Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jurupa valley C/S show purchases and a few ids

Posted by Microthrix southern california (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 2:24

so i went to the Jurupa valley cactus and succulent show and picked alot of things, heres a few...heres a monodenium Photobucket a (monstrose?)discocactus zehntneri

Photobucket
a mammillaria "fred" what does this consist of ?
Photobucket
heres a tephrocactus (was looking for one for a while)
Photobucket
a euphorbia milli , surprisingly i never had one , but anted one
Photobucket
some kind of variegated aloe (specific kind?)
Photobucket
i always see these winning competions , what kind of aloe is it ?
Photobucket
crested huernia (yaaaayyyy!)
Photobucket
another asclepiad (huernia?)i couldnt resist it !so cool what kind is it ?
Photobucket
. heres the ids
mystery euphorbia
Photobucket
the guy had this in a pot with no hole and in possibly the worst soil ever (seems like dirt dug up from backyard) it had the teeniest bit of rot but i cut it off ... i thought it was a euphorbia but i did not bleed when i cut it
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jurupa valley C/S show purchases and a few ids

• Posted by Arid none (My Page) on
    Wed, May 23, 12 at 2:44

Nice finds Microflix! I really like your clump of Mammillaria "Fred." You have an eye for unusual shapes and colors! A couple of possible ID's for you: The variegated aloe looks like A. nobilis variegata; the next aloe, A. suprafoliata; and the plant in the last photo, Senecio articulatus.

o

Thanks! I really wanted a fred for quite some time ... is the senecio easy to reroot?

o

Agree with arid on ids, you will have to wait and see for the flower on the huernia id. Maybe protect the aloes a little if you transplanted..my suprafoliata is really struggling with humidity and sun in summer, nearly lost it twice...

some really nice finds.

o

Wow sure looks like you scored big time micro, was it last Saturday?

I worked if so, looks like you had a blast while you were there cuz you picked up some beauties for sure.

Greg

o

Those are really cool! I love distorted shapes and variegation.

o

The huernia has 4 small flowers emerging so its gonna be soon! And does anyone know if crested succulents still flower? Yup it was last saturday

o

• Posted by Arid none (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 14:08

Micro, the senecio roots very easily. In fact, you might notice they tend to break at the "joints." This is a hint as to how quickly it reproduces. Lay the cuttings on top of dry soil, or plant them upright. Soon enough, they will root. I have lots and lots of these plants growing all over my shade garden. They seem to like bright shade to part sun where I live.

o

Zeck,

Very nice finds! That asclepiad really looks like a Orbea (to me), of some sort, but as mentioned you will not really know until you can get it to bloom.

Love that crested and I notice a couple of little pots off to the right that look familar. : )

I have never seen Senecio articulatus, looks like I will have to look for one now.

Glenn

o

Yeah about the asclepiad o_o after i took it out of the bad soil i put it in my soil and waited for its roots to set in (i didnt water )and they kinda died and i really dont even know what happened ... it kinda got a yellow crust on the bottom ... so i just took it apart and put root hormone on ... weird ... yay! The little plant! I angled the pic so maybe you could get a peek at them :P they are doing very nice :) after someone gave the id for the senecio i looked it up on the internet and found out it had leaves! I cant wait! Maybe if i had them earlier we could have traded those

o

Sorry about the asclepiad, that was quick! Wish I could tell you what went wrong. I did a search also and was suprised to see the leaves too!

My little ones are doing well too! I will try to get some pictures of them soon.

Glenn

o

Great haul! Love the crested huernia. Did you spend all your birthday money?

o

No that was cactus show money :P i still have full birthday money :D im kinda spoiled i guess ...

o

That's good! You can start looking around and see if there is something special you want to add to your collection!

o

That's good! You can start looking around and see if there is something special you want to add to your collection!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here