Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rerooting in ... cat litter ?

Posted by Microthrix none (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 1:40

As i searched the web for tips on rerooting i found that some people use cat litter! Does anyone have experience with this? If so tell me how it went ... and if so what type of cat litter? ... i have some things that need rerooting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rerooting in ... cat litter ?

I rather you use dry stall, that is used in horse stables, cat littler may be okay if you can find the non-clumping or add a lot of pumice to it, or coarse washed construction sand. The water must drain rapidly, you don't use any thing that retains water any length of time. You never said what kind of plants you are talking about, what kind of pots you use. Are they sun or shade plants, do you want to know what the professionals use for cactus and succulents/ which ones? it is not cut and dry as you might think.It's also a seasonal thing some plants are watered in the winter other only in the summer months. Please tell the group what plants you are growing. It makes a difference Norma

o

O_o im trying to reroot a myrtillocactus an echinopsis a melocactus (already has cephalium ...) and a few random succulents (nothing special) i usually just reroot in plastic pots

o

Micro, I found cat litter breaks down too fast. I use oil dry from the auto store. Have found it to work as rooting medium and to use instead of turface, which I con't find here. Happy gardening, Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here