Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine_mom

whats wrong with this aloe?

sunshine_mom
9 years ago

I was given an aloe pup sometime in the fall. I placed it on the windowsill (window facing east). It began to turn brownish and one of the sections started to curl inward. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? Is it watering or the sun that is the issue? Please help. Ty.

Comments (11)

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

How soon did it start to turn to mush? And what kind of mix is it in? What are your watering habits?

I think most Aloes go somewhat dormant in the winter and water needs to be cut back. Did you water it much over the winter?

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I water about every week or so, when i feel that the soil is dry enough. As for the mix, I combined miracle grow potting mix with vermiculite and some small gravel that you see on the decorative top there.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

When did it start to turn brown/go soft? And did you water it once a week all winter.

Most frown on Vermiculite in a mix. :-/ It retains too much moisture and compacts.

If it were me, I would un pot it and see if it still has any roots left.

JoJo

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Sorry, to say so, but Jojo's right about vermiculite being bad news for succulents; it holds water which is the exact opposite of what one wants w/ succulents, which is for the mix to be as fast draining as possible.

Miracle Gro potting mix has peat (bad for C&S) & likely also wetting agents (also bad for this). The mixed in gravel doesn't help either.

I've got a west window full of Aloes that I'm only watering abt every 2 wks now. Also these plants do better in clay pots than plastic.

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you guys! I will change all that for sure! i guess i will begin with a special mix for C&S.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

If that's what you've got that's fine, just get some perlite also & add 40 - 50% perlite to the C&S mix. It'll do just fine.

I perfer clay pots for my Aloes.

A good rule of thumb here for succulents, is when in doubt about watering, don't. They'll survive underwatering far better than overwatering, just so you know.

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yeserday i repotted this aloe and this morning it looked green again. i hope its a beginning of a new life for my little aloe friend. thank u all for your suggestions.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

That's good news!
    Hope it continues to recover for you!

Your welcome. :-)

Keep us up dated. I think you can save this thread in your clippings and it will be easier to find later to up date.

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

I can tell you it;s also sunburn. It happened to mine...Those Alo's are very sensitine to direct hot sun or can be..

Burn along with a wet mix usually does them in..

Good luck with it:-)

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sat, May 17, 14 at 11:52

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

just wanted to show it :)

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Wow!!
    looks good! It's hard to tell that is the same plant! :-)

You may want to remove a little mix from the top so it's not around the base of the leaves, just to the stem, to avoid rot. Other than that, looks like your on your way with a happy plant!

Thanks for the update! :-)