Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
microthrix

A bad year for cacti...

Microthrix
9 years ago

This is just an update on my status incase anyone was wondering!
This year for my cacti and succulents has been particularly bad... After a mild winter rarely going under 40, i though this year was going to be a great year for growing cacti. boy, i was wrong. After having a maybe one week spring, temps shot up to around 100-105 and severely burnt many fresh-out-the-greenhouse plants, even killing some. Ever since march its been above 95 and about every week i find another unexpected dead plant. Im tying hard to make a nicely shaded area but unfortunately its a bit too late for that. And on top of that i have been in all of my schools drama productions so i havent had time to go out and check on plants. Its all a bunch of stress and im overwhelmed. The rest of the plants are alive and ok, but nothing has grown much at all.
Hope everyone elses plants are all alive, ok, and thriving! Have a good growing year everyone!
-Zeck

Comments (6)

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Aaaaw, I'm sorry to hear about your loss of plants. Here in Cali we had a 100ú heatwave and I had to move plants, including cactus under heavy shade for most of the day and misting everything else. I know the mad scramble sudden heat waves bring on.

Cactus and succulents have pretty good regenerative powers, tho. I found the biggest factor is keeping the pots watered in dry hot conditions. Keep up with this, on the batch you have left and they'll probably catch up. Might be awhile before they recover, but they can. Hopefully you have some bits left, leaves that you can start up from some of the plants hit the worst.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your tough weather spell. I have been there, just not right now. 2011 I was in a movie and working outside and it was May 10 and 112 and the temps never went below 100 all summer long.

Our lives get really busy and our plants go to hell. Keeping things in balance is often a painful process of reduction of our obsessive hobbies. Sometimes I think aberrant weather events help me with this process of reduction when I am un able to do all by myself. I am recovering from a massive winter kill off of beloved agaves and I am seriously not replacing anything that died. My porch looks better with less clutter, or that is what I am telling myself. My husband is silently overjoyed. I am making olas to put in the ground out of the extra pots to give me some irrigation. Summer deadlines are murder on my seedlings. It hurts to loose things that we are attached to. I sure don't want those deadlines to disappear. It sounds like your life is full and that is a great thing to hear. We miss your input around here.
    -mara

• volcanonerd
    9 years ago

Just this weekend I almost lost my lithops to overwatering because there was a freak severe thunderstorm spell here in New Mexico. Gotta love the weather!!! It's either too hot or it's pouring buckets.

• hijole
    9 years ago

Zeck, Boy! Right when you think its spring and your all excited because of all the great things that come along with it, here comes a few heat spells in the 100's and dry heat at that.
    I just realized I kinda had the same experience with some of my echeverias too, they took in to much heat to soon and never got a chance to adjust to the heat and now have those nasty rust looking blemishes on the leafs.
    The good thing is your young and your plants will make a come back & time is on your side + you have a greenhouse that will help you out immensely and with your experience with these plants you'll have them in top shelf condition in I'm no time I'm sure. Good luck kid.

Alot of good advice already attached to this post too so hope you make a quick recovery and it sure was good to hear your voice in the garden again zeck.

Greg

• Microthrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input guys! we have been a bit cooler around here lately. in the high 80's-mid 90's, so i think everything should be fine. Also, i think now the surviving plants have completely acclimated to the though sun, as yellowing seems to be dissipating.
    And, in good news, some of the burnt crusty cacti have a bit of green popping through. Its a bit late, but im fine with any growth as of now. Although im still wondering what some of the columners will do now that their growth points have burnt away. (a saguaro mainly, they dont branch for maybe 40 years)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

My cactus seemed to do fine with the harsh Texas sun and high temps. Some wanted more shade than others.