Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Recommend Plant & Source

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 9:10

Hello~

Looking for suggestions on a 'trailing' succulent that I can plant in a 'Head Planter'...

I originally wanted a Burro's Tail, found a small specimen similar to that but looking for something more...

I want it to have the appearance of 'hair' hanging down in the planter, but not a stringy or invasive variety.

Thanks for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Recommend Plant & Source

As for sources, I suggest doing a Google search, using the name of the plant and "shipping" as the other term.

For plants, I suggest Senecio radicans, AKA "String Of Bananas". I see this plant often in the garden centers of local DIY stores. Also, there is Crassula lycopodioides, also called Crassla muscosa or Watch Chain Plant. It will be more of a buzz cut appearance, though!

Some Stapelias would give the appearance of very thick locks hanging down.

In cacti, there are Aporocactus and Aporophyllum, as well as Rhipsalis baccata, and other Rhipsalis species with terete leaves.

o
RE: Please Recommend Plant & Source

You haven't mentioned what kind of setting they'd be in our how much light they'd get. Most succulents would like a lot of light, am guessing some want lots of direct sun -- C. lycopoidioides is one, likely Sedum Marganianum too (Burros Tail).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here