Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hummel jade flimsy

Posted by heczo101 none (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 2:11

Hi, my hummel jade is in shape of a prebonsai. Today I noticed that it has become flimsy, the leafs are too heavy for the branch to support. does anyone have any tips on how to make the branches thicker? or maybe I am underwatering? I water about once a month really well. Im quite confused, I have a regular jade which is not as fuzzy as this one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hummel jade flimsy

Photos always help. But if it is fuzzy, it is not a jade, Crassula ovata.

Christopher.

o

As Christopher has said, pictures of your plants would be extremely helpful. I reserve comments but if the stems are bending down and it isn't a water issue but a weight problem and you may have to whack it back. I'm a big fan of surgery!

o

Yep, post a pic.
Could be that it's not getting enough light...and is over-extending itself.
Watering once a month sounds like a strategy of dealing with a potting mix that stays wet for too long. In a proper mix, you should be watering every 1 - 2 weeks. That'll make for a more vital and happy plant.

A trim most certainly might be in order :-)

Josh

o

Hello Heczo101,

A picture would help members give you a better suggestion on what you are asking, but without a picture I can give you some general help along with what others have said.

One thing you can do is take a step back and look at the plant. Are there any particular branches that are fuller and extend out farther than others? Jade leaves can become heavy because they are filled with water so if you have one branch that is very full and extended it can pull the plant to one side. Trimming leaves and/or branches to make the plant symmetrical on either side can help eliminate this problem.

There are also other options of repotting the plant and putting it deeper in the pot if you don't want to do any trimming; however, trimming up your plant would be your best bet.

Good luck and if you want a better explanation what to do with your specific plant, post a picture and you will get a better answer to your questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here