Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
microthrix

jurupa valley C/S show purchases and a few ids

Microthrix
11 years ago

so i went to the Jurupa valley cactus and succulent show and picked alot of things, heres a few...heres a monodenium {{gwi:540944}} a (monstrose?)discocactus zehntneri

{{gwi:540947}}

a mammillaria "fred" what does this consist of ?

{{gwi:540950}}

heres a tephrocactus (was looking for one for a while)

{{gwi:540953}}

a euphorbia milli , surprisingly i never had one , but anted one

{{gwi:540957}}

some kind of variegated aloe (specific kind?)

{{gwi:540960}}

i always see these winning competions , what kind of aloe is it ?

{{gwi:540964}}

crested huernia (yaaaayyyy!)

{{gwi:540968}}

another asclepiad (huernia?)i couldnt resist it !so cool what kind is it ?

{{gwi:540971}}

heres the ids

mystery euphorbia

{{gwi:540974}}

the guy had this in a pot with no hole and in possibly the worst soil ever (seems like dirt dug up from backyard) it had the teeniest bit of rot but i cut it off ... i thought it was a euphorbia but i did not bleed when i cut it

{{gwi:540977}}

Comments (13)

• Arid
    11 years ago

Nice finds Microflix! I really like your clump of Mammillaria "Fred." You have an eye for unusual shapes and colors! A couple of possible ID's for you: The variegated aloe looks like A. nobilis variegata; the next aloe, A. suprafoliata; and the plant in the last photo, Senecio articulatus.

• Microthrix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I really wanted a fred for quite some time ... is the senecio easy to reroot?

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Agree with arid on ids, you will have to wait and see for the flower on the huernia id. Maybe protect the aloes a little if you transplanted..my suprafoliata is really struggling with humidity and sun in summer, nearly lost it twice...

some really nice finds.

• hijole
    11 years ago

Wow sure looks like you scored big time micro, was it last Saturday?

I worked if so, looks like you had a blast while you were there cuz you picked up some beauties for sure.

Greg

• snowdogmama
    11 years ago

Those are really cool! I love distorted shapes and variegation.

• Microthrix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The huernia has 4 small flowers emerging so its gonna be soon! And does anyone know if crested succulents still flower? Yup it was last saturday

• Arid
    11 years ago

Micro, the senecio roots very easily. In fact, you might notice they tend to break at the "joints." This is a hint as to how quickly it reproduces. Lay the cuttings on top of dry soil, or plant them upright. Soon enough, they will root. I have lots and lots of these plants growing all over my shade garden. They seem to like bright shade to part sun where I live.

• jeepman69
    11 years ago

Zeck,

Very nice finds! That asclepiad really looks like a Orbea (to me), of some sort, but as mentioned you will not really know until you can get it to bloom.

Love that crested and I notice a couple of little pots off to the right that look familar. : )

I have never seen Senecio articulatus, looks like I will have to look for one now.

Glenn

• Microthrix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah about the asclepiad o_o after i took it out of the bad soil i put it in my soil and waited for its roots to set in (i didnt water )and they kinda died and i really dont even know what happened ... it kinda got a yellow crust on the bottom ... so i just took it apart and put root hormone on ... weird ... yay! The little plant! I angled the pic so maybe you could get a peek at them :P they are doing very nice :) after someone gave the id for the senecio i looked it up on the internet and found out it had leaves! I cant wait! Maybe if i had them earlier we could have traded those

• jeepman69
    11 years ago

Sorry about the asclepiad, that was quick! Wish I could tell you what went wrong. I did a search also and was suprised to see the leaves too!

My little ones are doing well too! I will try to get some pictures of them soon.

Glenn

• pennyhal
    11 years ago

Great haul! Love the crested huernia. Did you spend all your birthday money?

• Microthrix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No that was cactus show money :P i still have full birthday money :D im kinda spoiled i guess ...

• pennyhal
    11 years ago

That's good! You can start looking around and see if there is something special you want to add to your collection!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner