Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Direct Sun- Bright Light for Jades and Succulents...

Posted by puglvr1 9a central FL (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 7:00

Every year around this time I have this dilemma about where I should put my Jades and Succulent...since we're slowly approaching mid to upper 90's and very high humidity are lurking(70-100%) around the corner. They don't do well when its this hot/humid when placed in full sun. I was wondering if having them against my South wall (very bright) indirect light is sufficient enough light for them or would it be better if they get actual direct sun to keep the growth compact?

This is what I mean...What do you guys think??

Thanks for any help and input~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Direct Sun- Bright Light for Jades and Succulents...

Hiya Pug,

Wish I had a suggestion for you, sorry I don't really grow Crassulas anymore. I'm hoping Norma will see this & answer your question.

Could I pls. ask what Crassula that is on the left end of the shelf? It's sort of stacked looking (I have something similar which Dr. Barad calls Crassula Christina. I especially like this one of yours.

Wonderful grouping of Crassulas you've got there. If anyone ever wanted to know why we collect them, I'd say look here.

o

Indirect light there would be fine, Pug.

o

Agree with Jeff, they do not grow much in summer anyway.

o

If you want a Jade that can take full sun you'll have to make a new one from a leaf so that the growth it puts on is created with full sun tolerance. Shade the leaf and its base; you don't want it exhausted before the new growth can stand on its own.

It's possible to force a succulent into accepting more sun and heat, but the old growth will suffer. For plants in 2" pots this is okay, since they'll outgrow the frazzled bits quickly, but anything larger will end up as a frazzled plant with some nice bits on top. Your plants look pretty nice, so it'd be a shame to fry them in the name of future growth.

o

Thanks PG!! Nice of you to say...that one on the left is
Crassula 'springtime'. It was a gift from a dear frind and one of my favorites. The flowers remind me a little of Hoya blooms. I hope to see it bloom one day.

Here's the other Half of my collection...also on the same wall.

Thanks CMH...I think I will leave it there for the duration of the hot summer months! It will definitely get a lot of bright indirect light and won't get hit by the rain as often during our rainy season that starts in the end of June.

Doesn't the flowers remind you a little of Hoya Carnosa?

Here's another picture of the plant ...
http://houseplantz.net/crassula-springtime/

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a picture I found on the internet of one in bloom...

o

Ooops didn't see the other two posts. Was typing at the same time I guess.

Thanks for your input Suetremaine and Beachplants!! Appreciate it.

My Jades have always been in Full sun all year...I wanted to give them some relief this year because they do SO awful by the time August gets here...so I wanted to try to put them in the heat of summer in bright indirect light instead of Full direct sun. Just wasn't sure if they eill do okay. Beachplant made an excellent point...my Jades do NOT grow at all in summer anyways (they do go dormant for me) might as well give them a little relief from all that heat and high humidity. Thanks again!

o

Interesting that your jades go dormant in the summer heat. Mine do all their growing in the summer heat, 37C to 38C, and in direct sun.

o

Hi Ron, its always been that way for my Jades and Succulents since I've been growing them in FL...once our temps reach around 90 degrees and above and the humidity rises to unbelievable misery my Jades/Succulents just sits there and does absolutely nothing! Mine grow from Late Nov. through around the end of April. The best months for growth being our winter months when its nice and cool/cold.

I can't see your Zone? Do you have high humidity in the summer? Mine is usually between 70-100%...its miserable!

Check out the link below, under "location" this is what it says about temps above 90 degrees...

"Jade plants grow well outside as patio plants during the summer and their leaves will colour up in the sun, but remember to bring them indoors before the first frosts. The plant will stop growing at temperatures much above 90�F. Jade plants will survive cold conditions to just above freezing if the soil is kept dry but must be kept frost free at all times. Cold night temperatures may help to promote flowering. (See right)""

Here is a link that might be useful: The Jade Plant Page

o

Hi puglvr1.
The humidity here gets only to about 40 to 60%, but the temp gets to 37 or 38C, (about 100F). I know what Florida is like. I spent a vacation there at Disney World and that was enough for me. Temps in the 90's and the humidity in the 90%'s. Had to drink liquids all day long. Also thanks for the web page. I had a Jade for about 27 years and then forgot it outside one fall and it froze. The trunk was about 3 1/2" thick. I now only have 8 jades now and the oldest one is only 5 years old and 2' wide and tall.

o

Lol...most people can't take our FL humidity. It does take some getting used to, but you never really do, you just learn to live with it as best as you can. Run from one air conditioning to the next! I'm SO sorry you lost your 37 year old Jade...I can only imagine how awful that was. I too have lost a few plants from freeze mostly by accident. Best of luck with the ones you have now.

o

Nancy, wow, I have suggestion for you.....send me some. (Only kidding) I only have a small one, and it doesn't do well right now. Your collection is getting bigger and bigger throu the year.

o

"My Jades have always been in Full sun all year...I wanted to give them some relief this year because they do SO awful by the time August gets here..."

Just wondering -- how big were they when you got them? Either way, if they look exhausted in August but bounce back in better weather then it's a... stable? environment for them. They'll certainly grow compact, although they won't look good all year round.

o

I am interested in what you mean when you say they are 'so awful' in the summer. I am in swfl and know the humidity all too well. My jade was outside last summer (it's first), but it seemed to do okay, but now you have me worried :). What signs do I need to keep an eye out for?

o

Okay...maybe "awful" is a bit harsh (everyone has their own meaning when it comes to their plants). In the summer they get very "stress" looking and I don't know if it has to do with the high humidity here or not but that is also when some of them get these weird brown spots (specks) on the leaves...I do think it must have something to do with the leaves being wet from all the humidity and maybe the sun aids in the small brown spots appearing on the leaves. I also get occasional scale (only in the summer) might be a coincidence but I never have them any other time of the year. I think having them against the wall will help prevent the leaves from getting so wet from the humid air.

I know they can handle Full sun all year even in the hottest dessert but I was trying to avoid the brown spots this year, I'll see "if" it makes a difference having them in very bright light as opposed to full sun? I really think its the high humidity that they don't like...that's why they do so much better in California than they do in Florida.

Sutremaine, I've only had these Jades between 2 yrs to around 5 1/2 years. Most of them were small/young when I got them.

Chemgardner, if growing your Jades in Full sun works for you in swfl, I would NOT change anything, I would just keep doing what works for you. All I'm saying is this is something that I want to try for myself and see if it makes any difference, my intentions are not to tell others to do it this way :o)
Just for my own experiment...

o

Marie, Thanks!! I'll definitely keep you in mind if I decide to get rid of some,lol...

o

Hey, Nancy!
The Jade collection (and other succulents) are looking as nice as ever!
My Jades grow *most* of the Summer, excepting about 2 weeks before and after the Solstice
when the heat really peaks. At that time, any water causes the leaves to drop.

This Spring, I've been having a hassle of a time finding the right location for my 'Hummel's'....
it's been warmer than usual, and the yellow leaves have all burned on the edges. I've been
plucking them off pre-emptively, hoping to encourage a new tougher crop of leaves.
One 'Hummel's' is currently in the shade of my patio umbrella, getting only morning
and afternoon sun - we'll see how it does. My other 'Hummel's' - the one that I've plucked -
is back in the sun so that the new leaves will develop in full sun.

Got to keep it interesting! ;-)

Josh

o

Hi Josh, Thanks!! Its definitely a challenge for me especially this time of year and the next several months. I know ideally the best thing for them in the summer (at least for mine) is maybe a couple of hours of morning sun and some shade in the mid afternoon...but finding that "perfect" spot just doesn't exist for me,lol...

Good luck with your Hummels and the rest of your plants!

o

Hi puglvr1, what lovely set of crassulas you have. Ive seen you post on here a few times but never seen your plants before. I think they are beautiful. Especially the gollum in the bonsai pot, love it. Hope you and the pugs are well.
Steve

o

Thanks Steve! I appreciate your kind comments. Max my Pug is doing just great...doing what he loves best..."EATING" :o)

o

Nancy,

Now isn't that worthy of a Jade Pug Picture?

o

puglvr1- I really hope that mine will be as nice as yours one day-- you have a very nice collection there. :)

Mine are just starters right now, in direct sun most the day, right now it is 80F in the shade, so is this good spot for them? or not. Not sure how hot it is in the sun right now. Air is dry. In a few hours, where they are, will be shaded.
So is full sun for starters a good thing? then shade in the later afternoon?

I know I am borrowing this thread, but I just want to make sure I am understanding.

thanks
Marjie :)

o

Okay Jeff...you asked :o)

Here's a picture of Max...Sadly, I no longer have that Jade, it froze unfortunately.

Thanks Marjie, your set up sounds fine for your Jades, since in you're in zone 4 I'm sure direct sun should be perfect for them. Morning sun and afternoon shade sounds like the perfect place. I wish I had a place like that to place my Jades this time of year.

o

You can see the orbs of jade power flexing their muscles in the eyes. And Max's pose is portrait-like.

o

Nancy. Gotta love that picture. It certainly put a smile on my face this am. Much needed!
As for your jades. I hear you, lol
I tend to copy Josh's habits with jade care. So far it seems to be working.
The ones I fear to ruin most are the red horn, variegated hobbits, and variegated golllum. I tend to move them much deciding where to set them.
Either in full sun, part sun when it's hot, a dry area, or one that gets wet from rain, all around the yard?
I have dropped my red horn so many times looking for that perfect spot, that I have marred all the top leaves.
I also understand what you mean about black spots. This seems to happen to mine to only if they are outside on very humid days and the only way to rid them is to pluck the leaves for me. It looks awful.
I have already completely plucked all the leaves on one if my best. Thank goodness they are already growing in after only one week.
Mike

o

Thanks Jeff and Mike! Lol...Max is a total ham :o)...loves the camera!

Too funny Mike, I do the same thing looking for that perfect place in the summer for my Jades. Winter here is SO much easier, I put them in Full sun and I'm done. Summer is a lot harder with all our extreme humidity and sun and of course summer is also our rainy season...so that's another pain in the neck I have to deal with,lol...its never ending!

LOVE all your rare 'red horn', variegated gollums and hobbits! Good luck to us both finding that perfect place :o)

o

Nancy! I think I found that perfect spot!!!!! Lololol

Mike:-)

o

• Posted by alex_i 8 Las Vegas, NV (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 21:24

Hi PUGlvr1,
First, just wanted to say I've read many of your posts and have enjoyed them. I guess everything is relative. Here in Las Vegas, we started hitting 100 in May31. Today, we hit 107, humidity is 8%. What? it ain't summer yet? :-) Needless to say, by this time of the year, almost all my jades go indoors or under the porch. They're mostly outdoors during winter, save a day or two when night temps go below freezing. The opposite of what most folks do. What can I say - Vegas has nice temps in the winter. Humid in Vegas is 25%. I would imagine with your higher humidity, even temps in the 90's could push the heat index well above 100.

My next door neighbor, who owns a landscape company, caught me many years ago watering my plants (potted, in-ground, and grass) at high noon, on the hottest day of July. I did this because I thought it helps cool the plants off. He said I should not do this because any water that splatters on it's leaves, even on grass blades, would get hot to the point that it could damage leaves, burn spots, and/or wilt the plant. Luckily, I only did minor damage to one gollum. To date, the brown spots on it's otherwise healthy leaves still show the scars. So now, I water outdoor plants very early in the morning or when the sun has shaded the plants. I wonder if when jades are subjected to very high humidity (isn't 100% humidity called rain?) baking in the full sun, if that does some damage to it's leaves, exactly as if you watered the leaves while in full/esposed sun/heat?

-sutremaine- I agree with your statement "If you want a Jade that can take full sun you'll have to make a new one from a leaf so that the growth it puts on is created with full sun tolerance". As an experiment and because I have never done so before, I took a crassula leaf and a few small gollum tips, and dropped them into an outdoor pot last summer. The pot gets full sun all day, all year, no special treatment. This year, even watered them when they're completely sun-baked (leaves and all, as you can see from the water spots). And here they are! I suspect these would be my toughest jades (winter or summer). The only downside is I have to water them every other day now. By July, it'll be everyday. But they're not even red! :-)

o

Thanks for the nice comments Alexi...funny my sister lives in Las Vegas (she moved there several years ago from CA)and she was used to growing her plants outside almost all year in CA and when she moved to Las Vegas she took a very large and healthy Jade with her only to "BAKE IT" the first summer she lived there...she was devastated to say the least!! She is having to relearn everything she knew about gardening now that she lives in LV...its a very different way of gardening for you guys that's for sure! Best of luck and thanks for info you provided...you are probably right about the 70-90 percent humidity we mostly have here for at least 4-5 months a year. We easily can get over the "feels like" temps of over 100 to 105 degrees when the humidity is very high around July thru Sept. is our hottest months!

I enjoy visiting my Sister and Las Vegas...a very FUN place, and I do enjoy your very low humidity but not the 115 degrees,lol...

Good luck with your plants!

o

Hello!

Nancy, I'm happy to report that my 'Hummel's Sunsets' are all doing much better after
I moved them into shade - one dish is simply shaded by other taller Jades, two other
cuttings are potted with a Portulacaria and shaded by it, and the largest 'Hummel's' is
below the deck rail where it gets dappled sunlight most of the day. Yes, the leaves are
more green now...but at least they're returned energy to the plant's roots, and that is
of utmost important in the long-run.

Thanks for the kind words, Mike ;-)

Josh

o

Great to hear Mike!!

Josh, I'm happy to hear your Hummel's sunsets are doing much better in the shade. I too have found that my Jades do much better in the summer when they get some relief from the intense heat since they are potted I think the roots dry out much quicker (especially since they are in clay pots) and I do believe the roots are happier from the shelter of direct sun.

Health of the plants takes top priority!

o

Aww, how handsome is max!! Love pugs :) Just realised I have seen a few of your plants on here before, the jade you have with the thick trunk is a real beauty. Hope all is well.
Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here