Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cghpnd

help with identity

cghpnd
10 years ago

Good morning everyone.
I bought these yesterday at walmart. The tag said "succulents houseplants" thats all. What are they, their requirements? Thank you so much in advance.

Comments (22)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Left to right, as pictured upside down above

Echeveria runyonii 'Topsy Turvy', I think

Crassula ovata 'Hobbit' (could be 'Gollum', though - a clearer pic would help)

Kalanchoe tomentosa

Porous soil, full sun (acclimate them to this over a two-week period if you're unsure how they were grown before), and water once a week to 10 days when it's warm. They grow best outside. They don't like cold but can take a little freezing if they're dry. Your cultural conditions are different than mine, and since I don't know what yours are, you might need to do something / things differently than I do, but this is generally good generic advice.

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

could the one on the left be a senecio?

10 years ago

Zech,

I see what you mean, but I see the somewhat-incomplete rosette of an Echeveria; however, it could be as you say. I ain't no Pope.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I agree with cactusmcharris, can it be a aeonium, or can there have been broken leaves in the rosette

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im so sorry, I did not know the pic was upside down. stupid tablet (more like operators error) =]

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I agree, a clearer pic would help.

I agree with most of Jeff's IDs. Definitely good growing info!

Upside down, left, I don't think is 'Topsy Turvy', but is possible just the species, Echeveria runyonii. Can you tell us if the leaves are glaucous (makes a mark if you touch leaf-removes some of the "bloom") or possibly fuzzy?

In the middle pot, are there 2 separate stems of Crassula? Looks like maybe so...and if so, front seems to me more like 'Hobbit' & back more like 'Gollum' (better pic would help clear up).

Right (grey, fuzzy), agree Kalanchoe tomentosa.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I have never sen a topsy turvy "Tosey Turvy" before.

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heres a few pics. I thought I posted more yesterday but its not there. Sorry for the upside down pic.

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another one

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one. And ill be keeping them indoors about 3 feet from a bright window.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi,

Nice little finds, but the most important thing you can do for these is get them out of that awful, peaty looking mix. C&S mix w/ 30% added perlite would be fine & much better for them.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Thanks for the additional pix.
    Still not sure on the Echeveria (now on the left). Needs brighter light to grow more compactly-a bit etiolated now.

Middle one Crassula ovata 'Gollum', ('Gollum' was derived from 'Hobbit', and will occasionally still have some leaves in the form of 'Hobbit'~which your plants shows~ some of each form.)

Kalanchoe tomentosa on the right.

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help. They are some cool names.
    I replaced the soil. How long do I wait to water them since I just repotted them? they were bone dry when I brought them home.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

If they were bone dry & you repotted, have you watered yet? If not, do so now. If already watered, just wait till they are dry (not bone dry) again.

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They were dry when I took them out of their pots. They got wet when I rinsed the dirt off that was left on them before putting them in their new soil.

So go ahead and water now? I cant seem to find a lot of information on these guys.. = /

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I think that jade is hobbit and not gollum

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

If the soil is dry (after you repotted them), then, yes, water now. =)

Below is a link to the FAQ page for general care on Crassula ovata (yours being offspring). Should help in many areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ on Crassula ovata care

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice. That page was informative.

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided to put them outside for the summer because I don't think they were getting enough light. the one on the left had some yellow mushy leaves so I figured the soil wasn't drying quick enough or maybe they got wet but I will keep them outside.

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided to put them outside for the summer because I don't think they were getting enough light. the one on the left had some yellow mushy leaves so I figured the soil wasn't drying quick enough or maybe they got wet but I will keep them outside.

10 years ago

You should acclimate them to the full sun over a week to 10 days.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Cghpnd, I got your note about seeds but your settings on Gardenweb prevent me from being able to respond. Hope this will reach you. Please include your email address in another note? Thanks!

...so how are these plants doing?

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville