Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Agave

Posted by ilovetogrow 9 Jax FL (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 5:04

I was gifted this agave and what a color show it is putting on. Thank you for looking and if you know ID please let me know. Paula
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Agave

I dont _think_ its an agave. It looks a lot like a Hectia (a terrestrial bromeliad) to me.

o

I, too, think this is a type of Hechtia. Sorry, I do not know which species. Beautiful plant!

o

Wow, I feel like I'm in a whole new world.

o

I've never seen anything like that before! It sure is gorgeous! How that red just inches up those leaves is fascinating. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who sets little figurines in pots!

o

You may wish to read up on these as Agaves are succulents & Bromeliads are tropicals. Am guessing they'd want quite different care, likely different mixes too.

Very handsome plant, lucky you!

o

Many Hechtias are dryland plants and take similar care as Agaves, nolinas and yuccas. There are hectias that are hardy to Texas, or the Big Bend and the Rio Grande Valley. I am not sure about this one but I think there is a friend in San Antonio Texas that grows on similar. I think his was a bromeliad....not sure. Watchout for those leaves. They took a hunk out of him.

o
RE: Pink Agave2

wanton you are right about the leaves. The thorns go this way and that way up and down the sides. When you try to pull out you are hooked again. I built the 'Agave Welcome Center' around this plant as it is dangerous. I am adding to it again this weekend.

pirate girl this plant was growing like a weed around my MILs house. I took one and treat it like an agave with gritty mix. It has been growing like crazy.

Thank you both for the ID. I did not have a clue on what it truly was. And I do add decoration to my plants. I am still using my son's old toys and he is now 28. Have a great grow day, Paula
Photobucket

o

Coincidentally, the CSSA just posted a few photos of the Huntington Desert Gardens on FB, one of which was
Bromelia balanse. Looks a lot like the one you have Lovetogrow. I'm terrible at the cut and paste photo thing, so I attached a link. Could this be your plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: CSSA photo of Bromelia balense

o
RE: Pink Agave3

Arid it look like the same plant. If not a close cousin. Thank you for showing me this. Paula

Just added another 12" x 8' to the Agave Welcome Center. Moved a few around and it still looks like I have no room. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here