Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagardens

Can I propagate frosty echeveria from leaf?

chicagardens
9 years ago

Can I propagate frosty echeveria from leaf? TY! :)

This post was edited by chicagardens on Fri, May 9, 14 at 10:43

Comments (12)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

I don't know of any Crassulaceae which CAN'T be propagated from leaves, especially the larger ones. Of course, conditions and aptitude will dictate your success in doing so, but it would not be the best time to try when it's hot but when it's warm (day and night temps to consider).

• spapa
    9 years ago

There are a few that are difficult - E. laui for certain. What species are you referring to? Most should be no problem!

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got this one at lowes. I'm attaching a pic. As you can see most of the leaves fell. It's not doing so well. So I hope that it recovers and also that it's sudden poor health with results in more babies.

This post was edited by chicagardens on Sat, May 10, 14 at 8:44

• spapa
    9 years ago

Those should be no problem, although they'll take a while. Just put the leaves somewhere you can resist touching them for a few months :)

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I've had a rough time propping these guys, but then again i seem to be having trouble with most of my proping to begin with so hopefully you'll have better luck then i do hun.

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Spapa- thx for the tip. Should I water during this time?

Kaittiekat- I'm 50/50 with propagation. Sometimes I have amazing success and other times its a complete failure. Good luck on your end.

• chinaphoenix
    9 years ago

I bought this from eBay but received it with a terrible status, please see the photo & guess she's quite sick, seller wrapped it loosely with bubble plastic which I normally receive same kind of packaging from other sellers, but it was fully covered by wet soil when I opened the parcel, normally Royal Mail does the roughly delivery job even taped around of "fragile handle with care".. but succulents I received before were in dry soil & they were easily back to form after repot. Anyone can help me to cure this plant? I really love her style when I 1st met it on eBay, please help !

• chinaphoenix
    9 years ago

Hi all,
    I'm posting a follow-up of my sick succulent's photo before she was post transit to me, so everyone can tell the different...

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh wow chinaphoenix- she sure did recover nicely! That's a hearty one though. Sometimes mine get leggy and after a bit of sun they pop back up. I hope the same for my frosty :) thx for sharing

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

yea I seem to be only able to prop by accident when a leave falls in with the mother plant every time ive tried to do it on purpose I end up with soil topped with mushy or dried up leaves - I've tried to use what ive learned from people on here but for whatever reason my leaves don't wanna cooperate with me... hope some magic will happen eventually! goodluck

• spapa
    9 years ago

chinaphoenix,

You may want to start your own thread next time, but I can tell you your plant's in pretty rough shape. If it's been sitting in wet soil, that's a bad sign. Make sure you do a dry repot (meaning don't water after planting). It could use some light, too, but you'll want to transition it very slowly. Keep it out of direct light for now and work your way up over a week or two. It may be that it can't be saved -- if the roots have rotted it probably won't, and with the shape the leaves are in propagation wouldn't work either.

• spapa
    9 years ago

Chicagardens,

After the first two weeks, I will mist leaves about once a week. Some people mist more, some don't do anything. It will partly depend on your climate, whether you live in a humid region or not. Personally, though, I find that I can be quite successful when I simply ignore them!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!