Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagardens

Score at lowes

chicagardens
9 years ago

Check out what I found today! Normally the clearance items are in uber poor condition. I can't believe this one is so healthy and was only .50. :)

Comments (40)

• eibren
    9 years ago

I'll bet one of the store workers brushed against it accidentally and decided it was time for it to go.

New spring stock and all.

:o)

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Eibren- I should find that employee and help :) hahaha

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Lowes and Home Depot have seriously had some very impressive plants this year. Less Haworthia here than usual but what they have had are larger rare stuff I haven't seen before. E. Horrida, Cereiformis, Polygona, Enoplia, in large $20 pots whereas they hardly ever had those in smaller pots in the past. Went earlier to get bird feed and found not one, not two, but THREE gorgeous Pachypodium in the larger pots. Had to have one as I love palm type plants. Hope they keep this up but if they do I will go broke!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Great find!
    I was there today and not a thing on the rack.., my luck! ROFL!!! I do have a beautiful Desert rose I rescued a few yrs back.

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Here's the Pachypodium I scored.
    {{gwi:540377}}
    {{gwi:540378}}
    {{gwi:540379}}

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Wow! That's a great plant! I guess I better look in at lowe's a little more often! It's just across the street from Wal mart.. so hey, I'm in the area already. ;-)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Yes, I too have found some great deals at Lowes on their clearance racks. Seems everyone is now looking. I have never seen a clearance price or clearance section at Home Depot. I think they have a agreement with the people who supply them to take them back. Their outside stock is discounted come fall. I had sales men discount store items that were damaged but never seen it in their plants. Has anyone else got a deal from them?
    Stush

• hijole
    9 years ago

Chicagardens, Boy you know how to score big time!

Sundewed, Nice I've never seen those pup like that 0r is it just multiple plants in one pot.

Greg

• hijole
    9 years ago

Stush, I've seen plants at H/D that were marked down, they were marked as plants needing TLC they weren't actually that bad either I think they had been over watered. But on a good note it was a basket with a variety of succulents and they all made a come back!
    How you been Stan?

Greg

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Hijole, I will confirm when I repot it but judging by wiggling they all appear to be pups and theres a circle of them all the way around. I'm quite pleased.

This post was edited by Sundewd on Mon, May 12, 14 at 16:21

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree that lowes has had some interesting stuff lately. I just got 2 new ones I've never seen. Maybe they're not that rare, but new to me since I've never seen them there or HD. We'll see how it goes, Iooked them up and they seem pretty delicate. Not sure how I'll do since I am still working on my black thumb. (:

• reggie
    9 years ago

I didn't get this for .50 but I did get it at Lowes this past weekend as a gift to myself. Ha :-)

Gasteraloe 'Green Ice'
    {{gwi:540380}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr shots

• danbonsai
    9 years ago

Sundewd,

Don't tell me you went out for another bag of soil? Hahaha!

Nice score!

Dan

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

That's cool!
    Was it clearance? I'm about to go shopping!!! LOL!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Greg,
    Sorry about your heat wave and fires you guys are going thru. Hope it is far away from your place. Next week all my Sans are going out. Just kicking them out of the house.
    Reggieee,
    Same with you about the fires. Hope all here is well.
    That aloe is really something. Does it have all those different markings from all green to all those patterns all from the same plant? Or is there several plants in one pot.
    Stush

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Lol. I just swung by to see if they had restocked. I have two Lowes and two Home Depot locations near me. So I switch off weekly to check them. I do often need soil though for whatever reason. This time I was just looking for something cool. Was definitely not a clearance item. :P

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Reggieee - wow, that is a packed little pot! nice score!!!!

Sundewd - very cool looking!!!!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

O.k. if it wasn't clearance, I don't feel like I'm missing out on too much right now. lol.. on a tight budget. lol..

Here's my clearance save from a few yrs back. It was 50 cents. In a pot with no drainage, about 4" tall. It's now in a 6" terracotta and has quadrupled in size.

JoJo

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Wow, I'm not an Adenium person, but I can see how nice this is -- cool score!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Thank you Karen!

I've enjoyed watching it grow over time!

• notolover
    9 years ago

Sundewd:

The brain looks interesting. The buds do look like possible Echinopsis flower buds. But it's hard to trust the labels some times

Hope it blooms so you can share. Great finds everyone!

• reggie
    9 years ago

Stush - Thank you for your concern about the fires. We have had 3 days of triple digit temps with wind. No fire by me but bad smoke filled air. Many fires are still burning. Prayers to those in the thick of it.

The gasteraloe is in a 6 inch pot with many different heads. I chose this one at Lowes because it had some heads that were the typical green with silver edge and others that were predominately all silver. I don't know if the silvery ones will change with time but I sure do like the look.

This shot you can see the silvery bits better.
    {{gwi:540383}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr shot

• hijole
    9 years ago

Chica, see what you started here? Lol.. Boy every one here here is in the buying mood that's great but I still haven't heard Ben Bernake or however you spell his name mention that stocks have gone up on cacti & succulents :)

Reggiee, nice find & colors on that aloe there, I'm with you on treating yourself , sometimes we just have to splurge...

Jojo, OMG..what a beauty I've seen those pop up recently at H/D, they have their own style for sure, looks nice.

Sundewed, I like the name, "The Brain" perfect! + he looks super intelligent :) I think I need one of those, the plant not a brain lol...

Stush, thanks for thinking about me but actually the only Fires around my home are my sticks of fire.
    The ones I know of closer to them is Rosemarie & Kathi but what I understand is there mostly affected by the Smoke.
    Well all you garden fanatics stay in the shade this weekend except for you stush you need to keep some Hot Coco & Coffee handy until at least a few more weeks.
    Glad to hear your finally gonna new able to set your plants outside, tourer such a good papa.

Greg

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greg- haha! I know right. Anytime I'm at lowes I stop by the clearance section...which happens a lot with home improvements :) Am wondering if I should post my most recent purchase. Hehe :)

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are 2 of the 4 I recently purchased. The 4 pack is a mix. Not all are the same nor what is on the label. The senecio radicans glauca is in good shape, I think it's a $3.98 pot so not bad for $1.37...such a random clearance price.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

That does it! I'm going to go warm up the truck! LOL!

Great finds!

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sedeveria sorrento hybrid and golden sedum. 1 wasn't marked with a price but did have the slash across the SKU so the cashier gave it to me for $1 too. I have golden sedum already and whats in that pot doesn't look like it, that's why I bought it. I hope I am right. Also check out all the babies in each pot. (:

This post was edited by chicagardens on Sat, May 17, 14 at 23:51

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Chicagardens,
    Thank you for giving me another excuse to go to Lowes. A few months ago I found a wilted pothos for $2.50 when I told the cashier it looked terrible she marked it down to $1.00. When I got it home I gave it a glass a water and it came back shiny and full. Gifted it to sis, now she's hooked!
    After Christmas I thought I got a deal when I purchased three 8" pots of named thanksgiving cactus for $2.50 each... that is until I found 8-10" pots of TC at WM for $0.02. Yes. 2 cents!! I never said how many I bought but let's say there are great gifts for everyone this year. That is if I can part with any.
    HD said they never mark down just return to the grower. We have however found lots of other great items on clearance.
    As for your Rhips, I too had bought one, it grows wild in this heat but in partial shade.
    Have fun.
    Karen

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow Karen! .02! I don't generally shop at walmart. The closest one is kinda scary...hehe. But I might be willing to make the drive to the one just a little further out. I wonder how often they mark them down.

BY THE WAY, I totally forgot I also got this little one. Its in pretty good shape. I already have this one, but for .50...it's coming home with me. (:

All these recounts have me planning a coffee run w/a drive by to lowes and walmart tomorrow. (:

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

My coffee is ready to go in a travel mug!!! I need to find jeans today and wal mart and good will are just across the street from lowe's! Now how is that for convenient? hehehe...

JoJo

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

I actually got a small pot of Crassula Ovata Variegata free from Home Depot. No, I did not steal it. :P When I got to the register we realized it had no tag or price. So she said, "guess that's your freebie for today." :D

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Total score sundewd! Nice!

Nothing to report from my lowes trip today. Lots of stuff on clearance, but no succulents or cacti to speak of. Oh well! Next time!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Gosh my day at lowe's wasn't what I hoped either chicagardens. Sigh.. No cactus/succulents on clearance, wasn't on mother's day either.. but I refused to come home empty handed! ROFL! Found a great Succulent for $1.98 close enough to clearance for me. lol.. now to figure out what it is. Label says 2 things, and not a whole lot of info for either. Plus I got a huge daisy for $1. It was clearance! LOL! :-)

pot says Crassula congesta and in description it says Crassula conjuncta so I may post it separate in it's own thread to see what I can find out. It's fuzzy! I love it ! oh and it had a hitch hiker. lol...

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

For grins and giggles.. this was clearance for $1 ! they had a whole rack!

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I got this snowflake cacti for $1.50 in a 1.5 quart pot at a BBS a while back, sooo beautiful Ask me, I'd say everyone here for a steal, there all beautiful!

• gardnlvr50
    9 years ago

I love the Lowe's clearance rack. I go there once a week, usually on Wednesdays (Thursday is the start of the sale week) and score some really great finds. They have a $1, $3 and $5 rack, with the $5 mostly larger plants. I got two huge hanging baskets this year for $3 each. I guess they just overstock and then neglect them. It usually only takes a week or two of TLC for me to get the plants looking fabulous. I've seen succulents clearanced in years past but none so far this year. I'll be keeping an eye out.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

god everytime I scroll down this form and see that big white cacti (snowflake eurphobia) I got... I just gotta go outside and start counting my plants to see if I can possible make anymore room for more plants, as much as id like to go to the stores to shop I don't drive and it would be just torture to walk home in the rain like we got TODAY outta nowhere I may add. plus I'm usually stuck in the house working till 2am anyways - I wish it was easier to be able to get pulled away for some much needed plant shopping again soon!!

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kittiekat that white cactus is so freaking cool! What's bbs?

I went to lowes a few weeks ago and they didn't have much in terms of clearance sale for individual plants, but they did have arrangements. I passed on them though, they had about 10 of them. Not bad really, 12.98.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I was there today.. no clearance. :-(

I think BBS is Big Box Stores..
    Lowe's
    Wal mart
    Home Depot...