Houzz Logo Print
tneomi

Succulents in the ground - hijole 9 and others

tneomi
9 years ago

Hi hijole 9 from sunny Califirnia and all others
I am neomi from sunny Israel
I love your pictures and garden and got inspired by it
Is the plants there are planted directly in the ground?
how often do you water in the summer and what are you doing with them in the winter?
tnx

Comments (18)

• hijole
    9 years ago

Well hello and shalom Tneomi, Thank you and here in the summer season I try to only water them at least once a week or less one of the nice things about these plants is that most of them thrive on abuse so I make sure that's exactly what they get lol..
    And yes they grow well both in pots and in the ground. For me in sunny california I can leave my plants right where they are with no damage at all which I'm very grateful.

Greg

• tneomi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shalom greg
    thanks for your answer.
    So everything stays outside summer and winter?
    how much rain do you have in the winter?

• hijole
    9 years ago

Tneomi, Yes for me here in sunny california everything stays outdoors :) And considering that they "say" we are in a drought I have found that the rain water has no ill effects on my plants, its the tap water that hurts them especially if there is not fast draining soil and a hole in the pot that it sits in.

Have you collected any plants yet? If so we all would enjoy seeing them, well have a prosperous day my friend, Shalom

Greg

• tneomi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

some of mine

• hijole
    9 years ago

Tneomi, well what a nice collection you have put together, where do you get your plants at in Israel ?
    I've added a picture of one of my favorites, of course I like them all but sometimes it just happens, you just seem to enjoy some more than others ;)

Have a wonderful weekend, Greg

• tneomi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got them from nurseries and friends (cuttings).
    In most nurseries here you can find a very small corner for succulents but always with no ids
    I always loved nurseries but never paid any attention to these corners
    This hobby grabbed me completely last year
    nice weekend to you

• hijole
    9 years ago

Tneomi, I forgot to mention your plant stand, I like that stand. I need to get one or make one similar to it, its a space saver for sure. Its funny but I never considered nurseries in Israel before.

Greg

• nil13
    9 years ago

Whether it stays out through the winter depends on the plant for me. There are some that will rot away if they get rain in the winter. Those I keep in containers. I try to limit those in the collection. Those are the really sensitive ones. There are some that are supposed to be summer water only that I can keep in the ground over winter without any trouble. You just have to learn about your plants in your specific microclimate. Propagate stuff in pots and stick those out in the landscape. If it makes it great. If it doesn't make it you still have one in a pot.

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    9 years ago

My goodness, Greg - What an amazing array of beautiful succulents and cacti you have! If you ever think of gifting a few pups, think LatinLady!! I don't have 1/10th what you have, but you are welcome to take a look at my list.

- Maria Elena

• tneomi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi greg
    Indeed there are some strange opinions about Israel around the world
    We got thousands of nurseries - a lot for 8 million citizens
    You can find one in everywhere
    and no, there is no camels (or shootings) in the streets
    succulents are also not so common

Did I mention that I love your garden? it got worse with the last pictures ....

By the way, do any of you have recommendation for a garden or exhibition of succulents in Manhattan? I'll be there in the coming days
    Thanks
    Neomi

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Greg, I second the wow factor for your really nice plantings of your succulent collection. All growing so heathy. Really love your arrangements!

Tneomi, you have a nice set up and great beginning of a collection.

9 years ago

Tneomi -

Try contacting the NY Cactus & Succulent Society: https://www.facebook.com/newyorkcactusandsucculentsociety

• hijole
    9 years ago

LatinLady " Maria Elena" Wow I saw your trade list just now today 5/5/14 That is a list youhave there you are loaded with stuff and you are looking for more which tells me you are an addict for sure, HIJOLE!!! I'm also addicted and I can't STOP either which makes me wonder how does a person get deliverance from these Cacti & Succulents clutches talk about a Vice!

Let's see how we can arrange for a swap here I need to go back to your list once I get a chance to.

Greg

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

greg- amazing as always! about that field trip to your garden, haha! :)

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Greg,in the 8.th post what is the plant those red buds are attached to?Can you show me a picture of the whole plant,please??Your gardens,and plants are wonderful,I love the designs of all your gardens.

These old knees won't allow me to plant too much in the ground any longer,that's why most of mine are in pots..
    Kathi

9 years ago

Greg,

This is a good vice...It's about surrounding yourself with, nurturing and appreciating beauty...and it has certainly rewarded you for all your hard work. We can all see what you've put into it...It's a masterpiece!

I'm with Chica...We're coming to help you weed...and snip off those out of place strays...We'll even haul off the trash for you! Right, Chica?

PS:
    I'm afraid my window sill garden is relatively tapped out of pups and offsets for now...I've gifted quite a few plants recently to keep it all under control...As much as I'd love to have a full garden in my living room, that just isn't realistic. However, feel free to email me and I'll be happy to see what I can accommodate for you.

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

You got it LatinLady! I'm all about repurpose, recycle, reuse, upcycle and all that stuff. I'm sure we can do lots with those weeds! ;)