Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

" Amending The soil in the Ground "

hijole
9 years ago

Ok I know at first this might sound like a silly question but I'm serious, really. My question is how deep do we need to dig and then add cacti & succulent mix and should we add Perlite into the ground also? I don't want to over do it or spend & waste it if its not necessary.

Thank you for the replies because I've never used any cactus mix in the ground other than mix gravel and a little compost but I'm starting to get more serious about the care and how they'll be healthier with better soil.

Greg

Comments (7)

• nil13
    9 years ago

You need to tell us more about what you are starting with. Have you done the jar test for soil structure?

I wouldn't use cactus mix. I would use bulk pumice or scoria for drainage and maybe coarse sand. It depends on what you soil structure starting point is and where you need to take it.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nil 13, Well thank you for kicking this off, I can't really say enough about my soil because I don't know to much about it other than it's old dirt and very hard just to give you an idea I plant some Coco palm trees about 30 years ago and the trees (some of them ) have not grown more than two (2) ft. high hows that for bad dirt?

On the other hand in other areas I have planted some that have grown from seeds and they have grown 30 ft. high.

Now back to Cacti & Succulents, I just want to plant the typical ones Echeveria's, Sedums, simular to the ones I've placed in other pictures. and I will also plant some more Dudleya Hassei as a pathway border.

Thanks for the help, Greg

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Poor soil is what they have in nature anyway, just depends on if you have clay or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: do the jar test to determine soil type

• nil13
    9 years ago

Do that jar test and get back to us. It is also a good idea to have a soil test done by a lab just to get a baseline chemical analysis. That should run you between $20-60. UMASS is pretty inexpensive but their test isn't optimized for our western soil. I still use them all the time though.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK Guy's I was looking for an EASY solutions YES amend the soil or NO it's Not neccesary. Lol... My dirt is old and it'spacked & hard. I will just and the mixes that I add to my potted plants and see how that works I don't think it could hurt as long as it drains well.

Thanks though I appreciate the comments,

Greg

• nil13
    9 years ago

We can't give you easy solutions unless you do the jar test. 'Old, packed and hard,' doesn't really tell us enough.

Adding old container media is fine though.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nil13, 0ld media is a very good idea, I can do that and still sleep good at night,, change my potting soil dump the old into the ground and amend the ground soil. Now everyones happy. Very Simple but helpful.

Thanks again nil13, Greg

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm