don't post pictures at all. When I click on your prints they get bigger as they should. Hope this helps. Tony

• cardiovascular
    10 years ago

Nice blooms everyone!

@rosemariero: What type of haw is the first photo of row 10? The stress color looks great!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yes, Colleen, I like the old ways. I have enough stuff to remember without having to change my ways every other month!! =) I saw that PB has a button to click about the order of pix in the albums. Lots of tweaks to deal with, I just clicked "newest first" to be done with it! Random is not my thing either! I also found that by doing this, a large group of pix is posting here in backward order of how I wanted. Argh! Good thing I didn't number them ahead of time! Guess I need to change that again.

Tony, thank you so much for that! Yes, it helps! At least I know it's not for all. Now, if we could just figure what variable makes it work for some & not others! (I'm guessing maybe you replied using your cell phone & it auto-corrected "photobucket" to "pocketbook". Hee hee!)

Movenpick, I also like the stressed look/color on that Haw. It is H. retusa var. suberecta. It has nice leaf-flecking. =)

• reggie
    10 years ago

This surprised me tonight. I little ray of sunshine.

{{gwi:540054}}

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Nice, surprise, Reggie! Rhombophyllum dolabriformis?

• reggie
    10 years ago

Yes, Rosemarie...a rhombophyllum. Not sure if it is nelii or dolabriformis. Either way ... it is a new plant that I just potted up recently. It's nice to know it's happy. :-)

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Nice! My Rhombos are blooming too.

Great photos, everyone! I love seeing all the cacti in bloom.

Ro, do you have an ID for that 1st Haw in Row-2?

I've had some nice flowers this month; Dracophilus, some Aloes, some Gasteria, Adromischus and Echeveria, the Pachys and Graptos, Glottiphyllum is starting in, Tacitus bellus is about to bloom and wouldn't you know... my camera is OOC after being savagely dropped by an idiot (me).

I do have this though...

Drosanthemum lavisii
    {{gwi:540056}}

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

dolariforme has 30mm + leaves and nelii 15-20mm

Nice - could be nelii.

I do love the Rhombophyllums - they are fairly tough too and less intensive in care, can take a water mishap. hehe

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Thanks, Regina! I see now Beachplants has given the correct spelling...thanks for that! I should know better than naming things off the top of my head these days! Hee hee! R. dolabriforme, I've seen for sale in the trade. Not so much for R. nelii. I must go out on a hunt to see if one of mine has survived my neglect! Please check measurements & let us know! =)

Ryan 1st Haw in 2nd row I bought tagged as H. mirabilis v. badia . It has more markings than ones I've seen in books. Of course, this one is sporting its "CA tan" at the moment. =)

LOVE the SUNBURST of that Drosanthemum! (And I figured out what OOC means! See if you know what OOF is--that I use for my home files, regarding pix.) My Tacitus bellus is in bud now too!

• nil13
    10 years ago

Here are some of mine.

{{gwi:540058}}
    Sansevieria cylindrica flower detail

{{gwi:540060}}
    Sansevieria cylindrica pot in flower

{{gwi:540062}}
    Cotyledon macrantha flower

{{gwi:540064}}
    Mammillaria cactus A flower. The mystery Mam cactus that came with the house.

{{gwi:540067}}
    Hoya multiflora 'Shooting Star' flower

{{gwi:540070}}
    Graptopetalum pentandrum superbum flower

This post was edited by nil13 on Wed, May 22, 13 at 21:17

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Nil, that shooting star flower is really cooooool.

Ro, thanks for that ID. That seems to be correct, not much info to find but seems close if anything:) I've been crossing it with all kinds of things, it being a very colorful breeding candidate.

• reggie
    10 years ago

Nil13, those are some awesome shots. Love the sans.

Did some measuring...according to what Rian says about length of the leaves, it is a R. dolabriforme! :-)

Came home to another delight. This one I jumped up and down for. Stoked!!!

Avonia
    {{gwi:540072}}

{{gwi:540078}}

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

Sulcorebutia heliosa var. condorensis.
    @ nil, isnt your mystery mam an echinopsis?

• nil13
    10 years ago

microthrix, I have no idea. I'm not a pokey person. some people thought mam when I first posted a pic, sans flower, of the mystery plant. So I went with that. Is that an echinopsis looking flower?

This post was edited by nil13 on Wed, May 22, 13 at 10:50

• calcat52
    10 years ago

WOW! Not having a lot of experience with cacti and succulents - I am blown away by the beauty of the flowers!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

That Avonia is absolutely perfect!I have never seen one so nice.

Nil13, if you look above in the thread there is a Mamm flower. Normally they are smaller flowers that bloom in between the lumps on the cactus in a halo formation. The halo can be sparse and indistinct or quite distinct.

Below is my newly IDed Parodia erubescens. I think she looks like Lisa Simpson.
    {{gwi:540082}}

{{gwi:540084}}

This post was edited by wantonamara on Wed, May 22, 13 at 12:28

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Woowee, Nil! All fantastic plants & blooms! I don't think your Cotyledon is 'Macrantha', though~but could be wrong. Mine has much wider leaves with red edge. On the last, I believe the name has been modified to Graptopetalum superbum.

What a fabulous surprise to come home to, Regina! I missed one bloom on mine (pink), but more are coming I hope to catch! Pretty!!

Great lil guy, Zeck!

Always love the Echinocereus, Mara. Thanks for the bloomers!

This lil guy opened up for me yesterday, Mamm herrerae

{{gwi:540086}}

• nil13
    10 years ago

wrt that graptopetalum, so it has, thanks. It has been corrected.

thanks for the compliments everyone.

• nil13
    10 years ago

I think you are right about the Cotyledon too roro. It was a bit of a guess on my part. It is in the DW bit of the collection and let's just say that her name recording habits are less vigorous than mine. You don't even want to know what she had it recorded as.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I CAUGHT it! ONE whole bloom!

Not quite happy with any shot, I give you several! Buds just showing a bit of color at 2, bloom at 5:30!
    Click for larger view

{{gwi:540088}} {{gwi:540090}}

{{gwi:540092}} {{gwi:540094}} {{gwi:540096}}

One larger, imbedded:

{{gwi:540098}}

I figured it out. In the past I would check around 1 or 2:00. Since I missed the one from last week (or a few days-not sure now) at that time, remembered to look out kitchen window when I feed the dogs, about 5 or so...Yay! So these guys like to bloom when I get busy in the late afternoon!

Nil, now you have me curious how your DW recorded that plant! :D

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Totally off topic, but a nice wildflower I found on a walk with my son the other day, a Columbine.

Christopher

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

O dear, we are off topic, doubly off. This Long Spurs Culumbine, was collected in a canyon in Arizona and lives in West Texas also. It is Semi xeric.
    {{gwi:540101}}

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

OooEee, yes, OT, but I don't mind!

I have never seen a long-spurred one like that, Mara.
    TFS, you two!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Here is my first bloom on my A. karasbergensis.
    {{gwi:540102}}

A Parodia leninghausii

{{gwi:540103}}

{{gwi:540104}}

Hesperaloe funifera bumping 10'

{{gwi:540106}}

• reggie
    10 years ago

Roro....Nice pink avonia!!! You finally caught it open. Looks like you have a bunch more just waiting for you to see burst open. Do post if you get more open.

mara...thanks for the kind comment on my avonia. I have mushed so many that I get really excited if one makes it to bloom. :-)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Sorry to bring this back to the top again, but had to make a correction.
    Ryan ~before you asked about the ID on a Haw and I answered with:

Ryan 1st Haw in 2nd row I bought tagged as H. mirabilis v. badia . It has more markings than ones I've seen in books. Of course, this one is sporting its "CA tan" at the moment. =)

{{gwi:539988}}

But, since Paul posted a pic of his, I now believe mine to be Haworthia emelyae. Maybe I'll get it in a new pot this week!

A late Thank You, Reggie, on my Avonia! I missed all the other blooms. Only 1 bud left now. :(

• PlatySnake
    10 years ago

Rosemariero -- Can you tell me the ID of the prickly in Row 2, middle picture? The beautiful beautiful pink one? Thank you so much!

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Well, if you mean the cactus in Row 3, it's Echinocereus rigidissimus v. rubrispinus.

• PlatySnake
    10 years ago

Rosemariero6 --

Thank you, yes, I meant that one. I was so excited I couldn't keep track of the row numbers. :) Definitely a beautiful cactus!

(I'm a newbie to owning succulents and cacti, and trying to keep track of the names of ones I really like so I can keep an eye out for them...)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

PS, not sure where you live, but if you have any cacti & succulent societies near you, that would be the place to find plants (you won't normally find in the big box stores). I started by making lists of the ones I wanted. The list went out the window when I saw *others* that became cart-jumpers. Good luck! =)