Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuy415

Please help .... Sickly looking !!!

chuy415
9 years ago

I bought this about a month ago or so and looks to be wrinkled. It gets about 5 hours morning sun and I've only watered a few times just a little. Could someone possibly give me advise? I greatly appreciate it

Chuy

Comments (8)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

If it isn't firm, I might say it's dead looking at the color.

• chuy415
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's pretty firm I'd say. :/

Chuy

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

It looks like it has wrinkled baggy skin....but if you put your finger against those wrinkles at the soil-line, it's firm/solid?

Josh

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

I believe that is Astrophytum asterias. Common names include Sand Dollar Cactus, Sea Urchin Cactus, Star Cactus and Star Peyote. It should be green not gray in color

Here is a link that might be useful: Astrophytum

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Sun, May 4, 14 at 13:19

• Dzitmoidonc
    9 years ago

Not an expert, but it might be dehydrated. Watering just a little is bad for life. When you water succulents, you should soak the soil and then let it get completely dry again before watering. Thinking that watering it a little bit every time Tuesday is an odd numbered day would be great if it were sunny and 74F every Monday, and the same temp and cloudiness happened at regular intervals. Plants are sort of like people, the environment can make them hungrier or thirstier sometimes. You know, like you eat more ice cream in July than you do in February.

Your plant looks sort of like an Astrophytum, maybe A. asterias (a name meaning star-plant star). If that is so, then from experience I can tell you that they need a good bit of water when they are growing. Wiggle the plant. If it comes out, it could be either the roots died or it has rotted from the inside. Although some cacti are brown, I agree with bikerdoc, the color looks suspicious. The soil also looks like it is high in organic matter. That will cause some cacti to lose their roots.

In closing, I would say that if this plant is dead, don't let this make you turn away from our spiny friends the cactus. Go get another one, maybe a Mammillaria. They tolerate a wider range of conditions for the most part. Success with those will encourage you to branch out to more finicky plants, and soon you will be a full blown cactus addict. Wiggle the plant and let us know what you find.

• chuy415
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your great input and experiences. I will keep positive and hope for the best ;)

Chuy

• chuy415
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update!!!!! Check him out??? Lookin healthy, right?
    Been watching it and watered a bit more due to the weather getting warmer ;)

Chuy

• teisa
    9 years ago

Wow! I am amazed how much improvement!! He is so cute too! I love it. TFS!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH