Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Succulent ID Needed (No clue)

plantomaniac08
9 years ago

I am posting this picture on behalf of a friend who is in need of an ID for this plant.

{{gwi:544396}}

Thanks in advance,
Planto

Comments (25)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Beth,

That looks like an Ariocarpus, but which species....

• mingtea
    9 years ago

I was going to go something in the realm of aloe/haworthia/gasteria... Looks like a clump of 3?

-Ming

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

WOW, that's a spread of possibilities right there in two entries. A better picture might be in order. I was thinking Echeveria black prince with burnt tips. Hard to say.

• reggie
    9 years ago

I'll throw a guess out there.

Gasteria nigricans monstrose

Edit: mind-meld with Colleen. Ha!

This post was edited by Reggieee on Fri, May 30, 14 at 13:12

• Colleen E
    9 years ago

Hey, Jeff, isn't this the monstrose G. you and I both have? Gasteria nigricans monstrose?

Edit: Hahah, go Reggie!

This post was edited by teatree on Fri, May 30, 14 at 11:48

• mingtea
    9 years ago

...or those, too! (Liking the Echeveria direction, and even 'black knight' is possible.) I'm intrigued!
    -Ming

This post was edited by mingtea on Fri, May 30, 14 at 11:54

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I would have never guessed Gasteria. Thanks Reggie and Colleen! Thanks everyone else for your answers as well!

Now to give my friend the good news, he's been hunting for a name for weeks!

Planto

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

I would opt for Gasteria nigricans, also. Mine isn't dark because it didn't get much sunlight with our Michigan winters. It is most definitely not Echeveria 'Black Knight'.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Howard!

Planto

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

HMMM I couldn't see it very well.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Thanks Planto,
    I was going to post also. I have Echeveria Black Knight and also don't think it is. I was close to thinking a hybrid. Now for his Sans collection, I am having a problem. Including that last picture of an Agave, or a Sans.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mara,
    That's okay. The picture was a little blurry.

Stush,
    Sure thing. I asked him if he'd be okay with me asking as it seemed like he wasn't getting any responses. Hopefully someone will be able to ID the others for him. If you're stumped, he might be waiting for a little longer for an ID. I know you know your Sans.

Planto

• reggie
    9 years ago

Here is mine...
    grown in the shade
    outside
    without much love..ugg
    in So. Cal.

{{gwi:544397}}

Here is a link that might be useful: gasteria flickr shot

This post was edited by Reggieee on Fri, May 30, 14 at 23:05

• Colleen E
    9 years ago

Your plant really looks pretty awesome, Reggie. (The pot sure helps, right? :) )

I have two of this plant, and need to update my photos. My more recent of the two is much more tightly crested than these, which I thought was interesting. I'll like to see whether it keeps the tight habit.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

I'll post a new one for the plant that I am confused on. For the same person. Because I am familiar with Sans, it makes it even harder. There's just too many of them. You guys never seem to be stumped with any thing. Well done.
    Stush

9 years ago

Beth,

Ming, Colleen and Regina are spot on with the ID - that's when happens when you try to ID a plant in a dark room when the world is coloured with just the right amount of tequila.

Colleen,

Yes, it does look like that. And Ryan has the mother plant, so you'd expect it to be flowering and quintupled in size by now, eh?

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Reggie,
    I can't say I see the "without much love" in your plant; it looks very happy! I also love that pot, did you purchase it or make it?

Colleen,
    I'd like to see your plants, if you don't mind sharing.

Jeff,
    Lol, too bad I don't drink. ;)

Planto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Neat plants!

Is that a "caudex" pot? I LOVE it!

• Colleen E
    9 years ago

Ryan's plant surely would be, Jeff. But he's got too much stuff that looks good--what do you do for photography besides spend your life shooting and uploading.

But monstrose plants/crests flower? I thought that's a rarity.

9 years ago

Beth,

Not at all (it's not too bad).

Colleen,

Exactly. He offered me the position of CFO and uploader, but I don't likely have another 50 years.

• hanzrobo
    9 years ago

Hahaha, the position of Chief Uploader is still open!

I had to go check on that plant to make sure, so now I can say- I don't think I've shared that plant. Mine is looking good but still in the same 2" pot that I used to nurse it back to health. When I found the plant, shoved behind some other stuff at a shamefully unkempt nursery, it was halfway dead and infested with mealies. I couldn't have shared it until very recently and that hasn't happened.
    I think maybe you guys remember helping me with the ID a while back, or something very similar to this, where I hopped in and said, "hey, I have that plant, thanks for the name!" Anyway, thanks for reminding me- I need to pot it up so mine can look like Reggie's!

• reggie
    9 years ago

{{gwi:544398}}

Here is how mine looked when I bought last summer in a little pot. $2 bucks. Haha. Really made it look important by the nice pot that's it's been in since I've had it. Had to dig it out from behind other stuff on a shelf. It had mealybugs and so I sprayed it well. Glad I saw this post as it made me go out there and give it a hard look.

Planto - Pot was not made by me but by a talented potter in my neck of the woods.

Colleen - I'd love to see your plant that is more tightly crested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cart jumpers

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Reggie,
    Not only do I have to be jealous of the fact that you Cali folks have wonderful C&S selections, but now I have to be jealous of pots! :P

Planto

• Colleen E
    9 years ago

I apologize for my delay. Ah, work schedule.

Mine is seemingly very comparable to yours, Reggie, now that I see a more distant view. Yours is a really nice, tight crest.

Neither of mine looks decent. The color is still horrible this season. They need to go outside.

The smaller, more compact/newer one had subtle mealies when it came home, and I think I've fought them off. The plant just wasn't in good condition... I haven't helped it along much. :/

One on the right was dehydrated right then...

{{gwi:544399}}

• reggie
    9 years ago

Very nice, teatree. Thanks for taking the time to share those shots. I like BOTH of them and how you have potted them up. I'm sure they will darken up when outside. Hats off to you for lugging them around for the seasons.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor