Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help with Agave problem

Posted by bibbus 7b (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 9:25

My beautiful agave has ugly yellowish spots on it. I transplanted it last year and it has more than doubled in size but it has these spots on it. It is in front of a large window that get full sun in the morning. I was about to take it outside to acclimate it to my back porch which only gets partial morning sun.

A few days ago, I fed it with half strength organic fertilizer thinking it may not be getting nutrients from the potting medium which is 2/3 cactus medium and 1/3 potting soil. I had the parent agave to this plant for about 20 years and have never seen this before. I will post another picture that has different looking spots on a smaller plant that came from the same parent plant. Could it be from cold - too close to a window? Nutrition deficiency? Disease? What is it and how should I treat it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help with Agave problem

To me, those blemishes look a bit like sun burns, but wait for others to chime in and see what they think.

o

This plant has been in the same window for 6-8 months. I was wondering if it could be from cold temperatures? In January I was away from home for 3 weeks and my house was at 50 degrees for much of that time. It got down to 0 one night and was cold the whole time. I was wondering if it could be damage from that? Since its in front of a window, it could have gotten colder than 50.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 18, 14 at 17:23

A. attenuata can go down to about 35F without damage. That particular species can get leaf marring from water sitting on a leaf too long, from getting bumped, from getting handled by toddlers or cats, from getting dusty in some spots but not others and then exposed to sunlight, from hot sun, etc. Likely nothing to worry about unless you want absolutely pristine foliage.

o

I'm thinking sun burn as Well

o

I'm thinking sun burn as Well

o

I'm thinking cat handling - they're furry destructors.

o

Thank you, all. I will try moving it back from the window. I have no animals or children so that eliminates some possible causes! I'll get my little dust wand out and check to see if there is any dust there as well.

o

good luck hunnie

o

Thank you for your help. I moved the agave out onto my back screened in porch and out of direct sunlight. The spots actually turned black like a bruise, but now appear to be healing and actually turning green again. But this is so strange since agave's are supposed to be full sun. I have some babies that I had planned to put in an outside planter and it gets full afternoon sun (with no morning sun). If I gradually acclimate it and the other succulents I had planned to put in that planter, do you think they will be OK? Do you think the glass window had anything to do with the sunburn?

o

If I placed A. attenuata out in full sun, I would return to a pile of ashes in a few days.

o

Interesting! After I posted that last message I did look up agave conditions online and found that they are full to part sun and do need shielding from really hot, direct sun. I have had this plant for 20 years, well I should say the rosette came from the original plant I got more than 20 years ago, and I have frequently put it in direct sun. Maybe it was never that close to the window before though. I assumed it was like a cactus! So I will change my plans for the outdoor planter. Thanks for your comments. I would be interested in where you have yours planted if its outdoors.

o

Many Agaves reside in the low desert - high desert transitional zone. They are almost always found at some elevation, where temps are cooler and moisture more abundant. Many cacti thrive under conditions that most Agaves could not tolerate. Definitely a different creature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here