Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norma_2006

'Jades'

norma_2006
10 years ago

For those of you that grow that speces, there are 67 pages listed. You should look at them first before asking a 'Jade' question.
There is enough on there you should put it together and write a book. Try it and see what you find. Put it together and trade the booklet for a "Jade" form that you don't have. I think you will get a lot of offers. Norma

Comments (57)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yes, sage advice. If you don't like Jades, then don't answer the posts.

I'd say the same to anyone: if you don't like Aloes, Kalanchoes, Echinopsis, Crassula, or anything else, then simply don't respond.

This is nothing new. Norma makes uncalled for posts like this about Crassula ovata quite often, usually telling us how long she's grown them, how many varieties she grows, how many she's given away, and how boring they are to her now. You're lucky, Little Lithop, you got the abbreviated version of this tired, repetitive gripe.

Josh

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I agree with Josh...if you don't like Jades and are sick of all the post/questions/pictures...PLEASE do NOT click on that thread...ignore them and move on to the next one you're interested in. That is what I do if I don't like a specific plant or post.

This is after all a Cacti and Succulent Forum...people should be able to ask and post questions about them...even though its probably asked before.

I personally do NOT like Cactus (except TC, CC and EC's). I don't like cactus with 'thorns' on them...that just me, so I do NOT click on those post...I ignore them! I do not click on them and complain or gripe about how annoying the questions are...every one has their favorites and dislikes. Its what makes this site so FUN!!

Live and let live...enjoy the Forum and be kind to our members! We have a wonderful group here. Let's keep it that way...PEACE :o)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

So it's OK to not bother searching when suggested to do so? Wow, that's some serious lazy. OK, you can help yourself.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Well, I would hope that when I'm in my 80s, if still up for things like posting here & still doing things which folks 20 yrs. younger don't even try, I'd hope some folks might cut me some slack.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I see both sides of the issue here. Norma's ideas of a jade booklet and a separate jade forum are good ones. I had long wondered why there is not a Jade Forum, as so many of the posts here are about Crassula ovata. And I can see how some people find it tiring to see the same questions on jades posted over and over.

BUT this forum should be about ENJOYMENT of our mutual plant passion. This forum is open to all regardless of experience, to ask or share as they choose.

If we just want the basic information, we can do a Google search, and there would be no real need for this forum to exist. But we choose to be part of this community, to interact with like minds. I for one, don't mind seeing a jade question asked over and over, for really every case is unique to some extent.

I am on this forum because it is a pleasant experience. IF it is to continue as such, we ALL need to cut each other some slack.

Christopher

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

We need more Jade threads, punctuated by more christmas cactus threads. Thank you for your support. :-)

I've always felt indoor and outdoor should have separate sections -- lots of information relevant to one is dead wrong for the other.

Anyway, carry on! It's all just water off a duck's back.

10 years ago

Christopher is right...each and every case is unique, and it takes a discussion to find out how a plant is being grown in order to offer the best advice possible.

Josh

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Cactuscharris, you have NO right to call people lazy. People have the divine right to post what they want as long as it is not innapropiate

Remember..........................

If you dont like what is posted......... IGNORE IT!!!!!!!!

I might be young, but I am also a very smart honors student

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

"I personally do NOT like Cactus (except TC, CC and EC's). I don't like cactus with 'thorns' on them...that just me, so I do NOT click on those post...I ignore them! I do not click on them and complain or gripe about how annoying the questions are...every one has their favorites and dislikes. Its what makes this site so FUN!!

Live and let live...enjoy the Forum and be kind to our members! We have a wonderful group here. Let's keep it that way...PEACE :o)"

words of wisdom puglvr

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

TG,

Pls. consider calming down a bit, you're digging yourself a big hole, making it less likely to get help when you come demanding some as you often have & do.

Lest anyone think I'm being unduly harsh, I have taken the time & energy to explain some of this privately to TG repeatedly.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Unlike in the kalanchoe post, I am very calm. I am simply saying norma does not have the right to make people feel bad just because they need help with there jade. And I also was saying that cactuscharris shouldnt call people lazy. I am not digging myself "a hole". I personally think other people agree with me. I am not acting like a baby,brat, arrogant, etc.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Sheesh! No need for yelling. Wait, let me try... IS THIS LOUD ENOUGH?

I think the point here has been sorely misinterpreted. Norma's request was simply that people do a little research before asking a question that has been asked and answered repeatedly and thoroughly. Many of the most knowledgeable have already taken their time elaborating on certain subjects, sometimes repeatedly, until they cannot bear to do it again. We all know how readily available these wonderful and elaborate answers are, just a search away. It's the same with questions about "gritty mix", a topic run so far into the ground, it's now a biproduct of frakking.

I don't think anyone told anyone else what to do, or what not to, so everybody put you freedom-fries away... ketchup too. It was a suggestion. Nobody said, "tired of all these jade threads" or however your mind translated it.

A simple search of this site WILL yield enough info on 'Jades' to fill a book. One seeking knowledge would start there. One seeking attention or simply unaware of the search bar would not. Aren't we lucky that our dear Norma has taken the time to clarify this?

Furthermore, I will read what I want to read, post what I want to post, and nobody's influence can affect that. I make ALL of my own decisions and so do you.

• LittleLithop
    10 years ago

My response was not intended to start a riot although I did post a bit defensively. I guess I am more frustrated with people assuming you haven't already done the research or giving snarky responses to innocent questions. I have been lucky so far to get gracious help but have also been left hanging when I try to ask, say, a less 'researched' question. I see people asking for id's all the time and they are often given fast and happy responses when I am sure the same species has been id'd many, many times before. No one is telling these posters to go thru every page to find what they are looking for, it would be practically impossible. I'm not an expert not do I feel entitled to a response if no one wants to give it. There are few true 'experts' in anything in this world, every situation is different. That's why forums like this exist. I could post about my child, cat, neighbor or shoe and as long as its somewhat relevant or even not, depending on the climate of the forum I would get various responses. I just don't think it's beneficial to anyone to tell people not to ask questions then in a grandma way tell them before they do anything to get theirs and others $hit together to write a book and trade species for it. If I wanted/could write that book I would trade money for it on amazon. It is a smart idea, but it's not for everyone. I will say the first writer on the forum who can get past the copywrites and has the time to write a book on jades regarding what has been discussed here should because there is obviously a need for it. I like reading, and believe me I have spent many hours reading here and else where on this website. You simply can not know everything there is to know and people who think they do have a lot to learn.

10 years ago

This thread is hilarious. Truly.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

We have these volcanic eruptions periodically through the years. Hey, we get to show our thorns and act like our pets. I think its a bit endearing.

10 years ago

I haven't been here long enough to participate in this drama, though I will say I enjoyed the OP and most that followed. :-)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I feel like I am always locked on argument on gardenweb. I love all the members here......................

EVEN THE ONES THAT GET ON MY NERVES :-)

This post was edited by teengardener1888 on Tue, May 7, 13 at 14:35

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Dont worry germanstar, It is not that bad

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    10 years ago

If you think this is arguing, you should have been here in 2001 ! Some of you would have got to Disney for free :)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I wish there was a Jade forum. Then Jade lovers could all be there together.

10 years ago

I've just sent a note off to GW management, suggesting that the Sansevieria Forum be expanded to the Sansevieria and Jade Plant Forum. Both are very popular indoor succulents with substantial overlap, I actually grow several Sansevierias outdoors myself. I suspect management gets many requests of this nature and acts in accordance with few, so I don't expect anything to come of it.

10 years ago

Just received an official response:

GermanStar,

Thanks for the suggestion! I would suggest floating it out to the folks on both forums and see if others might agree. If there is enough interest, we can make the change.

Sincerely,

GardenWeb Staff

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Why not have a topic about how to waste forum posting space, it too can have it's own TOS and GW guide geeeesh

To many times in the past the idea and views of Jades have been posted in favor and protest on this portion of the GW forum.
    It hasn't left the cacti and succulent forum yet guys and again some of you still find the time to waste keyboard strokes ?
    Some still seem to not want to talk about jades unless it's to protest them in one form or another.
    Not found in here is one way that certainly might help a person to grow a JADE.
    GET OVER YOURSELF ALREADY most everybody already knows that personal thoughts, Jades, Sansevieria or what ever kind of plant it is have ZERO in common for better productive growing.

10 years ago

Howdy, Hanz!
    You might not have seen the Threads or comments previously, but I assure you that somebody in particular has on many occasions said that very thing: 'Nobody said, "tired of all these jade threads" or however your mind translated it.' Over the past five years, this disdain for Jades and Jade Threads has been voiced often.

Josh

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

GermanStar,
    Stay off my Sans site. Keep it just Sans. Please take no offence by that statement. I used to think Jades are boring until Mike and Josh showed off their Jades. So guess what. I now have about 10 different Jades to my collection and have asked them for some. So you never know. I also skip a lot of forums that don't interest me.
    Stush
    PS I love all of you. Thanks Norma

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

So, if I understand all this correctly, when it comes to jades, people may get militant if you ask a general question regarding a private issue causing major angst. Especially if there is a dereliction of duty when it comes to recon as this may cause some to go ballistic. Such flak has even resulted in a proposed war plan to divide the troops into the innies and the outies, though that strikes me as a navel maneuver.

I suggest a cease fire, take a bit of R&R ASAP and enjoy the C&S.

tj

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

If GW is watching this thread, pls. do not add Jades to the Sans Forum. Unrelated plants, dissimilar growing habits; would make a real mess, pls. do not do this.

It's a terrible idea!!

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I would really like to say to the Anti Jadeites on this forum, get over it, jades are here to stay. And lumping Jades with Sans, well, sort of like apples and oranges. Makes no sense to me, don't get the reasoning behind it, other than maybe to get the pesky jade lovers to go to another forum? Not gonna happen! :)

And it seems to me there are some on this forum who think they are the Illuminati of succulents, seeing those who grow plants like jades as the hoi polloi. Total and utter pretentiousness I abhor.

Christopher

This post was edited by kaktuskris on Tue, May 7, 13 at 22:25

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

LOL. It is a civil war... I mean un uncivil war . Will all crassulas be given the boot, or ethnically cleansed? cotlydons? First they came for the adenioumd, Then they came for the Sans, then they came for you. We will have lonely ghettos for each family. I think that Jades could have enough traffic to hold their own form if it came to that. But there are all sorts of devisions , like the devision between indoor and out door cactus growing. The colector versus the desiger of spaces versus the botanist. Some of us do both dancing that line of marginality. I don't know if constant dividing and slicing away areas of interests serves the large purpose in the long end but then I can see sectioning as a pluss also. I am not a fan of jades, I only like them large and outdoors so I can't grow them the way I like them. But I do catch an occasional thread that looks enticing. I guess that would stop unless I did go and look Jades up purposely. I really do exercise my choice by not reading aboutt plants I do not have.

The list of forums is full of very untraveled dead forums. that is the danger of to much devision. Don't drink and devide or derive.

10 years ago

The reasoning is that they're both succulent houseplants that require similar care and probably attract a very similar crowd. As opposed to those growing Aloe trees, 6' Agaves, giant Euphorbias and columnar cacti. Indoor vs. outdoor. Don't mind me, everyone seems to agree it's a bad idea, and it makes no difference to me, I was just trying to help. BTW, I was surprised to see Sansevieria had it's own sleepy little section; it gets far less activity than Jade gets here.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

The Sans Forum was a slow, almost inactive forum for a long time. It's only pretty recent that there's been much activity; I'd hate to have anything disrupt it.

10 years ago

A fair point. And since you obviously contribute there, yours is the opinion that matters.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Well, I knew eventually I was going to say something..lol. well ask.

Germanstar, what makes you think that Jades and Sans require similar care?
    It just so happens that I killed all but one of mine caring for them exactly the way I do my Jades but have yet to loose a Jade. Just curious..If it were that easy, all my Sans would still be alive. Maybe they are dead because I did not take advantage of the dedicated forum for Sans?

By the way, there is a couple of my friends here that I owe Jades too, please remind me, and a few I have not seen in a while. I hope you are all ok and in particular, Karen, I hope since the storm you endured you have been ok.
    Stush I owe you:-)

Mike

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Hey, Josh!

Now, you know I'm a Jade lover, right? I have my own little ovata cultivar forest, and a very nice big one in the front yard... just like every other house on my block:) I'm also not for splitting up the forum any further. and I do recall unpleasant attitudes in the past but hey, you know? That was then.

GS is right, this whole thing has been comical from the start.

Mara, your comment about us showing our thorns and acting like our pets was wonderful. Endearing is right. Thanks for bringing warmth to this situation.

teenG, oh, what do I say? So many things... too funny, I can't. You just keep being yourself:)

Also, when I said "seeking attention", I didn't mean it negatively. We're all here seeking each other's attention.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Mike, was just going to email you to give your input on this, and then I saw your post...

Christopher.

10 years ago

meyermike_1micha: I said similar, not identical. Didn't I? But really, stick 'em in a window and water once per week. They'll both be fine. I must say, generally speaking, Sansevierias are really hard to kill, as long as they stay indoors. I've not heard of a prior case of mass Sansevieriacide. I have a few indoors and several more outside. I've had some survive high teens F, so some are not as tender as reported. And while most will thrive in a west or south facing window, they don't take kindly to too much unfiltered sun.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I agree that the sans forum shouldnt be a jade and sans forum. pirate is right. I believe there should be a crassula forum, for all crassulas including ovata

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Thanks Germanstar....
    I had them all in my basement and it just to cool down there combined with watering. My jades actually thrived in those conditions and actually wanted more water...I just don't know, but was very discouraged..

I shall have to try again but this time grow them in a much warmer room and ask some Sans pro for a better way of growing in my conditions....

Hello Chris...Thanks pal!

Mike

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I believe that jades and sans have different requirements.

• teisa
    10 years ago

TG I just want to say that I'm thankful for having such young "opinions" here on GW. I hope my daughter grows up just like you. Sometimes you allow us "old folks" to see things through your adolescent eyes!! I enjoy that!! Just keep the posts coming :)

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

I think jades will be good separate, but def not with sansi.
    a lot of jade posts are about pruning and shaping, some are bonsai, lots of outdoors too. main growing season - cool and sunny. CA great for them.
    while sansi are about pups, division, lots more varieties, variegation. for outdoors they could be grown as tropical dry/wet season plants. which is totally different from jades . florida is heaven.

so why together? makes no sense to me.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I agree

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Germanstar,
    I have grown sans for over 40 sum years and learned mostly from the last few years on Garden Web. This past winter I had a massive winter kill. Very strange for me. I never had this before and hope to never again. I sprayed and sprayed and dug out of pots only to see all rot to nothing. Well it is over now and I see new growth starting and most of my expensive ones survived untouched. If I was a newbe, I might have called it quits.

As far as the Sans being slow. I read every post. I don't add to them when they get excelent advice from some one else. We had some very big growers and I would call experts on our forum and for some reason don't come back. I think if it was too fast would draw them away just the same. I hope they read in just like I do sometimes.

Mike,
    Hope all is well with you and your mother. And you owe me nothing. You are a great guy who gives generously so you deserve to receive the same. The yellow Zanado just didn't do anything all winter long. At least it didn't get sick like my sans did. Still have you down for one. Also thanks for getting me hooked on Jades.

Stush

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Norma instead of telling people what they can or can not talk about or ask for guidance for on the GW forums, why not try this idea.

If you dont like they way things are listed and discussed on GW then start your own plant growing information forum. Then you can satisfy the request of the public that will also help your informative plant growing forum fail.

Not to disappoint you Germanstar but your GW response is a computer generated ( better known as). An auto bot response.
    I also tried to understand why Sans and jades are close in cultivating needs but vast temp changes AND wet dry seasons of both of they're native growing seem to be vastly different for me to agree with this claim.

Not to mean that we should NOT talk about a succulent grass in a cacti and succulent topic either I think we should also be gracious enough to accept Sans postings as we are gracious enough and act accordingly for Euphorbia or jungle cacti postings.

10 years ago

As I thought I had stated, forum organization is not about the plants as much as the people who cultivate them -- same people/same crowd. Certainly more so than the diverse crowd posting here. The idea that every thread would need to pertain to both plants is as ridiculous as it would be in here ('should I apply this Jade thread response to my cactus?' Huh????). In any case, this has now gone well beyond beating a dead horse.

This post was edited by GermanStar on Thu, May 9, 13 at 1:30

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Good ideas are often forgotten, but bad ideas seldom are. Get used to it.

Christopher.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

i look thru a lot of informational forums and compared with those GW is very poorly organized in general. i do searches extensively and some are so lo-o-ng and mostly useless. so to find actual info on GW is quite difficult and requires hours of paging thru. who has time for this?
    there should be pinned threads like : 'show new purchases here' or 'id wanted' or 'show yours blooms here' in each subdivision. where everybody just adds their posts instead of popping new threads ala 'lookie what i got!'
    subject wording is very poor too.
    lots of folks just want attention. it creates a lot of info-noise.
    considering that GW is quite mature and very popular they really need to upgrade the software.
    and there should be a number of FAQs, eg in c&s 'jade faq' / 'euphorbia faq'/ xmas-xgiving-easter cactus,etc on a side bar easy access panel.
    i could go like this for a while longer...not that it would change anything.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

There is a Jade Fac Sheet available. It could be expanded to include soil issues and trimming issues. Is there any of the very acomplished Jade aficionados that would like to take this on?. searched "Jade soil needs" and got a lot of hits but much of it was a bit off topic and hard to slog through.

• amany
    10 years ago

This is why I stopped coming to this forum years ago. Please allow those of us to peacefully enjoy our plant hobbies and ask our questions. If you want to make another person aware of the search engine, there's a way to do it without being a forum dictator.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

So you're going to pop in, suggest we would tolerate a dictator* here, let alone have one, and then leave for four more years?

*(is there a uniform involved?)