Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomen_nudum

Argyrodemra cultivating tips ?

nomen_nudum
9 years ago

Dug it out of under lighting 12 hours is in the midst of indoor 7AM - noon S window Apx 70 % to out side transitioning Can these handle heat and full pounding sun over summer or are they concidered to be winter growers

Lookng a little thirsty in the pic had some two days ago

Comments (12)

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

"Dug it out of under lighting 12 hours is in the midst of indoor 7AM - noon S window Apx 70 % to out side transitioning"........uh, what?!?!?

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

To echo BrodyJames (would that be Nancy)

WHAT????

So many times I don't understand this poster's comments or threads.

• nomen_nudum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Short hand version In detail ?

Lighting : T-6 CFL's that I use with a racking stsyem (Mentioned plant seen in pic had been under mentioned lighting) sence a random day I cant recall exactly what day in October 2013and same plant had been unde the racked lighting sence.

At APX 7 AM today I moved said mentioned plant from under mentioned lighting to a window sill location that provides 70 % full sun

Window lighting provides 70 % of full sun during the hours menioned from 7 AM to noon

My avalabilaty of outside Full sun : Imagine a baseball dimond where your standing on a pictures mound only there is no garss or no walls ( known to me as 100% full sun.) mentioned window whre i placed the plant in pic gets 70 % of that same amount of full sun.

As you can imagine it also gets rather hot while sitting in a 3 inch pot under mentioned full sun here

The inside lighting is kind of simple for someone who understands inside lighting I'm asking about out side heat and sun limits that concerns the same plant AKA That thing known to many on the forum as transitioning.

Do you understand the importance regarding inside lighting to outside sun trasitions ?

In English: Please If you dont understand the question and can only say re peat the question as a viable responce to a plant you dont know anything about , just leave the question for someone else who does .

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

I do know about this plant, as I've grown this plant. I understand and speak English perfectly well. I can also spell and I avoid run-on sentences, so please, if you would, proof read your posts before you hit the submit button. By doing so, you will ensure that your post in understood by a wider audience.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Don't feel bad guys the post didn't make any sense to me either.. and reply seems kind of rude. :-/

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Nomen,

I wasn't volunteering anything abt the plant. Just asking what on Earth you were saying, which is an entirely reasonable question.

Good luck getting assistance when it appears you're the only one who understands what you're saying.

It's rather like transmitting in Morse Code to an audience unfamiliar w/ it.

• nomen_nudum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it is a good point Pirategirl when all else fails luck will have to help.

This post was edited by nomen_nudum on Wed, May 7, 14 at 22:19

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

So all of that run-on sentence craziness (was there math in there? I was lost) is, simply put: you WERE growing it under lights, and NOW you would like to grow it in the ACTUAL sunshine, which, in your area, is pretty powerful, and how to proceed. Why didn't you just say that?

I am working with a tray of two month old argyderma seedlings. One thing that is oft-repeated here is: ease a plant into full sun. Gently, a little at a time. If it shows any signs of distress, back off. My seedlings have been sitting in a south facing window with a napkin over the container to filter the light. For the last two weeks, I have allowed them full sun for two hours a day. They are green and growing, and I haven't lost any, so ... I'm taking that as a good sign.

Nutshell: Everything I have read says that these are full sun plants, but watch for sunburn if it is very intense in your area. Proceed with caution.

• nomen_nudum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No math mastery wheren't my intentions with the first post . No new job for me working for the world press either LOL
    Thanks for your info I can and will concider it safe to treat it as a summer grower

FYI... IMHO many others could use help with grammer as so many understand single letters originated from completed words( period)

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

I don't think it's a summer grower ... only that the plant should (eventually) be okay in full sun. Info I'm finding is that you water very lightly during summer, only when it wrinkles a bit, and in the fall it will flower and you can water a little more.

One thing about summer vs winter growers that may be confusing (at least it has been for me), is that its care is not about the sunlight, but the watering. It goes against what we normally do: long, sunny days typically means watering more and lots of growth. But with many mesembs, its the fall and winter, when days are shorter, that they put out much of their growth. It could be that they grow in an environment that gets SO inhospitable in the summer that they must go dormant. Mimicking this in our home can be difficult ... simply because it goes against the rules that exist in our brains and our plants: every other green thing in the house has settled down for a long winter's nap, and suddenly these aliens wake up!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

It's my understanding that they grow according to their native land. I used to raise parakeets, and they would breed and be ready to sell at Christmas, because our Dec. is spring in Australia, where they are from. Make sense? I hope it does.

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

All I can say is good luck with it because they seem to require a watering schedule that I can never understand. I've killed soooo many of these! I have two alive atm that are starting to wrinkle and reveal and new "egg" in the middle. Hopefully these don't die! I'm not watering them for a while, lol.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!