Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cereus monstrose 'Ming Thing'- Do you own one?

Posted by plantomaniac08 8 (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 10:02

I recently recieved a Cereus validus f. monstrose 'Ming Thing' as a gift and was having a difficult time finding pictures online of large specimens (I'm curious what it looks like when it gets "big"). If you have a photo, would you mind sharing (even if you don't consider it a "large specimen," I'm still interested in seeing yours)?

Also, how slow/fast does it grow? Any slower/faster than the "average cactus"? I've never been much for monstrose cacti, but a gift is a gift. ;)

Planto

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cereus monstrose 'Ming Thing'- Do you own one?

I just rescued one from Lowes this past weekend. I will post a pic when I get home. I too would love more info on this variety.

o

Alkh86,
Can't wait to see your picture!

Planto

o

well he's a little guy, not a large specimen by any stretch, but I'll be happy to share some pics anyway. I was able to google image search a few larger specimens, some that even have huge, freaky, deformed flowers. I can only hope that on day my little guy shows off like that

o

alkh86,
Oh, those are interesting. Guess those flowers will make up for it's... odd look. ;)

Planto

o

Here is mine, still a wee one, however. Tom on this forum has a nice big specimen, I know...

Christopher.

o

Here's my new little monster.

o

And his little buddy

o

kaktuskris,
Thanks for sharing! How long have you had yours? I hope Tom posts a photo of his, as you mentioned he has a large specimen. :)

alkh86,
Yours looks a little more filled in at the base than mine, should make a nice specimen when it gets older (I'm afraid mine is going to look more like a tree lol). What's that second picture of? I've seen it before but can't quite put my finger on it...

o

The label says: Crested Echinopsis /
Caterpillar Plant

o

Hmm... I wouldn't have guessed Echinopsis. I'm not much for crested cacti either (I know, I'm picky lol), but I actually like yours.

Planto

o

Not sure about the 'Ming thing' with mine, but here it is hanging in my now empty sunroom...

photo image_zps47eb8f31.jpg"

o

they are pretty slow growing.
mine bloomed after 10 years with me and it was a big plant when I bought it: about 18".
it's called night blooming cereus - the flower opens for just one night.
it needs south window to bloom. mine is now in the west and it stopped blooming.
here's the photo of the biggest one I've seen in Bronx botanical garden in nyc. don't know how old it is.

o

Hi guys! I'm pretty sure we're talking about 2 different plants. I'm not huge into cacti but I do have a 'Ming Thing', or what was sold under that name at L O W E S. I don't think it ever gets that big. I know there are at least a few different types of monstrose Cereus.

Here's my 'Ming Thing', had it for about 3 years, happily lives indoors near a south-facing window, has grown imperceptibly. I included this salty little fish for reference... chomp, chomp!

o

I have had my plant a year or two, and I don't know if it is the same as yours, hanzrobo, but I have definitely seen some growth on mine.

Christopher

o

tom_termine,
Not sure if yours is the same as my plant, but whatever you have there, it's impressive! Has it ever bloomed for you?

petrushka,
Well, I hope mine doesn't take more than 10 years to bloom... it's only about 4 inches tall! It's too bad the closest botanical gardens here doesn't have cacti or succulents, I'd love to see something like that in person.

Ryan,
Wow, that's tiny for 3 years of growth. :P I put mine outdoors with my other cacti so maybe I'll notice some growth by this time next year hehe.

Christopher,
Even if it's not the same, do you have a photo you'd like to share?

Planto

o

Planto, my photo is in my first post above...

Christopher

o

Christopher,
Oh... ah ha... ah... ha... Sorry about that. This is why I should go to bed when I'm tired instead of attempting to read. I do remember seeing your picture and responding to. *sigh* And, I re-read your post from last night... you were mentioning to Ryan you weren't sure if it was the same as his... not directed to me and Ryan.

Again... Sorry, I apparently should have called it a night sooner than I did. Your monstrose has quite a bit of growth on it already IMHO. I should post a photo of mine. I'll do that later. :)

Planto

o

yep, mine is a different cereus, but they all have similar giant flowers that open for 1 night only.
I looked up 'ming thing' it seems to be a dwarf variety. 12"-18". also for some reason some sites state part-shade for it.
I guess in AZ everything needs part-shade :0.

o

petrushka,
Oh, that's nice to know about being a dwarf variety. I don't think I'd have the room for anything as tall as some of the previous pictures. Hehe, our patio probably feels like AZ in August. I have it with my other cacti, but it's in a more shady spot with a couple succulents.

Planto

o

I have looked at this plant on the logees website and i SHIVERED!!!!!!!!! I can see why this plant is a good collectible but it is not a plant to make it in my beautiful succulent collection

o

Teen,
I couldn't find it ('Ming Thing') on Logees, are you referring to the two Epiphyllums they have (night blooming cereus)?

Planto

o

I had one for a few years. Grew very slowly and looks different and was told it was Cereus peruvianus Montrose, then Cereus fernambucensis f. cristate. I cut it up and gave out all the pieces here and on another garden web site. Supprised no one post theirs here yet.

o

Ok, here's a picture of my 'Ming Thing' as promised.

Planto

o

Stush,
That's one large cactus! Granted, I'm not surprised... you have some rather large Sans. :)

Planto

o

So maybe mine isn't a 'Ming Thing' as it seem to be branching out, not staying in a small clump...

Christopher

o

Christopher,
Yours looks like one to me. I don't know much about these (hence the OP), but yours just looks like a taller version of mine IMHO.

Planto

o

Here is my "Ming THing". What do I have to do to make thiss thing grow!!! He is pretty in the setting sun.
DSC_0053

o

Posting a bit late. I might have bought mine around the time this was posted if that counts. Mine is marked Cereus 'Ming Thing Mini'.

When I first looked it up, I couldn't find much info. I still don't see much info. I figured it must be kinda rare but I see it being pushed at our local garden center. At least what appear to be three different sources or brands. I could have bought a bigger, bushier one than mine, for about three dollars but I passed. One is enough..but looking at the blooms on this post, lol, now I almost regret that I didn't grab another.

Anyways I must be doing something right. It hasn't died yet. It wants to grow roots in the air along its base. I'm keeping it under direct fluorescent light and watering when it feels dry or the pot gets really light when lifting.

o

I like that mini. The others arent really my taste.

o

I like little trees myself

o

I noticed that the flowers were monstrose as well, I have never seen one in flower. I have seen several. Those all look great. Norma

o

Richard

Very nice tree...btw, do you sculp too? Or is it my imagination - something dark on your table/shelve (on left of the photo) looks like a face to me...Rina

o

Rina

No I don't sculp what you see on the shelf is a pair of rolled up glass gloves I use to repot cactus with.
succulent are my only vise
Richard

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 23:56

gloves!...I am seeing things...lol
Rina

o

Here's mine. Been a very slow grower for me, too.

Oct 2013 photo IMG_9807_zpsd0522583.jpg

Oct 2013 photo IMG_9806_zpsb057bcf8.jpg

photo witch255Fstir255Fmd255Fwht_zps48271a2c.gif

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here