Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emerald1951

is it really May????

emerald1951
10 years ago

Hi all.....can you believe this...we are going to get 6 inches of snow today.....all my plants are longing to go outside....
but with this crazy weather this spring....I don't know when it will be safe....have a great day all......linda

Comments (17)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

It is still chilly up here but i have put a couple of plants out. When i heard snow in the midwest, I almost had a heart attack. I feel extremely bad for you. Snow is so dreadful in late spring. Please hold on for as long as possible

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

Well, can say just the opposite - we hit 33C today!! Not late autumn/winter either!! Maybe we switched back...lol!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

31 degrees Celcius=94.1 dehrees Far. That is hot!!

DARN THIS ENGLISH SYSTEM. EVEN THE ENGLISH DONT USE ENGLISH SYSTEM.i WANT TO GET USED TO THE METRIC SYSTEM

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

^ Oh, I know. I never know what the heck temperatures people are talking about when not dealt with in degrees. Not their fault, but frustrating for those in the U.S.! I wasn't taught the metric system, my parents weren't taught the metric system, and then I got to college a few years ago and suddenly it was necessary to know it. That crap should be taught from elementary school because it is so not easy to pick up.

I was angry enough last night about it hitting about 33 degrees as a low here. Other people getting snow is just ridiculous. It's May!

• xerophyte NYC
    10 years ago

As long as the actual temperature is not below freezing, snow is not so bad. As it melts it is the equivalent of a good soaking rain.

Many of my cactus/ succulents have been out in the snow without any detriment as long as you can keep them dry and warm afterwards.

I sometimes try to time things so that if I know we are getting some good rain in a forecast, and my plants are in need of water, I will purposely extend the drought until they get real rain. There is an effort to do this, requiring carrying some trays filled with plants out of my greenhouse, but it is a good thing to do every now and then.

x

• notolover
    10 years ago

We had a tease of nice weather, but now it's cold again. At least I don't think we'll get anymore snow.

I always say that we don't really have spring here--it dances around and that's about it. I can't plant my veggies until June and even then I have to coddle them (Aqua domes/wall of waters/frost blankets). Climate is a crazy thing!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

You might as well have a greenhouse

• notolover
    10 years ago

I would love a greenhouse if I could afford to heat and cool it :-)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I feel so bad for you Linda! It's just not right and certainly not normal.

Our friend Toni in Illinois told me it hit 85 today and 90 tomorrow...Not fair. It is still in the 30;s here at night.

Mike

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I have been hearing from many across the country they are still dealing with the white stuff! My sis is stuck in a snow storm in Colorado. Will everyone be jumping from winter to summer this year? Yikes!

Simple enough to Google Celcius to Farneheit conversion (or vice versa). Pop in the number & there you go!

Very GOOD advice, X! We know you take excellent care of your plants. Glad you've figured out what to do that works!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I have a pop up "widget" on my mac that has conversions for metric in Temperature, length, speed , pressure, temperature and much more.... I use it a lot.

We were88 today and are headed down to 39 tomorrow with rain. Snow in the Pandhandle . I brought in some of the really touchy cactus under the cover. My tomatoes spend a night under big black pots.It is crazy. We have had a LONG spring. Usually we blink and we are through it.

• emerald1951
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all...well last night we got lucky here just some rain...
    but 40 miles east of me, they got 14 + inches of snow...
    there were school closing....and its may 2 ......
    crazy weather....I will remeber the spring of 2013 for sure.....linda

• cowgurl160
    10 years ago

Linda
    You must be fairly close to where I live. We ended up not getting anything but I heard to the south got some snow and to the east got a lot of snow. Its kinda cold today, definitely too cold for most plants to go out, but at least the sun is shining.

• nil13
    10 years ago

It sure doesn't feel like May here. It's 95F/35C with brushfires. That's more like late summer.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

A friend of mine is breathing ashes over by you but I think she is in the valley and I guess they do get hotter. She is always telling me it isa 114 or something like that..

• conomn
    10 years ago

Got my plants out for a couple of days, then back in. We got about 12" of the messy, melty white stuff here in southern MN. Everything just stopped. I think everyone was in shock.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I know how you feel. I had a full day of work and this cold weather has me holed up cuddling the cats. Self employment is dangerous when one looses the self imposed discipline.